iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Never assume

Started by Jeff, November 08, 2003, 05:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Quite often because of where I work or my web work local people contact me about their trees. For the last couple weeks one of my sons buddies (his name is Justin, they call him Pig, dunno why) has been after me to go look at some trees on a lot he bought. He had started clearing it to build and was blocking stuff into firewood but thought that maybe he should ask me to come out cause he thought that a few were big enough to get a few bucks out of.

Well, I knew the area, right up by houghton lake. and sitting right on its back waters, its known for its crappie aspen and low grade oak. I told him not to get his hopes up and put him off a couple three times. People are always clearing lots and think their trees are worth a bundle and usually if not most of the time they are not worth the bother. Finally, yesterday he cornered me and got me to drive up with him.

Well, we got off of 127 on 55 and then turned off on another road going North. Crappie aspen and black oak along the route. The road made a slight turn and dropped in elevation and just at that time Pig pulled over.

I looked to my right down the drive he started to clear and there stood the first of about 20 Northern red oak pushing 100 foot tall and all stem and hardly any tops. Mostly up-wards of 24-25 inches and some 30. A few smaller but all very high quality. Several nice aspen and a few ash, basswood, balsam fir, hemlock and on the back some very nice Northern White cedar that Justin promised me if I could find somebody to come out and look at his trees.

I will never assume again that a small piece of timber is probably not worth bothering with. Today I took Jake, our Forest Tech out there. Justin is going to end up getting a fair portion of his purchase price of the property back by the sale of these Trees. He was hoping to make a thousand, he will make almost 7 hundred on just the first two trees Jake measured. There look to be a couple three already down that would have been worth some dollars 'cept we don't buy 16" long logs. :o

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Stump Jumper

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

David_c

thems some nice trees. 8) 8) 8) 8)

oakiemac

Them Red Oaks look like the ones that I saw over at the "interesting guys" house that I wrote about in an earlyier post. Dandy trees!
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Texas Ranger

Jake's got a purty good dbh his own bad self. ;D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Jake came and picked me up and wouldn't go on to to da woods before we stopped at Big Boy for a buffet Breakfast. :D

Ron Scott

Yes, always look at the timber. Who will be doing the harvest for Jake?
~Ron

Jeff

Jake was going to do it himself, but we have to guys tied up in Pennsylvania picking up a sawmill Ray bought at an auction so Jake is committed to the west mill right now so he is going to have Ritchie cut them. They are to nice to trust to anybody but an experienced feller.

whitepe

Jeff,
Cool I knew food would get brought into this thread somehow ;)
Those oaks look nicer than the white oaks that I had
that you said would make nice veneer logs.  :)

blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Frickman

Nice looking timber! I always make a point of visiting every woodlot I can, as you never know what you'll find. One time we bought thirteen cherry trees behind a house that was down the road from another job. Even if the woodlot doesn't turn out to be much, you've shown the owner that you are willing to look, and he'll tell all his buddies about you. One such gentleman has led me to five tracts so far, so the two hours I spent looking at his backyard pine tree has paid off well.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Viking

Quotethems some nice trees. 8) 8) 8) 8)

they sure are :)

Dave Shepard

I've been looking for some nice white pine logs for a timber frame order. The log broker I'm working with is having trouble finding what I need, with less than a week to delivery. :o My co-worker has been telling me to check out his land about two miles from me. "I've got some really big pine over there". I really don't want big pine for timbers, and certainly not a big multi-leader disaster. After I got the news yesterday that I might not have logs to saw on Monday, I was getting a little nervous. He told me to stop at his house, he had some pines that had been planted. Red pine, I thought. Going up the driveway, my spirits dropped. There was a ton of red pine. Nice red pine, if there is such a thing, but no good for me. However, up by the house, there were some decent whites, even a couple of superb examples of the species. OK, now, I've at least got something to whittle on while I'm waiting on the log broker I thought. He told me to stop in at his land on the way back to my house. I drove down the narrow right of way to his piece of land and stopped as soon as I got to the first chunk of pines. I got out, walked 50 into the woods and got out my cell phone.

Dean: Hello?
Dave: Hi Dean, it's Dave, do you own the land on either side of the firewood pile?
Dean: Yes.
Dave: How far?
Dean: About 300' either way.
Dave: We're all set then. 8) 8)

There's enough high quality pine in there to fill the order and then some. Dropping the machine off tomorrow. :D You just never know until you look.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

I need some serendipity like that.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

:D :D There is a local logger/hobby miller who always cuts trees that are bigger than yours. No matter how huge yours are, he cut bigger ones. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tonich

Beautiful trees!!!
If I was the government, I would pay the owner the timber equal cash to let them stand, as they are! :)

Ed_K

I'd like to get one cherry lot before its over.
Great to see some good news and good spirits here. Its all in the looking up  8) .
Ed K

DanG

Well it has been six years now, and we still haven't heard how Pig came out on his trees.  They gottem on the ground yet? ::) ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

They are long gone.. There is now a house standing there along with a wife and a baby. :)

Thank You Sponsors!