iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Missouri pine tree identification

Started by caver, October 26, 2009, 07:11:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caver

Is this a short leaf pine? Located in Southern Central Missouri Ozarks. Sunglasses on tree for sense of scale. 

That one had died but here is one of his neighbors.

Obviously I don't know my trees.  ;D
Baker HD18

WDH

If it is shortleaf, there will be little round dimple shaped pitch pockets on the bark.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caver

I didn't see the pitch pockets but may not know what I'm looking at.
I was over at the farm today.
Baker HD18

SwampDonkey

Looks plausible. I think it's the only native pine in that area isn't it?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Sure looks like shortleaf to me.  The needles will be in bundles of mostly 2's, however, there can be a mix of 2's and 3's even on the same branch.  Loblolly always has only 3's. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

The needles also have two different shapes in x-section. One is semi round and the other is triangular. Might be something to do with shade, don't know.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caver

I'll check some of the other nearby pines (bark looks the same) the next time I'm over there to see what the needles look like. Thanks for the help.
Baker HD18

WDH

CAver,

Take a close-up pic of the bark.

caver

Will do if I can. That section in the photo of has been run through my mill. I still have the top section but the bark was falling off.
Baker HD18

chainspinrunner

Grose

semologger

Yes short leaf is native to  here and thats about all we have. We have some loblolly but thats been planted. We have some White but also planted. Go to the Missouri Depatment of  Conservataion and look up some info. To make sure.

semologger

Here is the MDC Link for ya to  look at Maybe it will help ya out. http://www.mdc.mo.gov/nathis/plantpage/flora/motrees/p5.htm

What part of southeast Mo you from Carver? Its nice to see another Missouri feller on here

Thank You Sponsors!