iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Volume of a truncated cone, or...

Started by Dave Shepard, October 17, 2009, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

How big is this log? 33" small end, 36" large end 9' 6" long. Red oak. Trying to figure out, with good accuracy, how much that sucker weighs. More at 11:00 :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Just calculate a cylinder with the diameter as half between each end.

Like 34½" diam and 9'5" long cylinder

pie x (34.5 ÷ 12 ÷ 2) x 9.5 = 62 cuft

@ 62.4 # per cuft for red oak, maybe around 3870 #

(takes me a bit to get all those numbers.  you others are too quick  ;D    but right on.  :)  )

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Reddog

Just under 4000#'s by the weight calculator.

Dan_Shade

how much accuracy do you need?

you can figure out the volume using calculus.  just estimating the cylinder part of it, you have 56 cubic feet, which would be 3553 lbs.

using the toolbox helper, estimating a 34.5" diameter mid length, it comes out to 3946lbs

I'd guess between 3500 and 4000 lbs.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

red oaks lumber

closer to 4350lbs. i don't have my log scale handy. take b.f. x5.7lbs.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

I was playing around, ok, cleaning up, at my friends mill. There was this big oak log sitting there, and I was wondering if I could pick it up. We have a CAT 307C at work with the worst thumb I've ever used, can't pick up anything with it. Well, maybe a 10" log. Anything bigger or smaller gets shot out like a watermelon seed. The Kubota picked it right up. Had to keep it in close, but it had a good grip on it. ;D I love Kubota thumbs. Best available, in my opinion.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Quote from: red oaks lumber on October 17, 2009, 06:57:48 PM
closer to 4350lbs. i don't have my log scale handy. take b.f. x5.7lbs.

red oaks
Are you saying there are 763 bdft in the log?

4350 ÷ 5.7 = 763
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

The log weighs 3946.88 pounds according to the Forum Log Weight calculator in the Tool Box!

I just figured the average of the two end diameters and went with that!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red oaks lumber

thats not what im saying. scale the log first to determine how many b.f. then estimate the weight of the slabs.. i can't do all that fancy math like you guys do.lol

mrcaptainbob

7,459.64#'s air dried, 10,850.39 #'s green.

beenthere

mrcaptainbob
Would you elaborate on your numbers, pls.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

What is your conversion from bf to solid volume? If you don't know where the conversion factor comes from than you could be way off. Does the conversion factor convert the volume in lumber or does it account for loss of slabs and sawdust?

Here is what I get from converting log to lumber with Doyle scale in the forum toolbox: 499 bf

I have two conversion factors for solid m3

499 x 0.00236 = 1.177 m3

499 x 0.00561 = 2.8 m3

This isn't weight, but which is relevant?  ;D

Another thing my friends, is conversion factors are based on a fixed length and softwood vs hardwood, not random length. Here is an example:

Going from cords to m3 for softwood: 4 ft is 2.406 m3
                                                   8 ft is 2.265 m3

So converting to board footage instead of just calculating the solid log volume and multiplying by the empirical weight of green wood by species from the Wood Handbook or Wood Technology text is going to yield numbers all over the map.

The forum toolbox will find weight using empirical data published by forest products labs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

red oaks lumber

swampdonkey.. that makes my head hurt to much. lol

Reddog

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 20, 2009, 04:29:05 AM
The forum toolbox will find weight using empirical data published by forest products labs.

In other words way less headaches.  8)

isawlogs

Swamdonkey , I read and re-read that a half a dosen times and still got no idea what da ----- you where saying .  ::) :D ::)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

red oaks lumber

good, i thought i was losing the last bit of sawdust in my head! i'm not alone, yipee lol

Jeff

Donk, let us know when they finally figure out where their goona put you so we can all send a card.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I understood it  :-\ :-\

Basically, everyone is estimating too many things, the weight of the wood, the length of the log, the diameter of the log, the scales for board footage, etc.

I like the idea of just using the tool box.  Ron's pretty good with numbers.  ;D

Dave Shepard

By using the toolbox, the only things left to chance is my estimate of how cylindrical the log is. It wasn't too bad, but did have a big crotch on one side that had been sawn off. :D

mrcaptainbob

Well, beenthere....I went to sleep last night realizing I goofed. Should've just kept out of it.

Now I'm getting 3,750.6 green/2,716.0 dry.
Machinery handbook has a formula for this:
V=1.0472 h (R sqd+Rr+r sqd)
V=1.0472 x 114" (324+(18x16.5)+272.5)
V=1.0472 x 114" (324+(297)+272.5)
V=119.3808 (893.5)
V=106666.74 "cu.
V=61.728 'cu. (10666.74/1728)
Red oak dry is listed at 64 #'s per cubic foot while dry is 44#'s.
Should'a just kept out of it....

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on October 20, 2009, 08:52:54 PM
Donk, let us know when they finally figure out where their goona put you so we can all send a card.

What Tom said. I wasn't trying to compute it by conversion factors, just pointing out it's follies. I was trying to point to the forum toolbox.  ::)

I like the use of a standard volume equation like Captain Bob is using as long as it's understood they are site specific. Sometimes they develop one called an average as well. I'm sure the toolbox uses a similar volume equation, probably Smalian's. ???
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!