iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal roofing roll forming machine.

Started by Dave Shepard, October 21, 2009, 08:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've seen a few trailer mounted machines for rolling out metal roofing. One looked kinda like the control panel on the space shuttle, and another looked pretty bargain basement. I like the idea of buying rolls of roofing and rolling out the exact length needed and snipping it off. I think some do a standing seam, and others do the ribbed type like you would buy in sheets. Has anyone dealt with these before? We've got a lot of building maintenance and new barns and additions to build. With the cost of sheet roofing, I'm wondering what the break even point would be on owning a simpler version of one of these machines.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

David Freed

The place where I work has 2 of them. I am guessing they are on the upper end of the price spectrum. I don't know what they cost now, but when they got the first one several years ago it cost over $800,000.

pnyberg

Dave,

My only experience is as a customer.  I've had standing seam metal roofing installed on my house and out-buildings.  It was formed on-site with a trailer-mounted machine from very heavy looking rolls.  The supplier of the rolls, and I assume the machine, was Englert: http://www.englertinc.com/default.aspx.  They have a variety of machines on their web site.  No prices though.

For open areas, the installation looked pretty straight-forward, perhaps deceptively so.  Around the edges, it was clear that more skill and experience was involved. 

--Peter
No longer milling

David Freed

The roll formers I was refering to were the ones that make regular roofing and siding. I don't know if the standing seam former at our plant cost less than the roll formers or not, but you have to have a second machine to unroll the coil and cut the metal to length before you put it in the standing seam former. We get wide coils at our plant and cut them to width and length before feeding them. We get steel coils weighing up to 15,000 lbs to run on the machines. Most are 8-10,000. You rarely see one less than 5,000 lbs.

On a side note, you may see some of our products in your area because we deliver to most states east of a line from TX to MN and Canada also. We have 14 or 15 crews that install our products also. Another driver and I delivered a building in NC Tuesday and I am in northern IL right now waiting to unload.

moonhill

I wonder what the cost of the flat roll metal cost and then figure in the cost of the trailer machine?  It is not like a portable saw mill where you have the possibility of sawing your own logs.  My first impression is it would be cost prohibitive unless all you do is install roofing.  And I bet you have a lot of irons in the fire as it is, Dave.  I have thought about this as well just didn't do the numbers. I opted for the screw down type roofing purchased from a supplier and went about tending my numerous irons and even then some still come out burned.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

IMERC

a basic raised panel machine from Berridge is about 24,000$...
I have the SS-14 gooodied out at 36K... less trailer and stock lift...
A 2 ton coil of stock is currently .94$sf (avg) give or take depending on the type and finish...
6 ton coils are cheaper...
500 pounders are more...

it might be easier if you asked spefic Q's....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

sprucebunny

To compare with IMERC's numbers, I recently bought regular painted steel roofing,  3 feet wide for $2.50 a running foot.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

IMERC

Quote from: sprucebunny on October 22, 2009, 09:16:25 AM
To compare with IMERC's numbers, I recently bought regular painted steel roofing,  3 feet wide for $2.50 a running foot.

whose metal???

I can get some lighter gauged and different finish for as low as .66$sf...
but I have learned not to bother with it...
chinese buyer beware is even less... like under .50$sf....

also what was the shape/style... that makes a difference...

sprucebunny

They have a factory in Maine. Not sure where the steel they process comes from. http://www.everlastroofing.com/everlast.html

I had to call them to get the gauge >> 29
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

David Freed

Quote from: IMERC on October 22, 2009, 09:27:03 AM

whose metal???

Our 26 ga #1 painted metal roofing cut to your length retails for $.66/sq ft. I'm not sure what the wholesale price is. Our #2 is 26 ga also, but the paint isn't guaranteed. We sell 50 - 75 tons per day of #1 and #2 combined.

IMERC

Quote from: David Freed on October 22, 2009, 11:58:18 AM
Quote from: IMERC on October 22, 2009, 09:27:03 AM

whose metal???

Our 26 ga #1 painted metal roofing cut to your length retails for $.66/sq ft. I'm not sure what the wholesale price is. Our #2 is 26 ga also, but the paint isn't guaranteed. We sell 50 - 75 tons per day of #1 and #2 combined.

