iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cape Breton Coyote attack

Started by Mooseherder, October 28, 2009, 07:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibseeker

That's a tragedy. What a senseless way to die. Are hikers allowed to carry firearms for personal protection?
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Roxie

For those with a slow connection:

TORONTO – Two coyotes attacked a promising young musician as she was hiking alone in a national park in eastern Canada, and authorities said she died Wednesday of her injuries.

The victim was identified as Taylor Mitchell, 19, a singer-songwriter from Toronto who was touring her new album on the East Coast.

She was hiking solo on a trail in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday when the attack occurred. She was airlifted to a Halifax hospital in critical condition and died Wednesday morning, authorities said.

Coyotes, which also are known as prairie wolves, are found from Central America to the United States and Canada.
Say when

sawguy21

ibseeker, we are normally not allowed to carry firearms for personal protection. There are exceptions but hiking in Nova Scotia is not one of them.
Strange that coyotes would attack. She might have have surprised them while with a kill.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Brucer

I live smack in the middle of coyote and black bear country. In fact, both species travel regularly past my house as they head into town looking for food. For a human adult to be attacked by either one is extremely rare. Both types of critters size up other animals (including us) as either prey or peer. If a person acts like prey, a black bear or coyote might try to bring her/him down. When a person acts like a peer (alert, respectful, not going to put up with any guff) the critters usually respond in kind -- unless they are really hungry or really sick.

Last I heard they were trying to track the coyotes and try to kill one so's they could check for rabies.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

beenthere

I'd suspect she tried to run from them, and that is sometimes what starts the 'chase'. Sorry to hear it, and sorry to hear that she was out walking alone. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

They are investigating to see if the animals were sick. They already shot one , but it escaped, and looking for them both now. I walk among coyotes all the time and out west I was near wolves to, although wolves rarely showed themselves. Tracks were always around camp and water's edge. We was never even barked at or snarled at. About two weeks ago I was on the woodlot and a pack of 4 coyotes, I could count from their howling opened up just before dark as I was walking the road. They were not far into the woods. A week ago a lynx walked right in the middle of our thinning operations and crossed the road twice, some of the fellows seen it and said it was heading down my strip line. I never seen a sign of nothing and a brush saw with an 9" blade is real effective at removing head and legs. ;) Week before I heard coyotes at the end of one day. I only seen one coyote on the road out there all summer. Lots of hare around so lynx and coyotes have lots of food to eat. Set your saw down on the ground and do a little work around it and see all the hare dung on the ground. They could use some thinning to. Cutting brush makes more homes for'm. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Hilltop366

It is a sad story, and makes me wonder I usually hear them a few times a week at night sometimes less than 200' from my house and have seen them (although rarely) during the day in my yard.

I admit I am a bit nervous a keep a sharp eye out when my 4 year old daughter is outside. I am rather passive when it comes to wildlife but I have been thinking since summer some coyote thinning might be in order.

Note the eastern coyote is generally larger than western ones. I have seen some (killed) that weighed 60lbs. it may have some thing to do with diet as there is not a lot of predator competition.

Norm

We have them come up to our house at night too. I shot them on sight as they are very hard on the sheep herds my neighbor has. Ours get pretty good size, I had one that I popped that was easily 60#.

They are also very spooky, I don't think I've ever seen one not take off the other direction going as fast as they can. Might have to do with we can carry a gun and they've learned it well.

stonebroke

We had a pack of coyotes attack a neighbors beef herd a few years ago. Killed three ,three hundred pound calves. Happened not five hundred feet froma state troopers house. The trooper will not let his little kids out to play anymore. Figures if they can take down three hundred pound calves little kids do not have a chance.

Stonebroke

sbishop

sad story, we have a yote that has been hanging around our backyard for a couple of weeks now, saw it once...was having supper with some townie friends...the wife rolled her eyes when i had that look on my face..."i'm going to get my gun"...so i couldn't take care of business.

Wife saw it at the beginning of the week running around in the backyard.

Next time i'm ready!

Sbishop

Mooseherder

I'm thinking there are a lot more people that will go after Coyotes because of what happened to this young woman.

Chico

Sad deal I too would check for rabies there are cases where they will pursue people but it is unusual but I could give a rat A$$ about their rules I carry my gun every where I go If I die it'll be because I ran out of ammo those laws are BS
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Trax

Attacks on humanes are not as uncommon as some might think.

http://varmintal.com/attac.htm

easymoney

in tennessee there has been an uproar about where people with concealed gun permits should be allowed to take their guns. i would feel safer in a park or woods if i or someone neat had a gun in case of a dangerous wild anamil. but there are some that want guns banned from almost everywhere.

SwampDonkey

Even before we had gun rules that we have now, all provincial and federal parks here forbid guns unless they were cased or wrapped and tied in a blanket and had to be declared at the gate. I figure the law is the law, not a personal attack on my well being. Heck, if everyone declared laws of any kind null and void because they didn't side with it what would we have?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 30, 2009, 06:07:49 PM
...............Heck, if everyone declared laws of any kind null and void because they didn't side with it what would we have?

Maybe we (USA) would still be under British rule.  ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chico

Yeah and with my drawl I sure would sound silly speaking with that Bristish acccent mixed in :D
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

SwampDonkey

Well the point was lost I guess. We aren't under British rule here, we are just loyal. We are our own country last I checked. Don't really know the point of that argument. Follow the laws of the land I say. Give the citizens a vote and there will be change, but lawful ones. Heck, if we want let's go back to the cave and make our arguments.  Bring your water buffalo thigh bone to make your point easier to get across. ;) :D

Hilltop366

O man.... Can open......Worms everywhere!!

TeaW

I have never talked to a law abiding Canaidian gun owner who was happy with our gun laws, they have been a big waste of time and money. Take note, this is what happens when you have liberals in power for long.
TeaW

SwampDonkey

Quote from: TeaW on October 31, 2009, 12:43:41 PM
I have never talked to a law abiding Canaidian gun owner who was happy with our gun laws, they have been a big waste of time and money. Take note, this is what happens when you have liberals in power for long.

I'm with ya.  ;) I hear this week they are trying to table a Bill to scrap the long gun registry. All it's been is a tax on gun owners. Never proven to save a life. Are criminals going to register their arms? Nope. That's been proven too when the drug cops make an arrest, firearms are always seized and persons charged for possession. So one can only assume they are not registered.

nas

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 31, 2009, 12:51:26 PM
Quote from: TeaW on October 31, 2009, 12:43:41 PM

I'm with ya.  ;) I hear this week they are trying to table a Bill to scrap the long gun registry. All it's been is a tax on gun owners. Never proven to save a life. Are criminals going to register their arms? Nope. That's been proven too when the drug cops make an arrest, firearms are always seized and persons charged for possession. So one can only assume they are not registered.
Sure they were registered, before the criminals used the gun registry to find out where they were and went and stole them! :o
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Thank You Sponsors!