iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wow!!!

Started by inspectorwoody, October 13, 2009, 06:08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

Wow is right!  :o

I got a package in the mail today from Steve (Burlkraft) and I cannot put into words how I felt when I opened the box.  :) :) :)

This is a birds eye maple marking stick.  :o

It is beautifal!  :)  :)  :)

Awesome work Steve!  :)

From my little place in NE Iowa, I say THANK YOU STEVE!  :)  :)  :)

Norm

That Steve is one heck of a guy!

Pretty darn talented too.  :)

Burlkraft

Glad ya like it  ;)  ;)  ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

I saw that up close and it is for sure an awesome piece of wood. And an awesome amount of care went into turning it out (pun intended  ;D ).

Dare you take it out in the mill with you?   ;) ;)

Need a pic of you grading lumber with it. We like pics.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

inspectorwoody

It will be going with me to the mill in the morning!  ;D

Have to show it off to the boss!  ;D :D ;D

It will see a limited amount of grading time.  ;)

They have a way of getting nicked up on the line.  :D

rickywashere

even though its a beautiful piece of wood  a few nicks will only at character and a few more words to the story when you tell its to folks :)

WDH

I want to walk with that stick :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Warbird

That's what I thought it was at first, WDH.  Sure is beautiful.

inspectorwoody

Hey Steve....

The boss wants one!  :D ;D :D

He likes the little bump out on the handle. He said it was pretty neat and I think he was impressed.  ;)

The stick works good as I used it on some G.Elm this morning.

Burlkraft

I'm glad it works  :)  :)

This is a good way ta get in good with the boss....Give him yours   :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

SwampDonkey

That'll just give'm (boss) something else to lean hard on. :D

Nice work Steve, should see production go up a little,eh? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

I don't imagine he thinks that much of the boss. :D :D
Bill

inspectorwoody

QuoteThis is a good way ta get in good with the boss....Give him yours       

I don't think so!  :D

Just think Steve, you can get in touch with Conway Cleveland and start making speciality sticks!  ;D :D

It is pretty neat marking lumber with it, knowing how much time and care went into making it.  ;)

The boss don't lean, he just goes to the office and sits!  :D :D :D

WDH

Woody,

I would appreciate if you could explain how the marking process with the stick works.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

We need a Monty Python theme here.

Ode to thoust most gracious stick wielder, please be ever so favorable on your scale. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

inspectorwoody

When I am on the line, I have my lumber rule in my right hand and my marking stick in my left or vice versa.

A select/btr board gets an "O", 1com gets a "/", 2com gets an "x", 3A gets a "V" and 3B or pallet gets a half moon.

We also mark for rips and cut offs.

Does that help?

If not, let me know and I'll try to clear it up.  ;)

WDH

So you slide chalk in the working end of the stick and use the stick to mark the grade on the board?

Gary_C

Thanks Woody! I always wondered what those chicken scratches meant and now I know. If you do mark for rips and cut offs, do you mark the grade after trimming or as the board grades presently?
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

inspectorwoody

I use Dixon Lumber Crayons.

The crayon fits in the brass holder which has a plunger so you can adjust how much of the crayon is sticking out.

You don't want to much sticking out.  ;) I've grumbled a few times.  :D You go to make another mark and nothing appears.  :D

The board is marked for the grade it will be after ripping etc.

For instance, if you have a 1com board and you can rip some wane off the edge to get a select, than you mark your rip and put a select mark on the back side. A line above the wane indicates the edge to rip and your width goes above the line.

6 1/2

Thank You Sponsors!