iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

shopping local

Started by Kevin, December 21, 2009, 04:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I went to the Stihl/Husqvarna saw dealer to buy a new chain, rim and clutch bearing for my Husqvarna 262.
I asked for 64 drivers of LG after checking the bar and counting the existing drivers.
He says that's .325 and I said no it's .375.
That can't be he says, ok just sell me the chain I reply.
I don't have the bearing or the rim but you can use the Stihl rim and I can order the bearing.
No they aren't quite the same I said so he tells the kid to go in the back and make me loop of LP.   ::)
No, I wanted LG I said, we don't get loggers in here he says, that's all I have.  ::)

HELLO Bailey's!

Rocky_J

I'm a one man show but I'm rather anal about my saws and gear. I have almost a dozen saws, I keep three rolls of chain (one of each pitch) and I stock spare bars, sprockets, air filters and a couple other parts for my saws. If a saw goes down I can put it aside and fix it at home after work with parts in my own shop. If I need to order parts then I order enough other stuff to make the order worthwhile and set the saw aside until the parts come in. I have a decent local Stihl dealer but like all Stihl dealers he's relatively expensive. I use him for my Stihl stuff and order everything else from Bailey's. By stocking extra stuff I can easily go 6 months without having to order anything.

I used to be at the mercy of the local dealer whenever I needed something. I am much happier now that I have a shop of my own and can stockpile enough spare parts and supplies to give me the freedom of choice.

And Stihl rim sprockets last a lot longer than the Oregon. The large spline is the same size but the small spline Stihl is different than the small spline Husky. But you probably knew that. ;)

ladylake

One of the reasons I haven't been to a dealer in years.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sd locke

i agree with Rocky . i dont stock that much stuff but i buy my chain in bulk rolls . my dad use to get them from me for free . what can i say he is my dad . i did some of his repairs . also all of brother inlaws saws he buys chains from me . last summer i bought a brand new reel of 3/8 chain 100 feet in a garage sale for $5 . and i make chains loops for brother in law and his father for $ 5 for a 18 in loop

bill m

Was that a real saw shop you went to or was it a lawn mower shop that sells saws?
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Kevin

They are the exclusive saw shop in this city.

Brian, I wasn't aware the large rims were the same from both manufacturers but I know the small ones are different.
He had just finished rambling about selling me the wrong parts could create a liability for him, two minutes later he was trying to sell me a rim that was wrong for my saw.  :D

Al_Smith

How coincidental this rim socket thing came up in discussion .I myself just recently discovered that Stihl small rims and the rest of the worlds small spline drives are not the same . Knowing how Stihl does things I can't say I'm surprised though .

I was sorting parts for an upcoming project of using an 036 top on an 034 .I was surprised the parts box not only had a .325 set up in it  but also the fact an Oregon .325 8 pin small rim did not fit . I first of all would have thought an 034 would have used a 3/8" set up and not a .325 .Live and learn .

Kevin

My biggest surprise was him telling me they only stocked one chain.  :D

Dave Shepard

A saw shop that doesn't stock .375 certainly begs a few questions. :-\ I've been very happy with Bailey's service, however, I do like Stihl chain. ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!