iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

w-9 powerunit

Started by millstead, October 16, 2009, 11:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millstead

i was wondering if anyone knows the horsepower for a w-9 international diesel power unit and if it would be good on a frick 00 mill i think its w-9 maybe ud-9 the person selling called it a w-9 he said it had a 3 speed trans with a hand clutch and it came off a mill.................. thanks

sparky

I looked at a website called "Yesterday's Tractors" and found the following data on a WD9:

"A WD9 has drawbar horsepower of 48.45 and the engine displacement is 335 cubic inches."

The PTO and belt HP ratings would be higher than 48 HP. I would expect somewhere in the mid-50s.

Sparky
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

fishpharmer

Millstead welcome to the forestry forum.

I look forward to hearing about your mill.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bandmiller2

Millstead,Dave Shepard,our resident authority on old International power units will be along. shortly.If I recall its a long stroke slow turning massive old diesel in outher words perfect power for a circular mill.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customdave

I have a neighbor has an old TD-9 crawler , he has the manual , says 56 engine horsepower , he bought  an old W9 tractor in case he needed spare engine , same horse power , I would guess would be close too W9 power unit I think , good old engines ....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Dave Shepard

WD-9 is a tractor, TD-9 is a crawler and UD-9 is a power unit. I don't know what the three-speed trans and hand clutch is all about. Must be an adaptation of some sort. The gas variant is W-9, T-9, and U-9. 5.5 inch stroke x 4.4 inch bore. Later variants were 5.5x4.5, totally 350 inches.

If it is a diesel, it will also have a magneto and carburetor on one side. You pull a decomp lever and start on gas. When it's warm you simultaneously through the decomp and throttle ahead and it runs on diesel.

Here is a UD-14A, a good mill engine.

This is my UD-9 genset.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

millstead

do you think a ud-9 would make a good powerunit for a 00frick 54 inch blade

Jeff Lesak

millstead,
The horsepower you need at the saw is 10 HP per tooth in the cut, so the power you need is determined by the teeth in your blade. Turning slower, less teeth, and thiner kerf buys you some reduction of power needs, but the other things running off the main engine have to be deducted.
Doc Jeff

D._Frederick

If it is a W-9 it is a gasoline burning engine, it will eat from 3 to 5 gallons per hour running a 2 man mill based on what my Case LAE would burn.

If it is a WD-9, they had a weakness for head problems, either blown head gaskets or cracks. Make sure it runs and check for bubbles in the radiator water.

Dave Shepard

That vintage IH diesel does get cracks. They really need to cool out before you shut them down. Very miserly on fuel as well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bandmiller2

Milstead,guess none of the guys have one on a mill.My first mill had a Cat D318 I believe that was 318 cu/in displacement and that had enough power,6cyl.Id keep looking unless you can get that engine real cheap or if known good.Some of the best units come out of old cable shovels usally the tracks wear out and the engine is good,same with old dozers.If you can find a co. that refurbishes fire trucks,they usally have detroit diesels that were pulled because they had no turbo, with low miles.Paving machines used alot of 3 and 4 cyl.detroit power units.Frank C.

D._Frederick

The problem with the later model diesel is that they turn faster to get rated power, the 53 series detroit turns 2800 rpm and the 71's turns 2100. It requires spending more to get the saw  speed slow enough. My Case LAE turned about 1300rpm so it was not much of a problem to get saw rpm correct.

If you are using a  flat belt drive, you are looking for the arbor  pulley being about 4ft in diameter to get enough surface area to handle a 100 + horse power.

sdunston

The guys over at the red power can be a good source of info on all that old farmall/IH stuff
http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums//index.php?act=idx
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Fla._Deadheader

My first mill was a Corley-Fisher & Davis, mongrel. I rebuilt the wood and bought a rebuilt UD-9. It was slow sawing. You truly are "The sawyer", because you are constantly changing the feed speed, to keep from stalling the blade.

I was sawing mixed hardwoods. Softwoods might saw a little easier.
  Sold it and bought a Corley Production mill, and it came with a 4-71 Jimmy. That's about a third more HP, and it too needed attention to the Barking sound and the saw singing.

First mill had a flat belt. Second had 5 "C" section V belts. Worlds of difference.

My opinion, UD-9 would be good for a cedar mill, nothing large or hard, like white Oak-Hickory logs.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

I know someone near me that started with an old wood framed mill with a UD-9. Not enough power. Moved up to a bigger mill with a Cummins 220 HP dinosaur of an engine. Now runs a 75 HP electric.

millstead

i wasnt sure if the ud-9 would run my mill i dont have anything now so it would run better than nothing the guy who has it wants 350.00 dollars for it he said it came off a sawmill  it runs from what i was told i also found a 6v71 detroit with a trans that is setup for a flat belt the guy who has the detroit just sold his mill and doesnt nead it anymore he wants 1000.00 dollars for it and it is also running and ready to go on the mill i would prefer something that doesnt use alot of fuel a day but i guess i dont have much choice about that thanks for all the replies

Dave Shepard

If you run the Jimmy, you'll just have to make sure you've got enough help to saw quickly, that's all. :D I'm an IH collector, so I'd by the UD-9 for $350 any day!

bandmiller2

Millstead,how big a wheel are you spinning and are you into production or just dubbing around for yourself??If your looking at any kind of production and have a large headsaw with alot of teeth best go with the detroit,especially if it has a variable speed governor.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!