I'm doing 22 or 24GA.. mostly 24 and never under....
sometimes do 20GA for special purpose...
Kynar 500 or Hylar 5000 flurocarbon finish at about .90 mil over .25 mil prime and that's over Galvalume which is all under a 4mil strippable coating...
fading, cracking, spawling, peeling, blistering or about any other happening to the finish is just not ever an issur or worry...

all formed panels are installed with blind clips and no visable fasteners... all seams are closed with self locking snap on seam cap...

this roofing is top shelf all the way...

in the end... you get what ya pay for...

Don_Papenburg

What is your installed price per square?  Would you like to take a trip to Illinois? What would it cost just for material if you don't want to make a trip?
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

IMERC

where in Ill???
describe the roof....
how large???
are you interested in just the panels???

keep in mind you know pricing before P,M&O and transportation and labor.perdiem...

Don_Papenburg

Central Illinois about 18 miles south of Interstate 80 exit 90.
Corn crib about a 10/12 pitch   42ft. long  about 28ft.eave to ridge
coupala has 8ft panels  is 10ft.wide.
I would be interested in the panels, etc.  As it needs new roofing .  It has 26ga. corigated steel now that is bad.    I have been looking for a good roof but most is 28ga. and I think that is a bit thin .

WH_Conley

To us non professionals on this subject. About all we are offered as far as quality is, 30 year  and 20 year roofing. I was told that was on the paint. Will the metal last longer?
Bill

Don_Papenburg

Yes the metal will last a good ten ,twenty years or more till it rust through.

IMERC

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on October 22, 2009, 11:07:01 PM
I would be interested in the panels, etc.  As it needs new roofing .  It has 26ga. corigated steel now that is bad.    I have been looking for a good roof but most is 28ga. and I think that is a bit thin .

you want 24 or 22 GA???
is the roof deck solid or strapped???

IMERC

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 22, 2009, 11:19:27 PM
To us non professionals on this subject. About all we are offered as far as quality is, 30 year  and 20 year roofing. I was told that was on the paint. Will the metal last longer?

not uncommon to see these roof head into 50 year...

David Freed

Quote from: IMERC on October 22, 2009, 07:41:22 PM
I'm doing 22 or 24GA.. mostly 24 and never under....
sometimes do 20GA for special purpose...
Kynar 500 or Hylar 5000 flurocarbon finish at about .90 mil over .25 mil prime and that's over Galvalume which is all under a 4mil strippable coating...
fading, cracking, spawling, peeling, blistering or about any other happening to the finish is just not ever an issur or worry...

all formed panels are installed with blind clips and no visable fasteners... all seams are closed with self locking snap on seam cap...

this roofing is top shelf all the way...

in the end... you get what ya pay for...

I agree with the "get what you pay for" statement. People are so numbed by the low quality standards on so many things these days that they can't comprehend that you can get a better product by paying a little more. We sell the heavier ga steel and galvalume and our formed panels are the same also, but many people don't want to pay the extra money for it.

Quote from: WH_Conley on October 22, 2009, 11:19:27 PM

The metal will last much longer if you repaint it instead of just letting it rust.

IMERC

I agree with the "get what you pay for" statement. People are so numbed by the low quality standards on so many things these days that they can't comprehend that you can get a better product by paying a little more. We sell the heavier ga steel and galvalume and our formed panels are the same also, but many people don't want to pay the extra money for it.

BTW... everything I use and do is US made...

ideas on pricing...

horse barn - 192 square - underlayment to completion.. 84,700$
home... 22 square.. way not so simple... 42K

same materials...

Don_Papenburg

Solid board sheating . Has 45-50 pound felt under the tin.
I had planed to repaint but after checking the roof for loose fastners and finding many cracks  I just did some repairs to hold it .

Larry

Central States 29 gauge with 40 year warranty.  You don't need anything thicker over solid board sheathing.  Installed cost should be less than $200/square...dependent on how complicated the cupola is.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tom

Quote from: Dave Shepard on October 21, 2009, 08:55:12 PM
I'm wondering what the break even point would be on owning a simpler version of one of these machines.

Icemm, a member, has a company that makes that roofing.  He would probably be a good one to question because he does it every day.

Thank You Sponsors!