iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looks like I bought a LM 2000 and with a little luck.. will pick up tomorrow

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 13, 2009, 07:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I think I bought a LM 2000, about 50 hours on it, two 4 foot extensions, no gas engine (had elec. pwr.), some new blades, just basic LM 2000.

I will leave at 2 AM & drive 600 miles to buy it.  I'm fairly certain it will break down Ok and load on 87 Chev. with Utility Body.

The utility body is 4 foot wide inside, 8 foot long bed with short tail gate. I am counting on the overhead pipe racks to support the mill bed on the way home. The contractor rack is fairly heavy duty. The 1st rack is right behind the cab and 2nd rack at the rear of the bed (8 foot spacing).

I was told that the Power Head/ Saw Body would fit fine in the 48 inch wide bed. Seller has a high lift to get the tracks (broken down) up on the Pipe Rack.

I'm sure that the LM 2000 has been transported on a pickup before... any tricks to the trade. I will be breaking down the LM 2000 by myself. I'll have help during the final load up with highlift. I'm guessing, about 3 1/2 hours to break down mill in good size hunks & load; taking camera & note pad & small bags for hardware.

I plan on teaming the LM 2000 with 410 Moulder, we'll see if it's as good as the demo video.

Avery   
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

TreeWinder

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

ladylake

No motor, thats good now you can put a big diesel on it.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

nas

Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on October 13, 2009, 07:10:31 PM
I'm guessing, about 3 1/2 hours to break down mill in good size hunks & load; taking camera & note pad & small bags for hardware.

I plan on teaming the LM 2000 with 410 Moulder, we'll see if it's as good as the demo video.

Avery   
You should be able to split the bed in half and load 2 12' sections without a problem in the first hour.  Then 2 1/2 hrs drinkin' coffee with the previous owner. ;D
You're buying a great little mill.  Congratulations 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

pasbuild

Congratulations on the mill, I have had fun following your decision making process.
you should enjoy the mill, I do mine ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

fishpharmer

Yahoo for you!!  Although I was hoping you would visit ole Mississippi and me. 

What are your engine/motor plans?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

H60 Hawk Pilot

I have two Onans 20 + some HP, also 4 cyl. Wisconsin which is too big for LM 2000 ... I'd say.

I was just looking at Kohlers at Northern $ 1,965.00 for 27 HP. I'd like to use the Onans but may not work because they are off Generators they may have a weird set up that couples to generator.

I'll work it out, I'd like to use some thing that I have gathered up & keep my bucks at home. 

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

customdave

Hey man , right on , have a safe trip !, getter home and back together throw a log on her & let her rip, nothing like the smell of sawdust & fresh lumber!!!Have fun...

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

bandmiller2

Avery,why not leave it electric and get[if you don't have] a standby gen.Single or three phase??electric is the cat's pooper you can hear yourself think,and breath clean air.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I suppose I better say congratulation now. You will get the sawmill home,put the motor on it,start sawing logs and we won't hear from you for a week.  ;D  Have fun with it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Hawk, the onans would be a pain to hook up. The crankshaft stub will be tapered with no key, will require some machine work. Don't know about the side loads on the main bearing. If you decide on another motor, take a look at the 27 hp liquid cooled kawasaki. Tulsa engine warehouse has them for about the same as the kohler. Comes complete with cooling system and muffler. I put one on my woodmizer lt40, love it.

Another option--some golf carts use a big centrifugal clutch that fits on a tapered shaft, might fit on the onan

Methinks the wisconsin would be a bit heavy.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ely

mine came with the 20 hp honda, if i redone it i would go with the 24 hp honda.... although i do not know why. i have no complaints about my set up.

H60 Hawk Pilot

The Hawk has Landed  :D with Double Stacked (12 ft.) LM 2000 bed and (no motor) mill head/ frame.  8)

It was long day, just over 24 hours (from 3:00 AM to 3:15 AM) and quite a drive... 840 round trip, about $235.00 on gas (only 10 MPG).

I like this LM 2000, shows hardly any wear & adds up to 50 hour of usage by owner.  We seperated it at 12 foot mark & loaded it on roof rack. We had to lay the saw frame down sideways so it did not rub on the bottom of mill beds stacked on roof rack.

I took pictures and will post tnem tomorrow. It's getting late & have a story ot two to go with my trip to Chapel Hill, NC.

Avery

H60 Hawk Pilot

I do not have 3 phase power and expensive to put in, priced at  $ 5K.  My current service needs to be upgraded too, only 100 amp.  I'm running  a jumper line from house to shop and it's only rated at 60 amp, 220V /1P.

I have a diesel gen. that is 30 KVA. The owner had a 12 or 15 HP/ 3 Phase motor on this mill. My gen. is -- 30 KVA/ 3/1 phase but might be a little low on AMPs for starting.  I could buy a elec. motor with capactor start, I'm not a elec. motor guy. I'd like elec. quiet, my hearing is almost shot. Note: He wanted 1K for the elec. motor and I left it there (above reason).

I have plans to mount the LM 2000 on a long trailer that I own, the generator could ride in the back of the 1 ton pick up, we will see.

Avery     

James P.

Congratulations Avery, lucky you got it all done before the storm. If you find you can use your generator a 3 phase motor in the 15 hp only run about $5 a hp or probably find one cheaper so you were smart to pass on it IMO . benefit of electric is besides all stated closer to true HP than combustion engines. Well I am sure you will be busy. Keep on posting. really would be nice if from start to finish you could go thru the home building process. I know it will be a pain in the butt to post everything but it will help a lot of members and future members. I need some inspiration. thanks and good luck. James P

fishpharmer

Keep it simple.  Why not just put a small gas or diesel if you want portability.  If you and son are in the woods and you need to go get something.  Son can't saw while your gone.  Genset kills noise advantage and may be precarious in rainy weather on a metal trailer, with a big cord dragging around.

