iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Vitamin D

Started by Larry, October 25, 2009, 06:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Few months ago I took Dad to the Dr.  Dad is 89 and doesn't get much sun or the proper food to maintain his proper vitamin D level.  Doc put him on 5,000 units/day and gave us a little information about how important vitamin D is in our daily lives.  He said most Americans are deficient just because we don't get nuff sun.  I didn't much believe it all at the time...but Kathy asked her Doctor and I asked my Doc on the next appointment.  All three said the same thing about vitamin D...it reduces fractures (good for us old farts), tooth decay, cancer, diabetes, and other problems.

Kathy got tested for her vitamin D level...it was low so she now takes 4,000 units/day.  I didn't get tested but I get a lot of sun.  I started on 2,000 units/day.  Best part it's cheap.

So...you all might ask your Doc the next time your in his office.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sprucebunny

I read that D3 is the best supplement to get. It is more available in your system particularly when swallowed with a little fat.
Vitamin D is only produced when an animal is in the sun. Many dairy cows are kept in a building so they won't poop in a field so there won't be 'runoff' and they don't get enough sun and they don't produce vitamin D in thier milk so it is added by a dairy but they use D2 which isn't as available to your system.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Warbird

We have that problem here in Alaska, during the deep winter.  21 hours of darkness per day, along with -40, -50 F and colder temps...  folks get depressed and unhealthy.

Larry, did your dad or wife notice any positive improvements once they started taking it?

Larry

I didn't know what the 3 meant...but we are taking D3.  I also did not know about the cows.  Thanks for the explanation sprucebunny.

Warbird, we think D3 has helped with my Dad's depression but that is sorta subjective at this point.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Raider Bill

Funny this should come up as there is a article in this mornings paper about the lack of Vitamin D.

Once again the Forestry Forum is on the leading edge! ;D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Gary_C

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 25, 2009, 06:48:10 PM
I read that D3 is the best supplement to get. It is more available in your system particularly when swallowed with a little fat.
Vitamin D is only produced when an animal is in the sun. Many dairy cows are kept in a building so they won't poop in a field so there won't be 'runoff' and they don't get enough sun and they don't produce vitamin D in thier milk so it is added by a dairy but they use D2 which isn't as available to your system.

Milk has been fortified with Vitamin D since the 1930's to prevent Rickets, a childhood disease. It was said back in the 30's that the industrial revolution allowed humans to live indoors more and wear more clothes and thus needed vitamin supplementation. The same can be said for cows as most are now kept indoors for much of the time for a lot of reasons not necessarily connected with poop. However cows kept indoors have a very regulated diet including vitamin supplements and most farms also keep cows under flourescent lights for 18 or more hours a day to make sure the cows get adequate UV light for all sorts of health, comfort, and production reasons. Even if cows produced the maximum vitamin D they could in milk, it would still not be enough to make up for the shortage in the human environment and nutrition.

Vitamin D2 is the form of vitamin D that is generally produced by plants and invertebrates. Vitamin D3 is the form of vitamin D that is produced by animals including humans and cows. There has not been shown any difference in either form of vitamin D nor has there been shown any difference in the vitamin D that is naturally produced in the body and the supplements. Both of the forms of vitamin D are considered prohormones which essentially means they are the fuels that the liver and kidneys use to produce Calcitriol (1,25-Dihydroxycholecalciferol) which is the active form of vitamin D found in the body. So you should not be concerned about which form of vitamin D you are using for a supplement.

It is generally accepted that the body needs about 400 units per day but the recommended level of supplement is normally up to 1000 units per day. However some claim this is not enough as the supplements are not effective. The recommended maximum level is 2000 units per day, and there are some that think that should be 10,000 units per day. The generally accepted toxic level of dosing per day is generally though to be around 100,000 units per day.

Keep in mind the conversion of Vitamin D to calcitrol in the body is highly regulated internally by your body so the higher dosing levels may just be a selling ploy.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bill

I would get enough sunshine - if the dang fool thing would ever poke its head through the clouds . . .

( in the middle of another ten day stint of 5-6 days of rain and 4-5 days of clouds starting to make moving down to the sunshine state sound good - good thing I grew webbing between my toes  ;D  )

SwampDonkey

My milk jug says vitamin D3 added. I don't drink a lot of milk, maybe 2 litres a week, so I do have D3 supplement, but I don't take it every day. I'm outside most every day during the week working. But, this winter I suppose I'll take more. The ones I have are 1000 IU's.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

I am also taking vit D under the suggestion of the doctor.  2800 units. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

sprucebunny

This barn must be using secret, invisible lights. At least the cows have a nice view.

Today, the poor things had had enough and several escaped. But cows aren't the smartest creatures and though they looked pretty happy to be under the real sky; they didn't know what to do next  :D
Thier cousins in California had told them about how much fun they were having but these NH cows just can't find the bus stop  :D

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!