iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggestions on a new mill

Started by Pounce2181, October 10, 2009, 11:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pounce2181

I am thinking of getting a mill. I have run a wood-mizer lt-30 I think it was, a few years back that my friend used to own.  I am wanting to get opinions about diff brands and a good entry type level mill. Been looking at timber kings, and a few norwoods.

fishpharmer

DonK has a nice LT15 in the for sale section.

I am real new at all this myself. I think it depends on what you want to do with the mill.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ladylake

I'd buy a used one , low hours with as much hp and hydraulics as you can get.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Magicman

Quote from: ladylake on October 11, 2009, 05:36:15 AM
I'd buy a used one , low hours with as much hp and hydraulics as you can get.    Steve

That's good advice.  It all depends upon what you plan to do with the mill.  Cut for yourself, others, stationary, portable, part time, full time, etc.  Everyone's answers are different, but you need to weigh your options carefully.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

i owned a timberking for three years, best day was when i sold it ... cost me alot of money on repairs.. go w.m.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ladylake

Quote from: red oaks lumber on October 11, 2009, 03:47:51 PM
i owned a timberking for three years, best day was when i sold it ... cost me alot of money on repairs.. go w.m.

No need to bash TK or any other mill on  here, I've owned a B20 Tk for 7 years with very few repairs and closing in on 2 million bf sawed.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kansas

Whatever mill you buy, one thing to remember is that the more sophisticated the mill, the more you will work on it, and the more money you will spend on parts. If your going to be going into the business, that's a tradeoff you have to accept to get enough production. If your just going to be cutting occasionally for yourself, smaller logs, you don't have to get that fancy. Hydraulics are nice, but hoses break, switches fail, etc. Same with computerized setworks, and so on.

red oaks lumber

excuse me ladylake.. i don't see how stating ones personal experince is seen as bashing, im not going to lie about it and say everything is wonderful. if it's not .happy you have had goodluck with yours
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

ronwood

A mill will only be as good as you take care of and keep sharp blades.

I chose WM over a couple of other mills because it was light enough to pull with my 1/2 ton pickup and still have hydraulics to make the log handling easier. Customer service is very  good as well as many of the other manufacturers.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

pineywoods

A lot depends on how you intend to use the mill and what you are capable of doing or would consider doing yourself. If this would be your first mill, and would be used for personal sawing, I'd say look at used bandmills. My experience has been mostly woodmizers. I bought a used manual LT40-it has served me well. When I got to the point where I really needed more, I replaced the tired old motor and added hydraulics and remote control, fairly easy to do on an lt40. Keep in mind that doing that sort of upgrades isn't very practical on most entry level machines. If you can afford (note I didn't say justify) a top of the line mill with all the bells and whistles, then try to get as much hands on observation as possible with various mills before you take the plunge. A day spent with a working sawyer can save you from lots of grief later on.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ladylake

Right, any machine can work good or bad depending on the operator. I know people that abuse machines and can't figure out why they break all the time. With half way decent maintance and a little care most machines will last a long time.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!