iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Subcontracting tree services?

Started by boatman, October 31, 2009, 01:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

Does any one here have experience subcontracting a tree service to fell and top the trees.  Leaving only the trunks to be bucked and moved to the mill?  I would like to coordinate this as an additional service to the customer, this way I get to avoid the work and additional insurance expense.   

customsawyer

When I do that I let the tree service and the home owner work out there own deal. If you start out in the middle of it and something goes wrong you could end up in the middle of it.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

I have a tree service that regularly "donates" logs to me.  That way he doesn't have to pay a "disposal fee" to get rid of them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

yeah..you want to be careful there, I do some climbing takedowns for people, usually for the wood, but I am selective about the trees I am willing to mess with...you should contact a local, (certified and insured) arborist..they can pont you down the right path...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

I've done two jobs where I subcontracted services.

One was a labor subcontract, that wasn't so bad, the other one was a services sub-contract, where I subbed a kiln, and a molding service for a customer.  That was  PAIN.  not with the subs themselves, but I got stuck storing material, etc...

I would refer folks to your arborist of choice.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Meadows Miller

Gday

All the Boys have given very sound advice  ;) Custom was spoton about steering clear of been the meat in the sandwich which aint much fun just get them to deal direct with eachover   ;)
Zopi im like you and do alot of the falling and alittle climbing work but as im getting older im also getting very bloody fussy about what jobs ill even go to look at im only doing jobs now with a min of 10000 bft min in med to high grade logs as to muck around shifting gear in to load and shift trash/heads ect nd load trucks its easier to just buy what you want in most of the time  ;) as most tree lopping logs are low grade at the best of times and not worth the hassel unless they are geting landed in your yard or load you while they are on the job  ;) as it can turn into a logistical nightmare and the buget can blow out on you pretty bloody quick Mate ;) ??? :o :) ::)

Magic mans "Donated logs"  ;) are good most of the time but you will have to build up a good realtionship with some loppers and stipulate what you will take over time and sett some specs for what you will take  ;) ;D
i had one mill i managed for about 3 years where the boss loved free logs  ::) as they would deliver them aswell but we use to get some 40' semiloads that we just ended up burning 1/2 of it (limbs branches ect) Rob never stipulated what we would take tho and we where lucky that we could sell softwood firewood in the city ;)

Hope this helps  ;D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Ironwood

I gotta say, never really subbed out a job. I like to just connect the parties and show up when the butt log needs dropped. "Cuttem low boys, cuttem low" Mr Weyerhauser(sic) dying words.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

woodmills1

all of my logs are cut down by someone else.  some are bucked to length and some are not.  I have 2 full time and 5 or 6 part time cutters.  I refer any potential customers who have trees needing to be dropped to the tree services I pick up for.  about as far as I go is saying for this tree service, if they do the job and you want the lumber i will pick up for free.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!