iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small diesels for small mills

Started by boatman, October 28, 2009, 09:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boatman

Does any one here have experience with the small diesels offered on some of the new manual mills?  I prefer diesels to gas, how do they compare hp to hp.  Is a 10hp diesel as powerful as a 15 gas?

fishpharmer

Boatman, I don't have that experience.  Yet, there has been alot of discussion about the diesels.  Might want to search.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

T Red

I don't have any experience with the smaller diesels either.  The hp ratings should be equivalent.  Depending on the design the diesel may(should) have more torque.  I love diesels but when you get that small the diesels just cost too much compared to the gas. 
Tim

sdunston

I replaced the engine on my wood spliter a few years ago with a yenmar copy and am very happy with it lots of power and uses a lot less fuel then the 10hp gas motor
http://www.carrollstream.net/
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jasperfield

I keep waitin' for Woodmizer to offer their small air-cooled diesel for us here in the U.S.

bandmiller2

Small aircooled diesels are very economical to operate,but are expensive ,heavy ,noisy,smelly,and tend to be hard starting when its cold.I'am not talking about the larger water cooled electic start diesels.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moonhill

You listed all the things I love about diesels.  I have only one gas engine and that is on the edger, it coughs and sputters and uses a lot of fuel, it seems every time I turn around it needs more.  I really like diesels they have their issues as well but they run nice as long as you keep your filters clean. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

york

Frank,you are right-i have a Ruggerini diesel on my TH-think 23 hp-some day it will be for sale,going to get the biggest Honda,i can get.......Bert
Albert

amberwood

I have two copies of the Yanmar 10hp single, one in a 5kva genset and the other was in a small bandmill that I originally built. Gobs of torque and amazingly low fuel consumption. I can run the genset for a full day and not empty a 5l fuel tank. Downside, hugely noisy and massive vibration.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

bandmiller2

Years ago I built a log splitter with a Hatz diesel,by the time I got it running in the winter i was too pooped to split wood,swapped it off to a guy for a steam engine,that always started.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tyb525

The vibration will be a big issue with a small mill. Unless you can get a twin diesel, that would run somewhat smoother.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

boatman

I sure do like this forum.  Thanks for all the replies, this site is a great research tool.

ladylake

You would have trouble getting my 28 hp Isuzu diesel that replaced the original 27 hp Kohler away from me. It cuts way faster and uses 1/2 the fuel.  At idle it shakes some and is a little noisy, at cutting speed its smooth and not to much louder than the Kohler.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

firecord

Surplus Center has an awsome deal on a 13.4 hp yanmar.  rated for 3600 rpm continous duty.  less than $800
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009103020071284&item=28-1684&catname=engines
I have almost the same engine on a riding mower seems smoth enough.

ladylake

Speaking of riding mowers, the would be a good source for a good cheap diesel with all the accessory's    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

T Red

Quote from: ladylake on October 31, 2009, 04:56:50 AM
Speaking of riding mowers, the would be a good source for a good cheap diesel with all the accessory's    Steve

I'm in the planning stages of a bandmill and I'm using a commercial Toro front mower for the engine (Mitsubishi diesel), hydraulic pump, and hydrostatic unit.  I used the mower for years but the pinion housing broke and it is no longer worth fixing.  I'm trying to figure out how to use the hydrostat for power feed.
Tim

Magicman

Quote from: firecord on October 30, 2009, 09:15:30 PMrated for 3600 rpm continous duty. 

The RPM rating should be a key issue, and Welcome to FF..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ladylake

Quote from: T Red on October 31, 2009, 08:30:40 AM
Quote from: ladylake on October 31, 2009, 04:56:50 AM

I'm in the planning stages of a bandmill and I'm using a commercial Toro front mower for the engine (Mitsubishi diesel), hydraulic pump, and hydrostatic unit.  I used the mower for years but the pinion housing broke and it is no longer worth fixing.  I'm trying to figure out how to use the hydrostat for power feed.

My B20 TK  uses 2 NO 40 roller chains in a loop with a hydraulic motor that drives the chains which pull the head back and forth.    Steve

Thank You Sponsors!