iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pumkin seeds

Started by D Hagens, October 23, 2009, 11:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hagens

Hi guys, I'm wondering about the best way to do pumpkin seeds in an oven. Also does anyone have a good recipe?
  I looked online and it seems to be the same old stuff.
  Any help would be great! :)

jdtuttle

We wash them then dry them in paper towels. After that coat them with just a little bit of olive oil. Place them under the broiler when they start to get crisp on the top flip them over till crisp. Take em out and put them in a basket lined with paper towels & salt to taste.  ;)
Have a great day

Tom

Shucks, I thought you were talking about bream fishing.  :D

D Hagens

The olive oil sounds interesting, does it cook a little different then everyday cooking oil?

Tom, what's brean fishing? :D :D I tried to google it. :D

Tom

Ya gotta spell it right :D
Bream, brim, blue gill, red breast, yellow belly, warmouth(?), and punkin'seeds

Bream are fine fare, the beginning of many a boys fishing career and food on the table for Grandpops too.

D Hagens

Hey Tom those fish sound like fun to catch 8)

I'm a Canadian, all we have is salmon and trout. :D :D :D

Tom

Just salmon and trout, eh?   You are certainly Ichthyologically challenged up there. Bream are the young boys game down here.  We find that most of the boys don't grow up and that Blue Gills are still the game fish of choice for most.  You don't  hear much from them because of the Bass Fisherman.  The Bass Fishermen take up all the media space, talking about their contests, boats, fancy rods, lures, etc.  but all the time, the Bream fishermen are sitting in row boats and on the bank, with a cane pole, catching Blue Gill and Red Breasts   by the thousands.  Florida's limit is 50 a day to each angler.  ;D

Ooops!  Gotta get back to vegetable pumpkin seeds.

D Hagens

50 a day Tom? Your lucky! We I think can't even fish for salmon as the run was so low. My wife just told me that the Natives can't even fish this year. >:(
Speaking of the wife :) She told me to stop chatting and ask for more recipes. :D :D

WDH

Quote from: Tom on October 24, 2009, 01:06:23 PM
Ichthyologically challenged !!

Tom, that is a nice technical term!  I knew exactly what you were talking about when I read your post.  I bet most people on here have never heard of a pumkinseed of the Ichthyological variety  ;D.  We caught them in the creeks around here when I was a very young whippersnapper.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Used to cut me a piece of line, put on a small hook and split shot, whittle me a bobber out of pine bark, cut a cane from the cane patch and grab a coupla wieners and proceed to flip punkinseeds onto the bank.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

CHARLIE

Talk about hi jacking a thread. Sheesh! Shame on y'all!

We roast punkin' seeds every now and then. All we do is put 'm on a cookie sheet and put'm in the oven with the broiler on.  It doesn't take long. We stir 'em a little bit and then take 'm out and salt'm.  I've never heard of anyone getting much more complicated than that.  They go good with Wobbly Pop.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

WDH

Admonishment deserved and accepted  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ErikC

We do them in a skillet with a little canola oil, till browned on both sides. Put it on a plate,    then sprinkle a mix of salt and cayenne on them. mmmm
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Tom

I'm losing track.  Which one are y'all talking about, the vegetable one, or the finny one? :-\   sounds like their preparation is the same.  :)

ErikC

Could be either I guess. I had the garden variety in mind though. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

WDH

Tom is still trying to hijack this thread to Cuba  :D :D  :D.

Jeff

Quote from: CHARLIE on October 27, 2009, 08:42:11 PM
Talk about hi jacking a thread. Sheesh! Shame on y'all!

We roast punkin' seeds every now and then. All we do is put 'm on a cookie sheet and put'm in the oven with the broiler on.  It doesn't take long. We stir 'em a little bit and then take 'm out and salt'm.  I've never heard of anyone getting much more complicated than that.  They go good with Wobbly Pop.

Do ya scale em and gut em first or just fillet em?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

D Hagens

Meanwhile back on the farm...................

The wife is just, repeat just after all this time putting them in the oven! :D :D

Going with the salt and for some reason I thought about brushing them with vinegar. ::)

D Hagens

Meanwhile down at the fire hall......

Nobody mentioned that these things cook/burn fast! :o :D

Yup! She really did cook them real good..........real burnt! :D

Tom

You'll be needin' another pumpkin.......  or another fish hook and worm. :P 8)

WDH

You might want to try the other type this time  :).

D Hagens

Quote from: Tom on October 31, 2009, 01:10:53 AM
You'll be needin' another pumpkin.......  or another fish hook and worm. :P 8)

What as in a better fish? OOPPS! Better not let her see that! :D

K did this quote thing work?

beenthere

Quotequote thing
worked.

And you can always click on "preview" before "post" to check that the post is just the way you planned it to be.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

D Hagens

Yup I caught the preview button, very useful.

Now to learn the pic upload and I will be set. It looks pretty straight forward.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: WDH on October 24, 2009, 08:25:57 PM

Tom, that is a nice technical term!  I knew exactly what you were talking about when I read your post.  I bet most people on here have never heard of a pumkinseed of the Ichthyological variety  ;D.  We caught them in the creeks around here when I was a very young whippersnapper.

We have them here, they are like a sunfish. Kids always fished them along the lower reaches of the main river around the Islands along with chain pickeral. I don't think they would get up here because of hydro dams. I don't know of anyone eating them. Just a recreational fish here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!