iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

RIGHT IN LINE

Started by dail_h, September 15, 2003, 10:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Looking at the latest radar pics,looks like the center of the eye of Isabel will probably go right between the house and the tractor shed.Oh well guess I'll spend the next coupla days battening down. Just went and bought generator-----BLOODSUCKERS
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Fla._Deadheader

Dail, good luck and keep yer head down. This is a mean one :o :o  Check in as often as possible.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Hey man, that thing looks scary. Find a Forestry Forum member inland and go visiting!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

woodhaven

Dail,
There ain't a sheet of plywood to be found around here. Everybody has already sold out of generators to. From the looks of that sucker it is centered right on top of my house. It gets you first then me. I have a few stacks of lumber out air drying. I guess it will be spread all over the county when this is over. This looks like the big one they have been calling for. Good Luck and I hope you don't end up with any damage.
Richard

Tom

You really need to make an effort to tie that lumber down.  That's a lot of potential missiles.   At 150 mph they could go straight through a house.  Maybe you could put down a mobile home tie down rod and hook onto it with a a nylon ratchet tie down like is use on the semi's  Sam's and HD and the like have them.

It might not hold but at least you would have made an effort. :)

Minnesota_boy

Woodhaven,
Wrap some banding steel over the top of the pile and nail both ends to the foundation of the pile, one at each end.  It will be really quick to do and then the wind has to tip the entire pile over to make a mess of it.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Tom

Yeah!  That might do it if the nails will hold.  I hadn't thought about just tieing it together.  I guess you could run the nylon strap over and under it and ratchet it together.  That would make it harder to move anyway.  A catagory 3 wouldn't have too much trouble moving a stack of wood if it it is out in the open.

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all still might luck out. Latest Radar shows it down to a mere 125 MPH ::) It might wither up. The ocean is pretty chilly for this time of year, offshore.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

Ron Wenrich

Projections right now are that it will be a strong category 2 or weak category 3 storm.  The measured a wind gust at 236 mph when flying into it today.   :o

The track is supposed to take that storm right up the Chesapeake and into PA.  I might get to see the eye.  Forecast calls for hurricane force winds in Philadelphia.  We are supposed to get the 70-80 mph variety.

Parts of SE PA had heavy rains today.  Remnants of Henri.  I thought I heard some areas had 8" of rain.  Lots of flooding and the storm hasn't hit yet.

I'm not looking forward to this storm.  We have had in excess of 10" of rain this year, and have had 10" in the past 6 weeks.  Ground is saturated.  We're to be hit Thursday and Friday.  I expect major flooding.

Gotta go and build that ark!   :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

CHARLIE

Ron, would you funnel some of that rainwater over here to SE Minnesota?  We are dry as a bone and could use some water.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

woodhaven

Holy Crap,
I was just out looking at what to do and realized I got about 4 cords of firewood stacked up, plus the lumber and plenty of other junk to go flying around. Looks like a long day tomarrow.
Richard

woodhaven

Just thought I would show you my place before the storm. I hope it still looks the same after she passes.

Richard

woodhaven

Just looking at the news on TV and one Indiana couple is really upset. The ladie said she had seen pictures of this area and the ocean and it looked just like the pictures. She had wanted to come here her whole life and didn't want to leave. Where she was standing with the ocean and white caps on the water it was pretty.
I don't think they had any idea what is in store for us. Do she wouldn't want to stay for the next couple of days,

Another couple was supposed to get married on the ocean front day after tomorrow but moved it up till today. They said there first born baby girl would be named ISABEL.
Richard

Frank_Pender

That is a nice look digs, Woodhaven.  I sure hope all rest well with you folks on the East Coast.

If you have some 5 or 6 hundred pound chunks of concrete you might set that on the lumber.  I use that to keep weight on Oak so that it will be less likely to twist and warp.

