iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

xylene/acetone/synthetic oil diesel and gas additive???

Started by shinnlinger, October 15, 2009, 09:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

This was from another thread but thought it was interesting enough to repost on it's own.
I hear folks are pre mixing acetone and xylene 50/50 and added about 2 ounces to every 10 gallons of gas and diesel folks throw in an ounce or two of synthetic to boot. 

I am curios about exactly what ratios people were doing, how they were actually mixing and in what applications.  And finally of course, what they are seeing for results.

Sounds good to me, but maybe it can get refined a bit here.

Thanks.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

ohsoloco

I'm glad you started this thread shinnlinger.  This topic kinda hijacked the other thread, so I didn't want to ask too many questions.  Haven't done any of this yet, but I'm going to pick up my new (to me) diesel truck tomorrow, so I'm really interested.

John Woodworth

Have been using acetone for years as a fuel additive both gas and deisel, I generaly use 3oz. per 10 gallons but I know there are other formulas. Just go on-line with Acetone as a fuel additive you will be surprised at what you'll read.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

shinnlinger

Ok John,

Are you glugging Acetone right in your tank from the can at fillup and calling it good or is there more to it?  How does it help you????
Shinnlinger

fishpharmer

Yes, I too am curious? What's the goal or purpose? Increased mileage?

More flammable diesel?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

shinnlinger

My understanding is Acetone helps with atomization and allows more complete a burn and thus increased mileage.

I think the folks add xylene as a stabilizer as thats what is Stabil and 10%ethanol gas is hard on small engines and the synthetic oil is added to diesel to help the ULSD stuff not rip out your fuel pump but flows through a fuel filter pretty well.

BUt I am confused because I don't know if people add all three to both diesel and gas and in what dosage and if folks are seeing good results.
Shinnlinger

Toolman

I've been adding Acetone/Xylenol in my tank for years. When I had my 03 Powerstroke, I added 3 oz. Acetone/Xylenol mix to my fuel at 3 - 4 oz. per 10 gal. My Acetone/Xylenol mix was about 1/3 Xylenol 2/3 Acetone. I carried a bottle in my vehicle at all times. I would measure out according to amount of fuel to be added at the fuel pump. I had a scan guage in my vehicle, so I always knew how much fuel I would need at fillup. I also added 1 oz synthetic motor oil to my fuel(Rotella 5-40) per 10 gal. If you drive a diesel, you will notice very little black smoke out of the exhaust when you accelerate hard. This indicates more complete burning of fuel. I experienced 2-3 more miles per gal. The oil additive keeps injectors lubricated due to lack of sulfur in the ULSD. The ULSD contains higher amounts of parafin wax than the older fuel. This can create a problem in cold weather. The Xylenol helps to keep wax softer , thus preventing clogging of your fuel filters. I do the same in my Toyota Tundra except, I use 2-3 oz Acetone/Xylenol. I still add the oil for the injectors due to that crappy dry ethanol that is added to gas. There is a product on the market that helps disperse the Ethanol throughout the fuel. I can't remember the name. I think it's startron or starbrite. The cost of it turned me off. The Acetone/Xylenol mix in my outboard motor really cuts down on the amount of smoke from the exhaust also. I swear by it. The Acetone acts as cleanser in your engines exhaust. Anybody who gets on here and says Acetone is hard on your rubber fuel lines is full of it. I took a piece of my rubber fuel line off of an old fuel tank from my old outboard and soaked it in pure Acetone for over 2 months one winter just to prove a guy wrong. That fuel line was fine. Also, never use paint store Acetone. It contains benzoate(think I spelled it right). It is added to help cut down evaporation. It must be 100% pure. Beauty supply store is the best. They sell it to remove fingernail polish. Get the unscented. I get a gal. at Sally Beauty supply for around $20.00, sometimes cheaper. A gal goes a long way for your average driving. ..

I spoke to guy about this and he told me that if you have a vehicle with high mileage that it may take 3 or 4 tanks through your vehicle before you notice any improvement on mileage. I had 19,000 on my Powerstroke when I started using it. My Tundra was brand new when I started using it. I'm getting betwn 19-21 mpg on my 5.7 L Tundra on highway. That's more than the 17 mpg that Toyota brags about.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

routestep

Now that I'm a little older and wake up in the middle of the night, I listen to the American Trucking Network on am 700 out of Cincinnati. They run an ad for a lubricant additive call motorkote for engines, gearboxes and anything mechanical. Never tried it myself but truckers call in and say they see gas milage improvements. Last night I heard of a new additive for diesels called hotshot. It is an detergent additive to clean up injectors.
Anyone have any experience with these products?

I'll give the xylene/acetone a try. Acetone when mixed with hydrogen peroxide will percepitate out a very unstable explosive. Guess I wouldn't end up on someones list for buying a small amount.

ohsoloco

Quote from: Toolman on October 16, 2009, 12:16:51 AM
Also, never use paint store Acetone. It contains benzoate(think I spelled it right). It is added to help cut down evaporation. It must be 100% pure.

How 'bout the xylenol, toolman?  Plain 'ol "paint store" stuff  ???

Toolman

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Thank You Sponsors!