iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How did you find the Forestry Forum and what brought you here?

Started by Jeff, October 18, 2009, 09:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I thought I would do another fun type poll.  After you vote on how, maybe you can add a why. :)

I remember how I got here.  ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

Don't remeber exactly how I found it. I think I plugged in a search on sawmills.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woody1

Did a search for sawmill and found the best site on the web !!  8) ;)
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

metalspinner

I hired Teenswinger to mill for me and he recommended the Forestry Forum  as a good place to learn.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dave Shepard

I found the Forestry Forum looking for information on timber framing in early 2006. I visited a few times but didn't join. In September of 2006 I took a timber frame workshop and met Jim_Rogers there. He suggested I join, which I did that night. The rest, as they say, is history. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

I checked "link on other site" but really was some mention of FF in a thread on another site.  The site was about tractors, but touched on all subjects, and included sawmills, logging, firewood, chainsaws, etc. Was too overwhelming to stay active on both sites.

Sorry, but I chose the best one.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

I was looking for Logging information and found the Timber buyers net and the FF.
And later one of my wifes Classmates. ;D

Roxie

I was working and trying to find large beams like these:

Thank you Google! 8)
Say when

Dana

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

stonebroke

DanG

I came here because of a drug problem...I was drug here by Tom. ;D  Actually, both of us, along with some other current members here, were posting on WoodWeb at the time and Tom always had the FF link on his postings.  I followed that link and here I am. :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thedeeredude

I was on a woodworking forum and somebody had a link to the post about a 9' blade circular sawmill.  Then sometime later I joined.

Dan_Shade

I found the FF looking for chainsaw information.  After I bought my Hud-son, I really started to read the forum, I read a LOT before I joined.  I finally joined to make a post regarding a mile-marker winch. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Mooseherder

I was looking for a Food recipe and it brought me here. :D
Just kidding.  After we purchased our woodlot I was trying to learn about forestry.
Found this site and soon learned it had so much more to offer.  I'm soaking it all in and hope to apply the knowledge and great information that just keeps on coming.
I gotta lotta work to do. ;)

Warbird

A friend told me about this place.  They knew I was into chainsaws, heating with wood, and eventually woodworking.  I read a few posts and was hopelessly sucked in.  :)

pineywoods

I thank Tom and Bibby, magazine article in the woodmizer way magazine. Looked like my kind of people, It was and still is..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

tonich

I was looking for some forestry related forum in North America - Google showed it as a first result.

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

nas

someone on the Norwood forum sent me.  Now yer stuck with me. ;D I think they were trying to get rid of me over there. go_away
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

I did a google search for "homemade sawmill".

Wish I had found it earlier.  Not only great information.  Great people too !  8) 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sawman

We had gone and bought our first used woodmizer, ('85 lt30 manual)
brought it home and I got on the computer to try to find information on them.
Typed in bandsaw mill or something like that, and led me here.
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

gary

I was on woodweb trying to find out how to run a sawmill. People there kept talking about how  friendly it was here. Came here and liked it much better.

woodsteach

I can't remember ::) that was over 5 years ago.  I have a hard time remembering what I'm supposed to be doing right now let alone 5 years in the past. ;D

smiley_beertoast  here's to at least 5 more 8) 8)

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

wi woodcutter

I did a google search on chainsaws and I found this place. Lots of interesting info here.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

crtreedude

It was a search while trying to learn about forestry and logging while doing research about growing trees in the tropics.

See what you all did!!!!!  :D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

moonhill

Timber framing via the Guild's forum, and living in an area with few band mills also perked my interest. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

WH_Conley

Followed some bread crumbs dropped at Woodweb by Bibby or Arky, can't remember for sure which one.
Bill

Captain

I've been drugged.  I followed my heroes here....Tom, Arky, Bibby, DanG, Noble and many others that I am going to apologize up front for not mentioning.

Now I have many, many new heroes and friends, all thanks to Jeff, Tammy and their wonderful staff of volunteer admins.

Captain

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

isawlogs

Burlman drug me here, you can all blame him  ;D  He told me to come and see all the cool forestry pics that where on this site, little did I know that it would be an english spelling learnin' curve  :P ;D :D

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Frickman

Bibbyman had a link in one of his posts over at the Woodweb six or seven years ago. I lurked around for quite a while before joining.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

IMERC

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 18, 2009, 12:12:02 PM
Just kidding. 

no you weren't....
admit it...
it was the pig roast...

Mooseherder

Quote from: IMERC on October 18, 2009, 08:47:06 PM
Quote from: Mooseherder on October 18, 2009, 12:12:02 PM
Just kidding. 

no you weren't....
admit it...
it was the pig roast...