Good luck to all!
Frank Pender

Tobacco Plug

Nice looking home, Woodhaven.  Best of luck during the rough weather.  I am saying my prayers that all make it through OK.
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

woodhaven

Sometime around noon today I will be shutting down my server and all computers. The last good size storm that came through here left me without power for 7 days. I hope to be back but you never know.
Richard

dail_h

9 :45 P M Light winds ,and some rain .Battened down pretty tight. Small engine guy welched on generator deal,so probably no power for several days.I'll check in as soon as possible
      Volume Discount At ER

Jason_WI

dail,

Harbor Freight sells generator heads up to 10 kw. It's kinda late in the game but you could use the motor off the mill to run the generator head. Rig up a base so the generator head can be bolted down and then clamped to the bed. Lower the sawhead and align the pulleys. Clamp down the carrige. Add the belts. Raise the saw head to tighten the belts and clamp tight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41012

This idea could be patentable ;D ;D ;D

This only wurks if the motor on your mill ain't electric of course ::) ::)

How often does one need a generator??? On a farm it is a must to have one but for the ordanary person maybe a few times in a lifetime.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Tom

Reports we are getting is that it's not as bad as it could have been.  The biggest problem seems to be power in the DC are but I know that Rural folks suffer from lack of power too, they just don't draw as much attention.

How are y'all doing?  Let us know somehow.

Ron Wenrich

We didn't get a direct hit, since it moved to the west.  We only got an inch of rain, but had heavy winds. Gusts were to 60 mph and there was pretty much wind damage. Lots of urban trees being cut into firewood.  Not sure how the woods trees did, but doesn't appear to be too bad.

We had 250,000 without power  I lost my phone line.  Electric was OK.  They brought in an extra 300 bucket trucks from ILL before the storm.  That had to help quite a bit.  We had one area where all the electric lines came down - poles and all.

Lots of damage in the Baltimore area.  They had more like 10-12 inches of rain.  The Chesapeake even backed up, with the associated storm surge.

Still nothing like they had in NC area.  They were supposed to get a 40' storm surge and 110 mph winds.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hiya

Here in frederick co Md. we had some strong wind only about 2 inches rain. I live on a hill and get a lot of wind in most thunderstorms. We have two pens of chickens on pasture yet.Wed. evening we put a couple of fence post at the corners of the pens and ran a rope over the pens to tie them down, then I parked my work van against one and my wifes van against the other to help.Thursday morning I looked out, on pen was ok,but the other pen pulled the fence post out and fliped over the van. The chickens were under and arounf the van.We fixef the pen and put the chickens back in. Only lost 2.Our electric was off from Thursday 11:30 pm to Sat.about 6:00pm. I don't know what I'll see Monday At work I will be going to DC.Maybe I won't have work if electric is still off in that area.
Richard
RichardinMd.

AndyB

Here in Fauquier county ( 50 miles south and west of DC and 50 miles north and west of Richmond)  we had winds 50-60 mph but only got 3-1/2" rain.  Power was off for 29-1/2hrs.  We were fortunate to have a generator.  Damage was minimal but our neighborhood kids will be disappointed this year.  Our twenty foot blue spruce, which we decorated w/about 6000 lights each Christmas, was uprooted.  On the backroads there were numerous trees down across the road but the crews have done a tremendous job of clearing things.  My greatfull thanks go out to the highway and electrical crews, who put in some long hours in extremely dangerous  conditions, to get things up and running again.  

johnjbc

My power went off at 8PM last Thursday and didn't come back on until Last night at 11:00 PM
My small 2200 watt Sears generator through a rod Friday evening. ??? So I spent Saturday morning getting an old surplus WWII generator running. The main jets were plugged with varnish and the float was set way too high.
Its 3 phase and I was able to run the fridge and freezer on 110 with extension cords. Then I got the bright idea  ::) of  back feeding the house through the 220 plug on my welder. The well pump worked ok, we were trying to figure out what breaker controlled what when my wife said your computer is smoking. Pulled all the plugs and the busses in the breaker panel read 180 and 50.  Ground Problem  ????    Or can't you use 3 phase that way ???
Guess I need a new  power supply for my computer. >:(
Sure makes you appreciate our life stile after you try reading with a kerosene lamp   8) 8)
John
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

dail_h

I MADE IT THROUGH
   Took a real shellacking ,no roof on the house,trees down everywhere.Yard looks like a war zone.Just got power last night,too tired to post,everybody ok.Probably not a house within 5 mikes that didn't get some kind of damage.Millions of ft. of timber down.     Gota Go Later
        THANKS FOR THE PRAYERS
      Volume Discount At ER

Fla._Deadheader

WOW. Glad to hear your OK.
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Jeepers Dail!  Sorry to hear you got so much damage, but glad your family is ok.
Prayers are continuing; let us know if we can do anything to help out.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bibbyman

Barbara Gill sent me a link to her web site where they have posted pictures of the destruction of Isabel.

I don't think she'd mind if I posted the link here.

Barbara's Pictures

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!