iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Clutch Removeal (how to)

Started by mr_ed, October 26, 2009, 06:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr_ed

How do I remove the clutch from a Poulan Wood Shark 1800.

Thanks to all that replied to a previous post to my oiling problem of the Wood Shark 1800.
I think that I have narrowed it down to a possiable restriction at the pump, or oil line failure.

While I am at it I am going to change the drive sprocked.
What is the procedure to remove the clutch and sprocked on this saw?

Thanks
Mr Ed.

Rocky_J

I've never seen a Poulan 1800 but they all use about the same procedure. The clutch assembly screws onto the crank, which has left handed threads (keeps the clutch from spinning off when running the saw). You have to stop the crank from turning by using a piston stop and then spin the clutch assembly clockwise to remove it. Some of them have a hex cast into the end so you can use a wrench or socket, others just have a notch for you to set a punch (or old screwdriver) and hit it with a hammer to spin the clutch off.

mr_ed

Thank you Rocky.
What could I use to stop the piston that would not damage it?
Thanks again for your held.

gemniii

Quote from: mr_ed on October 27, 2009, 11:01:53 AM
Thank you Rocky.
What could I use to stop the piston that would not damage it?
Thanks again for your held.
Rope
Get the piston high, take a foot of rope and feed SOME in NOT ALL to block the piston.

beenthere

What does "get the piston high" mean?
If at the top end of the stroke (which it sounds like to me), then the rope wouldn't feed in very well nor could one compress against the rope to stop the piston. But maybe I am missing something in the procedure.  ::)

Any rope, or something like 1/4" nylon, or similar?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

High meaning get the piston up high enough so you don't stuff the rope into the transfer ports . Yep,a starter  rope works very well .

SwampDonkey

On my brush saw I just have two bolts to turn out and they are right hand thread because the blade spins left. I just take part of the case off the front and stick a spark plug wrench between two fins of the fly wheel. You gotta be careful though, not to break a fin off. So I go gentle. ;D

I know Al's method works, I know guys that do it that way. They also have to be careful not to break off some rope down there. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Well now more than one flywheel has been rendered useless by that fin method .

The rope or nylon stop works well . Stihl however suggests a tool which looks like a large oil filter strap wrench which grips the flywheel for removal of the clutch . I don't personally know anyone who owns one though .

Rocky_J

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 28, 2009, 05:15:00 AM
On my brush saw I just have two bolts to turn out and they are right hand thread because the blade spins left. I just take part of the case off the front and stick a spark plug wrench between two fins of the fly wheel. You gotta be careful though, not to break a fin off. So I go gentle. ;D

I know Al's method works, I know guys that do it that way. They also have to be careful not to break off some rope down there. ;)
Changing the clutch on my pickup truck involves dropping the transmission, but what does that have to do with chainsaws?
I've broken fins off the flywheel as well, gave up using that method when I was a teenager.

joe_indi

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 27, 2009, 06:31:24 PM
High meaning get the piston up high enough so you don't stuff the rope into the transfer ports . Yep,a starter  rope works very well .
Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 28, 2009, 05:15:00 AM

A screw driver can indicate when the piston is above the exhaust port, which is the highest port.
Once the piston is there, the risk of the starter rope going into a transfer port is zero.
The same method works on brushcutters too.
Blocking the flywheel fins is just the easiest way to invite trouble.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 28, 2009, 06:17:44 AM
Stihl however suggests a tool which looks like a large oil filter strap wrench which grips the flywheel for removal of the clutch . I don't personally know anyone who owns one though .

I wonder if you can use one of those rubber type grips, kinda like a oil filter wrench. You can take and feed one end around the fins and put it back into the handle to grip the fly wheel.

However, I can't disagree with you guys on my method. Rarely do I need to replace a clutch. ;)

Angle gear though, I went through two older ones this summer and just got a brand new one today.

Rocky, just a matter of conversation, even if it's a brush saw. Maybe next I'll talk about how to make coffee. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I don't have a clue what this brush saw gizmo is I hear so much about .I assume it's a souped up weed wacker with a blade .

If it is made like a weed wacker or pole saw ,most you have to remove the engine to even get to the clutch  which is entirely a horse of a different color than a Poulan chainsaw .

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 28, 2009, 05:27:13 PM
I don't have a clue what this brush saw gizmo is I hear so much about .I assume it's a souped up weed wacker with a blade .

If it is made like a weed wacker or pole saw ,most you have to remove the engine to even get to the clutch  which is entirely a horse of a different color than a Poulan chainsaw .

Yes, basically a straight shaft weed whacker. On the FS550, to get to the clutch all you do is turn out 4 screws where the shaft meets the power unit. Takes about 2 minutes. Then on the power unit, just turn out the spark plug cover and the 4 screws holding the molding under that to get to the fly wheel. Just about the easiest power tool to maintain there is. Expensive parts though, $374 with tax for an angle gear. ::) These are German made saws by Stihl, blades all coming from Sweden, no matter what brand we buy. Japan had a blade once, but it was too soft a steel, so now there brand is made in Sweden. :D

SwampDonkey

A photo for your pleasure.

52 cc, 22 lbs.

Al_Smith

Interesting  ,never saw on in action or actually at all other than that photo . Looks like something they would use to cut Christmas trees with .

If it's easy to work on it can't be a Stihl because they never made anything really easy . :D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 29, 2009, 05:49:29 AM
Looks like something they would use to cut Christmas trees with .

Well, I think I cut 10 trailer loads of Christmas tree sized fir this summer for sure - 6 inch buts. :D I take down maple as tall as 25 feet and aspen 30-35 feet. Nice when ya see one of them pin cherry with 10 inch but on a berm pile. Where there's one there is many. ::) We were cutting one lot and I think they thought pin cherry was a commercial tree because 50 % of it was pin cherry, nothing else to leave.  :-X Mostly we were cutting red spruce, fir and some black spruce plantation. We are in aspen ground now, it's fast cutting in there, but a waste of good silviculture money.  But, what do I know the forest company wants it cut. ::) :-X

Youtube has videos of bush whacking.

beenthere

Nothing like the bushwhacking we used to do.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Al_Smith

Quote from: beenthere on October 29, 2009, 05:17:38 PM
Nothing like the bushwhacking we used to do.  8)
I nearly wore my self out bushwacking  :D Well-----

Thank You Sponsors!