iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log clamp

Started by tyb525, October 13, 2009, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

The performance of the clamp on my LT10 seems to have decreased with use, dramatically so as of late.

You folks with LT15s have the same clamp (I think?). It works fine when is up high (cause of more leverage), but when it gets down to the last 3 or 4 inches it is nearly impossible for it to get a "bite" on the bed rail. It almost always will slip or it won't get enough of a bite and it will come loose while I am sawing. (Meaning I have to stand on the board/cant after the saw gets in a ways to hold it!)

So, for those more experienced, what can I do to make my clamp hold better, -or-, have any of you come up with a better kind of clamp?

Hopefully I can get a picture or two tomorrow.

Thanks,
Ty
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don K

Ty, More than likely it is bent a little. I have the same problem from time to time. Take it apart and check the flat section that sits on top of the rail. Also make sure your release clip is still straight. They bend very easily. Most likely culprit will be the top piece though. It allows it to lay back a little.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

moonhill

A picture of the clamp would be nice, I am interested in seeing how it works.

Mine slip it they are wet, rust actually helps it bind, and I never oil it.  Mine may be of a different type. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Meadows Miller

Gday Ty

are you useing cam dogs on a slide on the lt10 Mate ? i use to just unbolt the slide bar and whack it in the vice and rough up alittle  ;) with with a mill file held  on a 45deg angle at 90deg evey 1/8th to 1/16th it will give you

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

tyb525

It's not the slide bar, the actually clamping part, that isn't holding, it's the bracket that sits on the bed rail that won't "bite" into the rail.

What Don K said makes sense, I'll try that.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Don K

I was having a hard time trying to put pics from my mind into words. You used to right word-- bite. Top black top part with the little handle on the left will get a little hump in it and the back edge won't bite.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

tyb525

I also thought about maybe sharpening or somehow getting that edge square again? It seems like it would get rounded after some use.

Thank You Sponsors!