iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl wood boss 028 av carb settings

Started by toesmasher, October 25, 2009, 08:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toesmasher

i'd like to know the amount of turns back on the hi & lo carb screws, the sticker is torn and its been messed with. i've got it running, idling and cutting, but dont want the thing to lean out and burn up, so please help

joe_indi

First thing to do is make sure the air filter, pickup body and spark plug are clean.
The next thing is to fill up the tank with fresh fuel.
Screw in both the L and H screws and  back off ,.............now here's what I do whenever I think that there could be a risk of too lean a setting to start with, I turn the screws out 1 1/2 turns.
Have the chain and bar fitted on the saw when you set the carb.
Start up the saw and warm it up for a minute.
Turn in the idle screw (LA) till the engine idles with your hands off the throttle.
Now turn in the L screw slowly. The idle speed will increase then drop with the engine running a bit rough.Back off the L screw from this point till the speed drops.From this point turn the L screw in 2 minutes.(like you would move the minute hand on a clock 2 minutes forward).

Turn out the Idle screw if the idle speed is too high.

Okay, now have the screwdriver in the H screw. Go to full throttle. The engine should  four stroke heavily.Turn in the H screw till the engine stops four stroking.The rpm will also increase when you turn the H screw in.
Let the engine go back to idle.
Now go back to full throttle.
Back off the H screw till the engine just starts to four stroke.
Let the engine go back to idle
Your high speed is set now.
You need to confirm now if the L screw setting is correct.
Do the next three actions without any pause in between.
Go to full throttle, move the brake handle forward and let go of the throttle.
The engine should not die down or run too slow and then pickup idle speed.
In that case, open the L screw a bit till the idle speed drops, increase the idle by turning in the  LA screw.
Try the bit with the throttle and brake once more.
Once the idle speed just misses a beat and then settles to its regular speed, the idle setting is okay.

If the H and L screws have to be turned out 2 turns or so, check the  engine carefully for air leaks or a weak pump diaphragm  before you go any further.
Likewise, if the L and H screws have to be turned in nearly to their stops, check the carb for a leaking metering needle.

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!