iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Question

Started by Typhoon, September 16, 2003, 05:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon

Ok I have 50 acres, 25 which are woods. However on the non-wooded portion, I am getting ready to plant a few trees for shade and other purposes. First question is: What are some trees that really grow fast? My favorite trees are as follows: Gum, Sycamore, Poplar, Pin-oak, (Any oak really), Walnut, Silver Maple (soft) and Hard Maple.
But im not stuck to just getting these types. I am more concerned with getting some in that grow fast. I am getting 1,000 free pine trees from the forest service, so that will be nice also. I am figuring on 400 or so of them surviving. Thanks for any pointers.
-Brad
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Ron Wenrich

40% survival rate isn't very good.  You'll probably do a lot better than that, as long as the trees are planted right and the weather helps you out.  Of course, if you have a lot of deer, that might set things back.

Probably the fastest growing hardwood would be the hybrid poplar.  Its basically a fast growing aspen.  It will give you fast cover, but the lumber uses aren't too great, at least in my area.  

There is always paulownia for fast growth and a valuable tree at harvest.  These have been fetching good prices over the years.  The Japanese use them for hope chests and other crafts.  There is little for domestic markets.  

I've also heard of hybrid walnut with exceptional growth.  I asked one veneer buyer about them, and he wasn't very impressed.  Too fast of growth does not yield very good grain patterns, especially in veneer.

If you're starting from bare ground, you can go with the pioneer species (aspen, willow, cottonwood) which will give you the fastest forest.  From there, you can start to put in trees with more tolerance (oak, hickory), and start to thin the overstory as they take hold.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Kevin

What is the soil content?

Texas Ranger

For rapid growth I would go with poplar and for value, walnut.  A mixture of the two (in seperate plots) would be the best of both worlds.  Much will depend on soil type.  Like Ron said, you should get 90% survival are better if the seedlings are handled correctly.

Fast growth trees are a myth in forestry, it still takes years.  I have a 10 year old poplar that is 40 feet tall and 12 inches in diameter.  Planted walnut in Missouri had 12 inch dbh in 15 years on a perfect site.  So, your milage may vary.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

You should plan on at least a 90% survival rate with proper stock, planting, and protection.
~Ron

Typhoon

I have a lot of deer (A LOT) on my property that is why I figured on a 40-50% survival rate. I try to keep em thinned out (im a bowhunter) but its hard! Any suggestions on how to keep the deer away?
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Tom

An old-timer that lives on the edge of the Okeefenokee Swamp told me that the sure way to keep deer out of my garden was to hang a new hide on the fence every morning.  He guaranteed me that they would stop doing whatever I didn't like.

Texas Ranger

I think we ran that guy out of Texas, ya reckon we could get him back?  Articles published that car/deer accidents kill 200 folks a year, and cause 1.5 billion in damages.  There is a 35 mile stretch of road here that I drive on a regular basis, and there are regular deer kills in that milage.  We are in the bad cycle of not killing enough deer to manage the herds.  Every body wants the "big buck" and leave the does and genetically inferior bucks in the woods.  Herds way out of balance.

DanG

I was a "less than enthusiatic" particpant in a banquet, recently :-/. The victim right across the table turned out to be a Wildlife Biologist for the State of Fla.  He told me that there are changes coming that will encourage the harvest of more does. It won't be this season, but we will probably see a difference next year.  I understand that Alabama has already taken steps. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

Doe have been on the take list for a couple of years in many Indiana counties.  I haven't seen an official data but it must be having some effect.  I take a doe every year but it is that buck that keeps rubbing my walnuts to death that I really want in my sights
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Ed_K

Don, you live close to Possum Kingdom Lake???
 Ed
Ed K

dan-l-b

Here in Missouri,  deer seem to be thick too.  The conservation dept is in an all out effort to reduce numbers.  Between my wife and I we got 6 any deer permits for gun season this year :) :) :)

Texas Ranger

Bud Man

If you want shade quick- Go with Lombardy Poplar , Cottonwood, Sycamore, Sweetgum and then thin to your liking.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Aspen_King

What do cattle do to trees when grazing?

beenthere

Mostly compact the soil at and around the tree roots. Some grazing on some species, but mostly the "trampling" effect (IMO).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

If you have alot of deer problems where your going to plant your trees, I'de recommend planting white ash, poplars, oaks and walnuts. They all grow fast and are not prefered deer browse, at least not in my area.  Sugar maple, red maple and yellow birch are like feeding them candy canes, very much prefered. Rodents will also be a problem with these last species listed, as they girdle them. Poplars can be browsed heavily too. They will pull at your freshly planted pine too, as they like the new 'candle' growths in the spring. We planted red pine one spring on a field and they were all pulled up by deer trying to rip off the new growth before they were firmly rooted. The location was a high deer use area.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

crosscut

soil tests and research will help a lot to determine what you need. personal preferance and just a quick look around your place will tell you even more what does well there now? what is your favorite if its not there or close by be prepaired to work hard to make it happen otherwise go with the flow nature makes its own choices like em or change them  :D

Thank You Sponsors!