iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rusty Blades

Started by wls, October 26, 2009, 08:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wls

I have 2 bandmill blades that were left outside, for like a year, pretty rusty. Can a guy get these resharpened? Thanks

Tom

I don't think I would spend the money on them.  You might clean them up and touch them up with a little side grinder, just to see if you could use them one more time.   The rust, in that length of time has probably compromised the strength of the band body.  If you do, try to get the heavy rust off of them so that your guides aren't damaged.

barbender

Throw them on your mill and make a few cuts if they are sharp enough, they will clean up and you can see if they are pitted bad. I've never seen one rust bad enough to do structural damage myself, and I frequently leave blades laying outside.
Too many irons in the fire

ely

i took a bunch of blades that had been discarded by the guy that owned my dads mill before. some were even buried in sawdust and looked really bad. i sharpened them on my cooks. and they cut for a while. i think we had a few that like tom said were too far gone, they popped early on after the first resharp.

ok to try if have your own sharpening equip. but probably not worth it to send out.

Thank You Sponsors!