iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help ID This Caterpillar

Started by WDH, October 26, 2009, 08:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

An associate found this caterpillar and stated that it was eating pine needles from a loblolly pine.  I have never seen this caterpillar before, and I hoped that one of you caterpillar types could ID it?

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

Eacles Imperialis

An Imperial Moth

WDH

Outstanding!  I knew that I could count on a good bug man like you  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

I see the same or very similar looking caterpillar on Alligatorweed around ponds.  Never took time to ID it. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

SPIKER

we see them up here often on tomatoes hence what we always called them mater worms :)

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Dodgy Loner

SPIKER, I think what you're referring to is probably a tomato hornworm, which looks similar, but is smaller with a single long, black spine on his hind end.

Also, not to be terribly contrary, but WDH's bug looks more like a luna moth caterpillar than an imperial moth caterpillar
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SPIKER

Dodgy: yep thats it :D   I didnt know there were more than one BIG GREEN caterpillar!

sure are some funky critters out there...
mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

Giant silk worm, if it is large with eye spots when adult. I've had giant silk worms on my walnut trees. Never more than 1 or 2 at a time. I killed one adult one fall in the basement. Remember I posted a pic of a smooshed moth? ;D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!