iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Duct Tape

Started by Rockn H, October 14, 2009, 05:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockn H

MythBusters are doing a special on duct tape tonight at 8:00 central.
8)

Yes I like duct tape. :)

isawlogs

Cool ....  Two of my favorites ...  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Reminds me of Red Green.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Quote from: WDH on October 14, 2009, 06:17:52 PM
Reminds me of Red Green.
Take a look at how much Duct Tape he has on the table. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Lnfpulwjc

Tom

I watched it, and it was great.  I wish I could have helped.

They lifted a car with 99 straps of tape.

They built a cannon breach with a 1" panel of layered duck tape.  It held through the firing with essentially no damage.

They built an entire cannon out of ducktape and fired an 18 lb. cannonball, 125 yards.... twice.

They patched the hole in a boat that kinda worked.

They built a small sailboat, sail and all, and the two, Adam and Jamie, sailed it  in the bay around the Golden Gate bridge.  It worked.  8) 8)

Rockn H

Yeah, I watched it myself.  I was quite impressed with them lifting the car.  I would have thought the glue would have failed first, the way it was just stuck to the sides of the car.  The boat was cool.  Makes me want to build a duct tape canoe. :D

fishpharmer

I love duct tape.  Tom, thanks for the summary of Mythbusters I missed it. 

WDH and MH I enjoyed Red and Green, that was kinda cool to this redneck ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Red Green was one of my favorite shows.  I especially enjoyed Ranger Gord.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

barbender

I love Red Green- you guys ever see his Cadilac backhoe? I've read that duct tape was originally "duck" tape because the fabric it was made with was cotton duck, like Carhartt bibs. It works great for everything but ducts, heating ducts melt the adhesive.
Too many irons in the fire

easymoney

duck tape and wd40 two things you should  never be without.if it moves and should not use duck tape if it should move and dont use wd40

isawlogs

"Duck" tape is on the top ten things I bring with me on a trip , it is also in my red cross box along with absorbent pads for the large cuts  ::) 

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

semologger

Yep cant live without it. Also bailing wire is one more thing i keep on hand. I watched the shpw last night mythbusters is one of the few shows i  watch. Most other shows dont seem to do much for me anymore.

beenthere

Quote from: easymoney on October 15, 2009, 09:51:36 AM
duck tape and wd40 two things you should  never be without.if it moves and should not use duck tape if it should move and dont use wd40

I graduated to RustReaper and retired the wd40.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ibseeker

If you're looking for a better lubricant that is also a protectant, something that WD40 is not, try  Fluid Film. It's a lanolin based product that works amazingly well. I use it on my fishing pliers and they never rust, even after 16 days on the ocean. I found this product kind of by accident and I think it's the best out there. I found it on ebay for about $9 a can, well worth it.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

Tom

The Mythbuster guys described the name as "Duck tape".  It was developed by the U.S. Army for remedies of failures in the field and was nicknamed Duck Tape because it's poly backing shed water and the natural rubber adhesive would adhere almost anywhere.  It didn't get the name "Duct tape" until after WWII when the air-conditioning trade began to use it.

It is also noted that Cotton duck is a term denoting Linen or canvas type material.  It could be that this was the reason that the tape (fabric reinforced) was called Duck Tape.

At any rate, it is currently called Duct Tape, or Duck Tape, interchangeably, in the USA. 

petefrom bearswamp

I'msticking with WD40. (and Duck tape)
Tried rust reaper and the results were underwhelming
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Jeff

Quote from: petefrombearswamp on October 15, 2009, 05:51:45 PM
I'msticking with WD40. (and Duck tape)
Tried rust reaper and the results were underwhelming
pete

If you are saying you used rust reaper, and you think wd-40 is better, I am saying without reservation you never took it out of the bottle. Thats like saying that you like sandpaper better then toilet paper. Anyone else here that uses it, knows better.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

My thoughts too Jeff.

Just today, heard from two people who couldn't believe what the RR did for them.

One who had used wd40 extensively for several days. He'd given up. A day with RR and he thought someone had pre-loosened them. Both are sold.

The list goes on....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

easymoney

a lot of younger folks would not rember bailing wire. i rember when a generous supply of used bailing wire could be found around the barn. now you probably would be lucky to find any used binder twine in the barn. :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: barbender on October 15, 2009, 09:06:35 AM
It works great for everything but ducts, heating ducts melt the adhesive.

Oh?  ;D

;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Not only can you find the baling wire around here, you could easily get a used baler too. Internation "47 I beleave is a wire baler "37 would be twine , or the other way around ...  :P

Marcel

moonhill

I tried selling it as seat covers here on the forum but they wouldn't have it.  I have my seat on my mill partly covered, I get on and off so much the second cover in 15 years needs patching.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

barbender

I knew someone would have to counter my statement SD  :D Aluminum foil tape does work much better
Too many irons in the fire

ellmoe

Instead of banding I use duct tape to tie small bundles of wood. It is alot easier, more convenient, and works just as well. Duct tape and baling wire, essentials in my tool box. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Thank You Sponsors!