iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diameter vs. circumfrence

Started by Frickman, October 21, 2009, 10:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 30, 2009, 08:49:03 AM
We have a few consultants that also buy veneer logs, even off of jobs they mark. 

Sure begs the question, who are they working for? The owner or the mill? I suppose you run a fine line in some circumstances that lead to either eating and paying the light bills or having an empty fridge.  :-\ Still, it doesn't make it any easier to except from the outside looking in.

I'm wondering though, is the guy marketing to the best value or his best buddy or boss at that mill? Seems to me the consultant would want the best price, if we assume he knows the markets well enough. Trouble is, I think a good many don't, and they aren't doing the "leg work". In my situation up here everyone knows the markets if they care to, just takes a visit or a phone call to the local marketing board. They are working for woodlot owners, loggers, truckers, anyone dealing in private wood sales.

I've read about more than one person dealing with a consultant that didn't know his markets well enough.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Faron

I once had a doctor send me a 48" diameter log.   ::)  It was, of course, about 15 inches.  He was a bright guy, and a fantastic woodworker, but boy he got that wrong. :D  Thing was, I had to call him and make sure the contractor hadn't pulled a fast one on him.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

tonich

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 30, 2009, 08:41:27 AM
Sometimes I see it as a conflict of interest.

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on October 30, 2009, 08:49:03 AM
I see that as a larger conflict of interest, but others see no problem with it.

Quote from: Ron Scott on October 30, 2009, 09:12:48 AM
Yes, there gets to be a question of ethics with some and I don't condon to some of their practices.

Agree! Sure, one is either a Forester or Realtor. Not both of them at the same time.   ::)

KyMasterLogger

when i get the calls about a "whatever" diameter tree from the landowner, i usually divide their measurement by 3.14.  although there has been a few times when the owner knew what they were talking about, and really did have a 4 or 5 foot diameter tree. reguardless of what they tell me, i always go look for myself.

chucker

lol!!!! rule of 3 (three)get you real close hey....
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

rocksnstumps

So an apple pie 1 ft in radius is really two pies? YUMM!

Thank You Sponsors!