Pig Roast....I'm gonna make it this year. :)

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

Yep,  I'm coming. :)
I haven't told my wife yet but she is pretty easy to convince.
Last year we had a Wedding for one vacation and a Class Reunion for another but this year is all Mine. ;D
I'd better get my passports in order for the trip East after the party. :)

pigman

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

IMERC

Cedarman

Many years ago Bibbyman saw my post on Woodweb and said I should come join the FF.  He made me do it.  I couldn't get back on for quite a bit until I e-mailed Jeff and he said that my name was Cedarman , not cedarman.  I missed a good bit because of that little mistake.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Mooseherder

chet

WOW... and I thought I wuz da only one Tom drugged over here.   :D  :D  :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Don K

Searching the Woodmizer site for sawmill stories and found the link in a story on Bibbyman and Mrs Mary. Lurked for quite a while until I joined to make a post. Greatest thing I've every been a member of.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

IMERC

Mooseherder

Only if ya drive south young man. :D

I'd bet ya got a few jokes wit ya. :)

ElectricAl

BibbyMan invited me to join the Forestry Forum one day while we were talking about Electric sawmills and edgers.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

IMERC

Quote from: Mooseherder on October 18, 2009, 10:09:56 PM
Only if ya drive south young man. :D

I'd bet ya got a few jokes wit ya. :)

not such thing as outta the way...

and all my dogs are serious....

Mooseherder

fstedy

Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Sprucegum

I bought 160 acres of boreal forest and then wondered how I should take care of it. A google on forestry dropped me in here and I have learned more than I ever thought I needed to know  8) I still don't know enough to quit though  ;)

DanG

Well it appears that Tom and Woodweb are to blame for most of this. ;D 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

IMERC

Chuck White

Just a little while before I got my own mill, I was talking with Kyle Cheely at Hanibal, NY Wood-Mizer!

I asked him if there were any Forums on the internet that centered on sawmills & milling!

He said the only one he knew of at the time was FORESTRY FORUM!

What a great site this is.  Gain knowledge, give knowledge and mostly, make some good friends!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Faron

I believe Bro Noble mentioned the FF on Woodweb.  I joined, and then my computer went down for a while, and I forgot about it by the time I got it fixed.  I met Bibbyman at Woodmizer's 20th anniversary, and he reminded me about the FF.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Burlkraft

I really don't remember how I first got here, but I lurked for about a year before I joined  ;D   ;D

I don't remember what I had for lunch yesterday either  ::)  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

isawlogs

I find it interesting that none have found this place from any other search engin other then google  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Weekend_Sawyer

I found the FF from a link on Kevin's Milling Masters website.
It's all Kevin's fault  :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Stephen1

I did a search on Google while building the log cabin's ridge pole and posts, I needed to know how big a peg to put in the tenon. I now have a sawmill, and pockets full of sawdust.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ErikC

I clicked link on another site, but I'm not sure if it was a link or just mention. I had bought my peterson mill, and was looking at some of the stuff on their website, and a few others and found this place. I joined a couple years later. :D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Gary_C

I took a Kiln drying course at the U of Minn put on by Harlan Peterson and Gene W was the primary instructor. He got me to participate in the Woodweb site till I got tired of that. If I remember right, both Jeff and Tom had encouraged me to come over and it took a while before I was ready for another forum, but I was lurking and saw a question I had a good answer for and have not left since. Can't remember the last time I looked back.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Bill Johnson

If I remember correctly, I was on another forest site and Jeff was a member. In a few of his posts he mentioned he was starting a forest forum or something similar.  Anyway, I was curious and checked it out and have been here pretty much ever since.
Bill

Kas

Hello everybody!  I first found the site when searching for info on an 028 chainsaw.  Liked what I read and became an avid lurker.  Then I saw a post by Tom about an old fishing buddy in the Coast Guard from years ago, and I happened to know exactly where this person was.  So I joined to be able to pass that info on to Tom. Have made a few posts, but still consider myself an Official Lurker, just because I love the knowledge I get from this site, yet I don't often have much to contribute since I don't work or play in the forestry/sawing/woodworking arena.

So like other's, it's Tom's fault.
Scott

pasbuild

Bibby posted a link over at woodweb and I checked it out, there were so many knowledgeable people posting here that I just keep my mouth shut fer the longest time, I'm sure many wish that were still the case. ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

thecfarm

I was over at woodweb when this site was mentioned.Have not been back since.Came here and stayed.A lot less bickering and not being mean to people on this site.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brdmkr

I have enjoyed woodworking for years.  Bought some land with some pretty decent oaks on it where our house was going to go.  I figured I'd sell them to recoupe some cash (I know. stooopid idea as there were only 4 - 5 trees that really had to be cut).  Two things happened nearly simultaneously.  1) I found that if I wanted those oaks gone I'd have to pay someone and 2) I priced oak lumber at our new HD.  I decided to but a mill.  I wound up here!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

customdave

Wife pulled the pin, bought sawmill , bought new fishing boat, bought a computer to see if I could learn how to operate , stumbled onto this forum lost it , took awhile to find the forum again , found it & here I is . Smartest thing I ever did was ask to join this forum, learning lots about computers & sawmilling . I Think I like all the new toys better than the wife!!

