iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Duct Tape

Started by Rockn H, October 14, 2009, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

MythBusters are doing a special on duct tape tonight at 8:00 central.
8)

Yes I like duct tape. :)

isawlogs

Cool ....  Two of my favorites ...  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Reminds me of Red Green.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on October 14, 2009, 06:17:52 PM
Reminds me of Red Green.
Take a look at how much Duct Tape he has on the table. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Lnfpulwjc

Tom

I watched it, and it was great.  I wish I could have helped.

They lifted a car with 99 straps of tape.

They built a cannon breach with a 1" panel of layered duck tape.  It held through the firing with essentially no damage.

They built an entire cannon out of ducktape and fired an 18 lb. cannonball, 125 yards.... twice.

They patched the hole in a boat that kinda worked.

They built a small sailboat, sail and all, and the two, Adam and Jamie, sailed it  in the bay around the Golden Gate bridge.  It worked.  8) 8)

Rockn H

Yeah, I watched it myself.  I was quite impressed with them lifting the car.  I would have thought the glue would have failed first, the way it was just stuck to the sides of the car.  The boat was cool.  Makes me want to build a duct tape canoe. :D

fishpharmer

I love duct tape.  Tom, thanks for the summary of Mythbusters I missed it. 

WDH and MH I enjoyed Red and Green, that was kinda cool to this redneck ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Red Green was one of my favorite shows.  I especially enjoyed Ranger Gord.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

I love Red Green- you guys ever see his Cadilac backhoe? I've read that duct tape was originally "duck" tape because the fabric it was made with was cotton duck, like Carhartt bibs. It works great for everything but ducts, heating ducts melt the adhesive.
Too many irons in the fire

easymoney

duck tape and wd40 two things you should  never be without.if it moves and should not use duck tape if it should move and dont use wd40

isawlogs

"Duck" tape is on the top ten things I bring with me on a trip , it is also in my red cross box along with absorbent pads for the large cuts  ::) 

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

semologger

Yep cant live without it. Also bailing wire is one more thing i keep on hand. I watched the shpw last night mythbusters is one of the few shows i  watch. Most other shows dont seem to do much for me anymore.

beenthere

Quote from: easymoney on October 15, 2009, 09:51:36 AM
duck tape and wd40 two things you should  never be without.if it moves and should not use duck tape if it should move and dont use wd40

I graduated to RustReaper and retired the wd40.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ibseeker

If you're looking for a better lubricant that is also a protectant, something that WD40 is not, try  Fluid Film. It's a lanolin based product that works amazingly well. I use it on my fishing pliers and they never rust, even after 16 days on the ocean. I found this product kind of by accident and I think it's the best out there. I found it on ebay for about $9 a can, well worth it.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Tom

The Mythbuster guys described the name as "Duck tape".  It was developed by the U.S. Army for remedies of failures in the field and was nicknamed Duck Tape because it's poly backing shed water and the natural rubber adhesive would adhere almost anywhere.  It didn't get the name "Duct tape" until after WWII when the air-conditioning trade began to use it.

It is also noted that Cotton duck is a term denoting Linen or canvas type material.  It could be that this was the reason that the tape (fabric reinforced) was called Duck Tape.

At any rate, it is currently called Duct Tape, or Duck Tape, interchangeably, in the USA. 

petefrom bearswamp

I'msticking with WD40. (and Duck tape)
Tried rust reaper and the results were underwhelming
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on October 15, 2009, 05:51:45 PM
pete

If you are saying you used rust reaper, and you think wd-40 is better, I am saying without reservation you never took it out of the bottle. Thats like saying that you like sandpaper better then toilet paper. Anyone else here that uses it, knows better.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

My thoughts too Jeff.

Just today, heard from two people who couldn't believe what the RR did for them.

One who had used wd40 extensively for several days. He'd given up. A day with RR and he thought someone had pre-loosened them. Both are sold.

The list goes on....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

easymoney

a lot of younger folks would not rember bailing wire. i rember when a generous supply of used bailing wire could be found around the barn. now you probably would be lucky to find any used binder twine in the barn. :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on October 15, 2009, 09:06:35 AM
It works great for everything but ducts, heating ducts melt the adhesive.

Oh?  ;D

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Not only can you find the baling wire around here, you could easily get a used baler too. Internation "47 I beleave is a wire baler "37 would be twine , or the other way around ...  :P

Marcel

moonhill

I tried selling it as seat covers here on the forum but they wouldn't have it.  I have my seat on my mill partly covered, I get on and off so much the second cover in 15 years needs patching.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

barbender

I knew someone would have to counter my statement SD  :D Aluminum foil tape does work much better
Too many irons in the fire

ellmoe

Instead of banding I use duct tape to tie small bundles of wood. It is alot easier, more convenient, and works just as well. Duct tape and baling wire, essentials in my tool box. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

thecfarm

Haywire something together to keep it working in an old country saying and fix.I was asked at work once about haywiring something together.One of the mechanics had never heard of it,so they came to me and asked me what haywire is used for.
We used to have some behind the shed.Was not really out of the weather.It's all gone now.Brings back a lot of memories of my Father using it for something.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

moonhill

I have a spool or two of Wreath wire hanging around.  Tipping and wreath season is coming right up.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

IMERC

Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

IMERC

iffy

Along with about a jillion other uses, we use duct tape in elk camp to tape our air mattresses to our cots before we put the sleeping bag on top. Otherwise they go squishing out like a bar of soap. A wad of it makes a good fire starter too.