IMO ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

H60 Hawk Pilot

Yea, your right... other than a home based sawmill my Diesel GenSet will be barking about 15 to 20  feet away & still noisy.

I never thought about getting shocked on rainy (wet) days or dry days too; this is not the way I wanted to go out...  " Fried to LM 2000 push/ pull handle ! ! ! "

I know that elec. motors work well and last a long time. When they go bad, the Mtr. may short-out to Elec. Motor frame & LM 2000. I might get a  Big or Small Jolt from 220V  ? ! ?

I have a big Black & Decker Mag. drill that is doing this and still works, always a tingling sensation and getting a litttle worse each time I use it & only 110V.

Avery

DanG

Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on October 15, 2009, 12:12:11 PM
I do not have 3 phase power and expensive to put in, priced at  $ 5K.  My current service needs to be upgraded too, only 100 amp. 

As if you didn't have enough uncertainty about your plans, I'll throw another wrinkle in. ;D  Considering that you just doubtless saved a bunch by buying a mill without a motor, and you have to upgrade your electric service anyway, you might justify going ahead with 3 phase.  Part of my thinking on this is that once you have it, you'll have it forever, so if you're ever going to do it, this is the time.  I figure you already checked, but are there any mods to be made in order to convert the mill from electric to gas?  I'm thinking pulleys and motor mounts and such. ???  It all figures in when you're doing the math.

If you decide to go with combustion power, I'd suggest just going with about 2 extra horsepower and putting on a good muffler.  That genset idea sounds like a pain in  the butt to me.

The above is not advice, just fodder for thought. ;)  BTW, what happened to your hearing, as if I didn't know? ::) :D   Oh yeah, while you ain't doin nothing, take that drill apart and see what's wrong.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

H60 Hawk Pilot

DanG

I made a mistake when cleaning up my wording on my last thread (above). The 3 phase power cost is -- $15K + at my place.  I need to pay for the new transformer and running 3 phase lines to the power pole, price is 3 years old.  Upgraded 200 amp service (single phase) is  $1,500.00, priced 3 yr. ago. 

I have looked into 3 phase converters, the spinning dynamic ones are the best.  I have some three phase machines i.e. radial drill, hoz. milling mach., big hdy. pump, diesel pump test stand, etc. . The big expense is running underground cable about 150 feet, very pricey for heavy copper wire I think it's $ 4.75 per foot.  I already bought the (outside type) 200 A breaker box w/ meter base on ebay. The copper wire is 500 MPN ? {forgot the last 3 digits) but not the $ 4.75 per foot. 

I can add gas power to the LM 2000 in a heart beat ~  clutch type pulley, belt, engine kill switch, hand throttle, gas tank, muffler. The LM book is fairly clear and has the different types of pwr. installed. This L M 2000 has the motor mounting base plate already.

I'd like to get the mill up & running and change things as needed in the near future. I need to get the saw dust flying and get my internal sawyer fever to come down ASAP !

I have some other mods. in mind (swing blade or fixed blade) in mind to share the saw frame works  and these mods. may come about weeks or months later. 

Avery

DanG

Lots of difference between 5k and 15k, eh? :D :D :D  Gas motor is probably the quickest way to get some dust flying. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Larry

Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on October 15, 2009, 03:41:51 PM
The big expense is running underground cable about 150 feet, very pricey for heavy copper wire I think it's $ 4.75 per foot.  I already bought the (outside type) 200 A breaker box w/ meter base on ebay. The copper wire is 500 MPN ? {forgot the last 3 digits) but not the $ 4.75 per foot. 

Aluminum is lot cheaper.  Don't forget the 2008 NEC added another gotcha...you need 4 wires for service entrance now.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

H60 Hawk Pilot

I just looked in the LM 2000 book, lot's of Information, did not see where the data plate is located.

I did not see the machine data plate when I was loading mill, big hurry & weather moving in.

Avery

jason.weir

pineywoods

Quote from: jason.weir on October 15, 2009, 09:39:22 PM
check these guys our for motor options - they got a great selection

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009101520345037&item=28-1718

-J
Them guys are good for a lot of other stuff that any sawmiller will need. I just bought enuff hydraulic stuff from them to convert a manual mill to hydraulic...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

H60 Hawk Pilot

Wow

Great prices

24 HP Honda @ $ 900.00, Hoz. shaft

26 HP Kawasaki, liquid cooled at $ 980.00 but Ver. shaft

I could not fool around with LM 2000 repower with one of my used engines for  $ 900.00 bucks & brand new !

I see they have lot's of hdyraulic & power transmission equipment.... and that's even more scary and more ideas to follow.

Note:

I read some where that the " Known Honda Quality" has slipped in recent years. Has anyone heard anything about small eng. quality ?  Someone wrote.... that Honda is not what they were in small engines and to steer away from them... that's all I remember reading.

Avery

rickywashere

Quote from: H60 Hawk Pilot on October 16, 2009, 12:25:51 AM
Wow

Great prices

24 HP Honda @ $ 900.00, Hoz. shaft

26 HP Kawasaki, liquid cooled at $ 980.00 but Ver. shaft

I could not fool around with LM 2000 repower with one of my used engines for  $ 900.00 bucks & brand new !

I see they have lot's of hdyraulic & power transmission equipment.... and that's even more scary and more ideas to follow.

Note:

I read some where that the " Known Honda Quality" has slipped in recent years. Has anyone heard anything about small eng. quality ?  Someone wrote.... that Honda is not what they were in small engines and to steer away from them... that's all I remember reading.

Avery

well any honda i have seen last few years has ran great

Thank You Sponsors!