Dave 8)
Love the smell of sawdust

DouginUtah

Quote from: customdave on October 20, 2009, 10:19:14 PM
I think I like all the new toys better than the wife!!

Ya, I sometimes feel that way too.  :D

Oh,wait.  Did you mean you like them more than your wife likes them?

Nevermind.  ;D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Tom

Doug!!!   Truthfulness is supposed to be a good thing, but it can get you killed.  :D

IMERC

Quote from: Tom on October 20, 2009, 11:26:54 PM
Doug!!!   Truthfulness is supposed to be a good thing, but it can get you killed.  :D

or make ya wish it had....

Engineer

I'm sure I could root up specifics if I dug through old e-mails, but the short of it is that I had purchased a Logosol mill from Captain, and later sold it and bought a used Woodmizer, and Captain mentioned to me along the way that this forum was here for sawmilling info, so I showed up. 

Thanks Craig! (Captain)

Coon

Well I did a google on "small woodlots".... saw a link and.... took the bait--hook, line and sinker.    :o  ;D  :D
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

D Hagens

I found the Forum on Peterson's web links. Some interesting topcs here. :P

timberfaller390

I was walking through the woods one day, fell into a deep dark hole, went towards the light and then.... Oh wait a minute, that's the story of how I got into caving. Let me see I think I found us through a link off another site. I joined as soon as I started reading, after all, membership dues were right in my price range at the time.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

sprintfan11

Found link thru google or yahoo....We bought an OWB last fall and I needed good info on running a chainsaw, proper felling techniques, etc. etc. All of the advice I have received has been great, (the type of chain post had some DanG funny replies :D)

My wife and I are trying to live a homesteading lifestyle and it has been very cool to see most of the members here have the same pursuits such as raised bed gardening, alternative energy, hunting, fishing, etc etc

I'm glad I found this place and I know that it will probably be the most useful site I visit. ;D
Use up, wear out, make do or do without.

Husqvarna 455 Rancher 20"
1994 GMC 1500 4X4
Central Boiler 5036 OWB
Troy-Built 27 ton splitter
Generac 6500 generator
More stuff to come....

southpaw

Engine search about sawmills and sawing land me here, visited as guest for awhile then realized all the info sharing, knowlege and support for what we all are doing or trying to accomplish and that I was interested in purchasing a mill I'd be foolish not to join ;) :) :) :). And Thanks for being here, Loren.

Brookside

After retiring from farming I found a full time job managing out timberland.  We have done a lot of tree planting and started doing our own logging and ended up here somehow looking for info on chainsaws.  I found lots of good info and  a lot of caring people that are more than willing to share there knowlege and insights and it is appreciated.
Tom

okmulch

Cedarman ( my dad) would always be on the forum and kept telling me I should become a member . Every time I turned around or would call him he would be on so I thought I would see what all the interest was about. Read alot and then finally pulled the trigger . 8)
Now I am on everyday seeing what the news is in the forestry world.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Bill

Was looking for info about an old Poulan 245a I hadn't run in years ( good that I don't throw things away  ;D  )  so google led me here

jbpaxton

I found FF from link on Woodmizer-Biomizer blog.javascript:void(0);

jbpaxton

J.Hercules

This is Tom's fault.  He was sawing some pine logs for my neighbor and being a forester who loves good wood I stopped to watch.  I asked if he would saw 3 heart pine logs I had around the cornor and he said sure if I could bring them around. So I bummed the neighbors tractor and skidded them into place and pretty soon I had a pickup full of nice lumber. I think we talked alot longer than he cut and after all was said and done he told me about the forum and a few days later I checked it out and I have enjoyed ever since. Thanks Tom.   
Jim

ibseeker

After we bought the 20 acres in Tenn. I realized that I didn't know doodly squat about a forest. Was searching the gardenweb for info on white pines and someone referred me here. That was a pivotal point in my educational progress. After lurking for a while, I joined and started asking questions. Mostly ignorant ones but the FF members patiently answered my questions, questioned my ideas and plans and have helped quide me along. I've got miles to go but now I know where to get the straight scoop without being ridiculed for my ignorance. So Thanks to all of you for your help. It's truly appreciated.

Chuck
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

sbishop

Was searching for info about log cabins....the rest is history!

Meet some mighty fine folks from this forum!

Sbishop

Magicman

I Googled "sawmilling" 3-4 years ago and found the site.  Regreatably, I then lurked, practially daily, reading, enjoying, and learning.

Since finally joining, I've enjoyed the past couple of months and thank you guys for accepting me the way that you have.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

BcWoodWorks

Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

mrnero

Friend told me about FF. Seems to be an OK site, so far.

BcWoodWorks

Quote from: mrnero on November 04, 2009, 09:05:53 AM
Friend told me about FF. Seems to be an OK site, so far.

Good People here pal.

Welcome aboard.  ;D
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

Thank You Sponsors!