iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of leaf is this?

Started by fishpharmer, October 20, 2009, 09:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpharmer

No thats not bigfoot.  ;)  Its me taking a picture of my shadow holding a leaf.  Fell from the tree holding my shadow.

What is it?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Tom

I'm a guessin' it's a Swamp Chestnut Oak.

DanG

That's a Notsweetgum tree if I ever seen one! ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

The color of the leaf looks like black oak, but the shape is not correct. :-\
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dodgy Loner

Guess 1: chinquapin oak (Quercus mulhenbergii)
Guess 2: swamp chestnut oak (Quercus michauxii)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Given your location in Meridian, MS, it is swamp chestnut oak like Mr. Tom said  ;D.  Nice shadow, by the way  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Thanks for the help.
Quote from: Tom on October 20, 2009, 01:00:58 PM
I'm a guessin' it's a Swamp Chestnut Oak.
I think your right. I appreciate everyone verifying this for me.  Here is more evidence.
Thanks everyone.

This tree has some huge acorns. I am going to try planting some.  If I don't pick some acorns up first thing in the morning the deer and squirrels get them.  It was full of acorns and most have fallen yet very few are on the ground.

Tom

Those acorns need to be planted right away.

Read This

fishpharmer

WDH

Another common name for this tree is Cow Oak since the cows love those huge acorns.  If one of those (acorns, no, not a cow!) fell from the tree and hit you on the head, it would make a knot for sure! 

We Southerners are blessed with a whack of oaks, but none have acorns like the good old Cow Oak.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Thanks WDH, never heard it called that.  My cows aren't on low land where the tree is located.

To me it seems  like these trees hang out with the water oaks on low ground. Except I see alot of water oaks on high ground.  No cow oaks on high ground.

Them cow oaks make a fellas shadow look big too, kinda like a circus mirror :D

WDH

Shadow or not, that is a good sized cow oak. 

Somewhere I have a picture of the Georgia State Champion Cow Oak that Dodgy Loner and I found one New Year's day if y'all would like to see it.

fishpharmer

Can't speak for everyone......but I would love to see it.

WDH

It is about 6 feet in diameter and 132 feet tall. 

Photo courtesy of Dodgy Loner  ;D.

fishpharmer

WOW!  Thats impressive.

How old do you figure that tree ?

WDH

fishpharmer

Really, only 80.  Not sure why I figured older. 

So does that make swamp chestnut oaks relatively fast growing for the oak family?

WDH

Yes, they can grow fast on a good site.  The area where this tree was found was last logged about 60 years ago and this tree was one of the few larger trees that was left.  So, it had a real advantage over the other trees.  They are about 60 years old now, but there are a few really big trees scattered out over the bottom.  The champion shumard oak was in this same bottom, but it blew over in a storm about 2 years ago.  The champion southern shagbark hickory is also here. 

fishpharmer

Too bad about the shumard.  Did Dodgy saw it up? ;D

And thanks for the education.  I might try to get some
started on the sight I told you about.  It already has water oak.  Do they like same type site?

WDH

Yes, swamp chestnut should do fine on your site.

Here is the champion shumard after the storm.  It was 141 feet tall, and being so dominant in the canopy, the crown acted like a sail.  Unfortunately, there was no way we could get this log out of the bottom without a really big skidder.

fishpharmer

That is a shurnuff whopper.

Makes a fella want a Lucas or Peterson.

Tom

QuoteUnfortunately, there was no way we could get this log out of the bottom without a really big skidder.

Think Portable Sawmills, Danny.  :D

An Alaskan would go in there and so would a Peterson or Lucas, if someone want the lumber bad enough. :)

WDH

And if somebody wanted to tote boards a quarter of a mile thru that swamp  :D.  I guess that you just have to want it real bad, right ??? ;D. 

Thank You Sponsors!