iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Short Birch Lumber

Started by Percy, September 17, 2003, 09:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

There are getting to be more and more outfits buying birch lumber cut in 3.25 inches wide by 1.25 thick(5/4) by  several differnt lengths from just over 12 inches to just over 2 feet. Has any of you ever done this type of cutting before?? they only accept clears and mostly the white wood. The lumber is shipped green in refrigerated containers/trucks etc.

I need to know the most efficient way of chop sawing these "chunks" and a rough idea of what the price outta be. Im tring to figure out if this is worth chasing or not....

The outfit that I got some info from  is IKE TRADING CO.
in Beaverton, Oregon.

Any info on wether this is a good idea or not would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Percy
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Gus

I used to sell some poplar logs once in awhile to a fellow that had a contract with the state for survey stakes. I doubt they are making stakes but it sounds alot like it would be about the same process. Trick would be to find someone doing that type of sawing and compare notes.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

MemphisLogger

I keep a beat up old Craftsman radial arm saw out in my carport for turning No. 1 into FAS. Just set up some roller tables on either side of the saw's table and you can use it for chopping or ripping. Just BE CAREFUL when ripping  :D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

beenthere

UrbanLogger

What are you doing with a cut-off saw that would turn No. 1 into FAS? For sure, the board will be shorter. :)

Are you applying some tricks to the NHLA grading rules? Whatever you do, would be interesting to know and to share.

Thanks for any info.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

MemphisLogger

Howdy beenthere!

I never thought about it until I read "A Simplified Procedure
for Developing Grade Lumber From Hardwood Logs" by the Forest Products Laboratory http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/fplrn/fplrn98.pdf

Chopping the ends off some boards gets you FAS by removing wane, checks, etc. as long as the resulting length doesn't end up any shorter than 8 feet.

Ripping some boards gets you FAS by knocking off wane or knots as long as the resulting board doesn't get any narrower than 6 inches.

Either way, you lose some footage (mine goes into the stove) but you end up with higher value lumber.

I'm not a certified grader but several of my customers trust my judgement as if I were. By knocking off defects without going below grade width or length requirements, I can safely put stuff that comes off the saw as Common in with the FAS or Select without risking complaints.  :)

Personally, as a furniture maker, I'm happier having the whole board even if it's Common. In fact, when I was still buying my wood, I looked through the No. 1 before I went to the pricey racks.  ;)

I guess some woodworkers just havn't figured out how to rough cut their boards with a jigsaw before going to the tablesaw  ::)      
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Kevin_H.

I think beyond turning #1 into fas you could also do some good sell clear shorts. Although I do not have any first hand knowlege at this I believe that there is a market for clear shorts, Say 50" long no less that 6" wide.

Most weekend wood workers rarely build anything using a board more that 48" long. Just a thought.

Percy, I do remember just after buying my WM There was a couple of companies buying red oak like that, I think it was going to places like eathan allen.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Percy

Apparently, from what Ive heard, these chunks are planed, then glued together  green and thin veneers are slice offa the glued up chunks and this white wood veneer is glued to allsorts of stuff. Supposedly it goes mostly to the far east(Japan, China). I was told the wood is frozen for shipping to avoid mold.

Im starting to think, mebey we should be doing whatever the hell they are doing with it, here in North America and send them the finished product instead of the raw materials....just a thot ::)
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodmills1

As I have said before with a table saw, skill saw, planer and jointer you can take a board no one will give you a dollar for and turn it into 6 bucks. 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

MP_Wall

The problem with the shorts being sent to the far east is that they dont want the wood only the value added, as the wood is glued screwed and tattoed and then sent back to the states for sale at places like Ikea and any cheap old furniture shop. Where we pay 6 buck for the boards the orientals weren't paying a buck for.  That explains alot of our balance of trade problems here in the states. Ship out raw material and import finished goods.

MP Wall

Thank You Sponsors!