Kansas

I always get a kick out of this.

http://www.stuckatprom.com/contests/prom/

There sure are some creative kids out there.

SwampDonkey

Hay wire is easily purchased at farmer coops around here. I think I have a whole roll of it on a shelf in the shop. I've seen it used on a drive shaft in a FORD once, on the universal.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

easymoney

the hay wire i rember came in about 6 foot lengths with a loop on one end so when it was looped around the hay it could be tied to keep the bail together. the little rolls you find now is called mechanics wire.

isawlogs

I think the best all around wire  would be the wire used in tying rebar together , flexible , strong and cheap .  :)

Marcel

BaldBob

What I can't understand is how Lewis and Clark made it across the continent and back without baling wire or Duct tape.

isawlogs

They had  babish babiche ;) 

Marcel

isawlogs

babiche definition

ba·biche (bä bēs̸h′)

noun
Chiefly Cdn. rawhide thongs or lacings, used for tying or weaving, esp. in snowshoes

Etymology: CdnFr < Micmac aapapiich, cord, thread, lit., net string

Not sure I want these ...  :o

Marcel

Modat22

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on October 15, 2009, 05:51:45 PM
pete

an old timer machinist gave me his secret recipe for his penetrating oil.

60 percent acetone
40 percent ATF

I gotta say I love this mix and its cheap to make.
remember man that thy are dust.

beenthere

RR can't be beat. And it isn't expensive either.  8)
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

My throttle on my brush saw was sticking a little after a few days of cold weather hardened the fir sap that might have got on the throttle trigger. I took the RR and the needle applicator and squeezed a bit inside the housing and problem solved. I'd never spray WD40 on it, it would gum up worst than ever.

logwalker

My take on wd40 is it is mostly fish oil. That is why it worked so well on fishing lures. Not that I ever had to stoop to that level.

But a lasting lubricant it is not. They have made it almost inflammable also. I used to use it for seating the bead on low pressure tubes implement tires. That was fun for sure. But it doesn't work for that anymore. Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZhszvMjvjg&NR=1
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Mooseherder

I got this e-mail from my brother yesterday.  We had left the Game Camera up at the camp hoping to catch some more critters walking by.  He put it away for the winter.

"Glenn,  I mailed your camera card today. The little plastic tab on the sliding battery cover broke off when I tried to open it. There was frost last Sat morning when i removed from the tree.  It will take Mcgyver tape to hold the cover now."

isawlogs

Had to resort to that method a few times with big and some small tires.. in the big tires ya need a little more then those two little squirts he used  :D :D  Thers a big bang when you put on loader tire on with this method , more like a woooshh  :o    ;D

Marcel

Raider Bill

I ordered some rust reaper a couple weeks ago. First time. I tried it on a couple things with great results much better than WD or PB blaster.

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

WDH

Here is a current use of duct tape at the Moultrie Ag Expo.  Engineering design is courtesy of Woodbowl  :D.

southpaw

Back in high school had a metal / welding instructor that gave me the appreciation for duct tape and baling wire. I'd be welding on my project he'd pull his truck into shop to fix what ever was broke, I'd stop go over and ask if he'd like that fixed right I could and would weld it right up for him ;D ;D, he'd always say no need this will last just as long and wire or tape it up for the fix ;D ;D. It must have his tuck was just about all tape and wire in 3 years that I was there.  ??? :-\

SwampDonkey

We have a law about clunkers which have open rust holes, they get failed on inspection. So, folks just slap the duct take on for a passing grade. :D And you thought Red Green was just entertainment. :D :D

nas

Quote from: SwampDonkey on October 23, 2009, 05:58:24 PM
We have a law about clunkers which have open rust holes, they get failed on inspection. So, folks just slap the duct take on for a passing grade. :D And you thought Red Green was just entertainment. :D :D
There is a fine line between entertainment and education! smiley_reading_book smiley_headscratch smiley_idea
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

PineNut

In years past, I have used my share of haywire. Now I have changed over to electric fence wire. Readily available in 14 and 17 gauge. Also available in aluminum. With a roll of each, it handles a lot of repairs. It can also be used for an electric fence.

SwampDonkey

Mooseherder

I finally used Duct (duck) tape for it's intended purpose for the first time a couple weeks ago.
Our 20 year old stove was a couple years past expiration date and I also had to swap the Range Hood out.
The old duct work wasn't gonna work  no more so off to the Orange depot I went for some new Duct. ;D

SwampDonkey

Revitalized chair arms with duct tape.  ;D 8)

ErikC

The seat cover on my backhoe is all duct tape now. It is better than ever ;D
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!