iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

(very) hard start

Started by Beweller, October 21, 2009, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beweller

All set to start work, with two saws ready, both acted as though the cylinders contained liquid.  The saws could not be "spun" and so would not start.  With the plug removed, the saws spun easily, and no liquid was ejected.  After many tries I got the smaller saw started.  Once started, it started normally on subsequent tries.  I ran through two tanks of gas.  After filling the third time, I started the saw, OK.  I went back to the cut, and once again could not pull the saw over fast enuf to start.  Again, it acted as though there was liquid in the cylinder.

These are saws I have used many times in the past, never with this difficulty.  There was no difference in the history of the saws since the last use.  Typically, the saws are used for a day or two, then set idle for two months.  I do not drain the gas.  I use 50:1 oil mixed at 37.5:1.  Both saws were topped with gas and chain oil before trying to start.  The temperature was about 50 degrees.  The saws were two different brands.

HELP!
Beweller

Al_Smith

Now this may really sound silly but here goes .On occasion the starter rope kind of becomes frayed and doesn't wind back up correctly .It sits for a tad bit then all of the sudden is about like rope starting a Mack truck . Pull the plug it rolls easy .

About three weeks ago give or take I had the same problem with a 281 Husky which nearly drove me nuts before it dawned on me to change the rope .

Like I said it really sounds dumb and had I not seen it with my own eyes I'd have never believed it .

sablatnic

It could be the cord, as Al say, or it could be the pulley that has split. Which saw is it? Some are rather prone to this defect, especially some of the older Jonsereds.

Beweller

One was a Stihl, the other an Echo.  Both behaved similarly.  Today, both saws behave normally.  The problem seems to have existed only when I needed the saws!
Beweller

beenthere

There ya have it.  8)

Glad you found the problem.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Perhaps the saws have 'Maynard G. Krebs syndrome'.  8)

LorenB

Rocky,

Be careful, your seniority is showing.  How many FF members even know who Maynard G. Krebs was?  More will have heard of Gilligan. 

-- Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Red 93 L1 #3383

Quote from: Beweller on October 21, 2009, 06:10:50 PM
One was a Stihl, the other an Echo.  Both behaved similarly.  Today, both saws behave normally.  The problem seems to have existed only when I needed the saws!

Same thing happens when you take your vehicle to a mechanic.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Thank You Sponsors!