iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Tree Fallin'

Started by C_Miller, September 18, 2003, 05:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_Miller

My son (15) has been helping me by skidding trees out with the tractor and drawbar while I run the mill.  He's been leary of the chainsaw and dropping trees so when he walked over to grab the chainsaw I asked him why. he said he'd got the tractor hung up and needed to take out a tree to move. I was nervous about letting him go by himself but he seemed confident (not cocky) so I let him go.  Finished up the log on the mill and went up after him. the tree was down and the tractor movin' so all went well.
I asked him how dropping the tree went he said"Cool, I liked the swish-whump part the best"   I guess now I gotta get him his own chainsaw.

C
CJM

CHARLIE

I'd say your boy is growing up! 8) :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

biziedizie

I think what you did was good and I also think that you instilled some confidence in to your son by letting him pick up that saw and not saying anything. :) I hope that he has safety gear like chaps, gloves and a face shield.
  I can guarantee that there are pro's here that will disagree with what I just said and I give them credit for their opinions and reasons but this was a father knowing his sons capabilities.  :)
  I think you did good but I would think it would be a cool thing if you got your boy on board here so he could ask questions and get excellent advice about chainsaw safety.  8)
  I've read the chainsaw catagory that we have here and there's some guys here that can give excellent advice.  8)

Steve

C_Miller

10-4 on the safety.  I see the "Game of Logging" in our future too.
Don't want to many bad habits forming right away. I have enough for both of us. :D

C
CJM

Larry

I went to the GOL training about 4 years ago and there were two father son teams there.  The boys put it to the old man on point score because they hadn't up picked a lot of the bad habits.

One father son team took home tails of the goings on and grandpa who has logged for 50 years decided it was time for him to take the training and signed up for the next session.

Best training I have ever been to.  All of the old time loggers picked up a lot of points that make things easier or prevent an injury.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

OneWithWood

I would really like to get in to a GOL class or something similar.  I have sent in an app twice to the nearest GOL I know of but I never get a response.  I guess there is not enough interest in my area.
Does anybody know of any chainsaw training classes within a day's drive of Bloomington, IN?
I've been felling trees and cutting firewood for goin on 30 years but I know there is stuff I can learn.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kevin

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!