iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV Logging Arch ID

Started by wolfram, October 22, 2009, 05:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfram

Any idea on what company built this logging arch and when?  There is a Baker Products sticker on it, but Baker does not recall selling a log arch.  Baker thought that it was possible that they sold one made by someone else.  Sure does not look like Future Forestry or Logrite...   Any help is appreciated.

Jeff

In my opinion, it's not a Future Forestry/LogRite Arch.  Looks home made to me.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Forest Dan

Hello Wolfram;

Yes, I've seen this arch before and know where it came from.  This is Forest Dan writing, (Mark Havel of Future Forestry) and I saw this arch around 2002 or 2003.  It was made by Baker, when Ed Baker was still in the drivers seat and I had recently visited him in MO to discuss Baker manufacturing the Future Forestry log arches.  Ed liked my product line, but wanted to get the rights to manufacture for basically nothing, which wasn't quite enough.  We parted friends, (and I got a speeding ticket heading back to the airport), but at one of the next years tradeshows they showed up with this arch.  I tried to remain calm, but I probably kicked at the dirt and spit on the ground.  It then just went away.

It is nearly an identical copy of the FFP ATV arch, except for the heavy laminated plate arch itself, so it should work OK if you are thinking of buying it.  The weight is an issue though, as the FFP arches (Logrite) are light enough to throw around, which makes a big difference.

Yours; Forest Dan

Don K

That was my first thought, That is was a close copy of a FFP/ Logrite arch.
Welcome to the forum, Mark.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

wolfram

Mark, thank you very much for the great post!  Some say that imitation is the highest form of flattery, but I think it's something else. 

The FFP ATV arch is a true innovation.  Thank You!

neslrite

I had forwarded the link to this thread to Mark over the weekend, I am glad he decided to respond himself.

I even learned a little FFP history at the same time ;).

Kevin
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Ironwood

Mark,

I hope your well in your new pursuit. We need all the good educators we can get ;)

Ironwood (metcha' in Ohio few years back)
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Brad_S.

That is owned by a friend of mine. Very little use on it but it has been sitting there in Victor for years and is heavily weathered but serviceable.  Ironic that your FF name is Wolfram as I often call the owner Wolfeman. :D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Forest Dan

Response to Ironwood;

Thanks for the note!  Ohio is a good place in my memories and I'm glad we ran into each other.  Regarding the educating, it's going OK, have you been to my Forest Dan website?  www.forestdan.com  I'm staying pretty close to home, in western terms, pretty much just in Oregon , WA, ID.  Have started a new project with a community firewood network that I hope to have on the forestdan website soon.  It would be available to everyone in every community, which is the point.  I've also been playing around with a new firewood processor, based on the Supersplit kinetic marvel.  Perhaps next Sawlex show I'll be ready to run, or before.

Ironwood

Forest Dan,

I LOVE that Supersplit. I generally buy my wood pre split (opportunity cost and all that), but years ago two of my buddy's had those that the wife and I borrowed. You could quickly bury yourself in wood.

I am participating in an event here in Pittsburgh sponsored by the Friends of the Urban Forest, a local stewardship non profit focused on all aspects of urban forestry. Should be alot of fun, all utilizing urban salvage material. It's called Arbor Aid. One of my pieces was literally just cut two days ago.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ADAMINMO

Quote from: wolfram on October 22, 2009, 05:58:40 PM
Any idea on what company built this logging arch and when?  There is a Baker Products sticker on it, but Baker does not recall selling a log arch.  Baker thought that it was possible that they sold one made by someone else.  Sure does not look like Future Forestry or Logrite...   Any help is appreciated.

I believe I spoke with you when you called. After doing some research and askin a few questions around here it was in fact built here at Baker Products. Not sure of any stories or anything like that about it but do know it was built here. There were not many of them manufactured her due to size , weight and prices as compared to logrite arches .We could not sell many of them. So they fizzled out.If there is anything I can help you find out about it let me know. Sorry that I told you we didnt manufacture it but I had never seen one here and hadnt heard of any that were built here.
ADAMINMO

Tom

Well, bless your little pea pickin' heart, Adam.  That was a fine post. :)

wolfram

Adam, thanks!  It is quite heavy, no doubt about that.  But does the trick.  Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!