iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

oregon spinner info

Started by teddy, October 16, 2009, 12:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teddy

I am sure it is self explanatory, but does any have instructions for a Oregon spinner?

Or can any one walk me thru it!

Thanks Matt

Al_Smith

It's pretty simple .Set your roller heights for whatever size chain you are spinning .Make sure you have the correct sized spinning anvil installed .You spin the side of the rivit which faces the spinner crank.

Align the rivit up to the backer which is the lever you adjust .Apply some tension and spin the spinner crank while keeping tension on the backer .Use a drop of oil on the side to be spun before hand ..

The first few you do it's a good idea to spin a little then back off the tension to make sure you've spun the rivit tight enough but not too tight as to bind the chain joint .

Any way that done,move on to the next rivit and repeat . Once you get the hang of it it will be hard to determine your spun joints and those which were factory installed .

bandmiller2

Matt,first you need three hands to get all the little pieces in place.Put a drop of oil on the spinner,push agenst the spinner head.Do a little then check your progress don't over spin it will bind the link.You want it to look like the rest of the rivet heads.You will just have to do it to learn,if you get it too tight just punch it out and redo.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I'll tell you what helps if you're all thumbs .A set of skinny vice grips that look like needle nose pliers  to hold the mess together untill to get one rivit partly spun so the whole mess doesn't fall apart thus causing an outpouring of foul  language after about the third time it happens .

Rocky_J

Many people want to spin and spin and spin the rivet while slooo-o-o-o-o-o-o-oooly cranking the back handle down to squeeze it. This will result in a weak, loose link. You want to squeeze it down fairly quickly- in the span of about 4-5 cranks on the spinner. The squeezing action will slightly flare the rivet into place, making a tight fit which will be stronger with less slop.

teddy

Vocab lesson for me! IS THIS RIGHT?????????

-Spinner anvil (is located in the handle crank)???????

-Backer (which is the threaded all metal handle)????????

And as for the presets and tie straps, I want to have the tie straps against the backer(correct), and the tie straps against the spinner handle????????????

Thanks Matt

Rocky_J

I just went out and took a few pictures of the process to help give you an idea. I use a small dab of grease rather than oil on the rivets. This is 3/8 lo pro but they all spin up the same.

Al_Smith

I'm glad you put those pics on there .Make darn sure you have that spinner tied down to some thing good and solid because you are going to do some serious cranking on that thing spinning a rivit .

Before spinners every thing was peened but that's another subject which I  might delve into in another thread should the need arise .

Rocky_J

Modern, smaller chains don't require anywhere near the force of the old 7/16 and 1/2" chains from your days, Al.  ;D :-*

Al_Smith

Ah yes but contrary to popular belief I don't spin that size.Those I peen . :D

In truth I only have the anvil for 3/8" and .404 . 3/8 low and .325 I also peen but they are so few it's not a big deal .

teddy

Thanks Rocky and Al !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am learning to post pics, And I will show you my home made sharpening, mending, riveting station!
And yes pics are worth a million answers.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Tree Reb

Hello Matt.

Fancy finding you two here.  :D

I have the Stihl spinner manual [same thing] on pdf file, I don't think I know how to post it. I can email it to you if you want it. :)

It worked.

Rocky_J

Hey Steve, you found us! Now I have to find another hiding spot.  :D

Tree Reb

Don't worry you're safe, and for a small fee I won't tell any British guys where you are. smiley_operator

rebocardo

Rocky, those pictures were worth about 7,000 words  :)

Thank You Sponsors!