iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood Log Moulder & Knives 6 x 8 D Log ~ Worth Having or Take Logs to Mill

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 10, 2009, 12:23:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I'm looking on sawing enought white pine to build Log Home of 28 x 34

I have been looking for a mill and have all the feed back  I need to make the right choice.

I see that Norwood is one of the Advertisers on the Forestry Forum and I trust it Ok to speal frankly about any product on the market ?

Here's the question. I see that the Log Molder 9 HP Gas, # 8000-000-0555  Sells for $ 3999.00; the Knive set: D Log is $ 1,155.00.

Totals: $ 5,154.00 and your're in business to face logs.... No other costs or equipment required, is that right ?

The Mill attachment will use the same track set as the -- LumberMate 2000 or LumberLite 24 ?

Yes, I did look at the Norwood web site and ran the Milling Demo a couple times,  Not everything was clear cut.

How are the knives sharpened, with an optional grinder, send them out ?

What's the Guess regarding knife sharpening per run of logs through the mill, say 50 (18 foot) logs.. cut on both sides, then touch up the blades, or what can you expect.. less or more  ?

I realize that the one will know when the blades need sharpening by the cutting results ...dull & just not cutting clean.

Does the Mill attachment fit only one track .. Norwood ?

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

Ron Wenrich

Look at how much you're talking about doing.  You want to make a 28 x 34 building, which means you have 124 running feet of wall.  That doesn't discount your windows or doors.  I think the average wall has 13 courses of logs, so you're now talking 1612 running feet. 

At $5154, you're looking at $3.20 per running foot just to get a D face.  I know that you will use more logs in the eaves, but some people have used a 2x8 with a D face on that.

For that price, you can get someone to put the D on, and tongue and grove the sides.  There's one in Mifflintown, another in Locust Grove, and one in Lewisburg. 

It just seems a little expensive for personal use.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

H60 Hawk Pilot

The One Building was the Start, more buildings to follow i.e. small cabin's for rental during summer by Raystown Lake..

**  The Real Question .... is the  this 410 Mouder a decent machine or believed to be Ok or Not ?

Will it process a lot logs and hold up, and not turn into junk. Will the speed of the 410 be (do not req. commerical speed)  very slow with the
small 9 hp gas engine  ?

Note:  I was coupling the (2) machines together, Norwood 2000 LumberMate and Log Moulder 410 Series as package deal. The track usage of the 410 Moulder go hand & hand together with the 2000 LM (above).

Bottom line, I Did Not want to buy a toy moulder, note...the 410 will do other style moulding (Swedish Cope, 6 + 8 inch).

I forgot to mention, I have a planer already, 12 X 24 material, one side, I have a 16 HP gas engine on this planer.

Avery 

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

James P.

Avery , maybe you could find someone that has one of the molders thru Norwood. Check the machine out for yourself. I like the idea of molding your own logs for a log home.
         Ron has a good point about price but you know how much you plan on using it. I have noticed the folks in the forum tend to be frequent if not constant users of their mills and equipment. On the other hand there are hundreds if not thousands who have bought mills with good intentions of getting into business or doing personal projects and never do. I hope I won't be included in that group , but time will tell.
         You are asking a lot of good questions. Its all a big investment of time and money. IMO bite off enough that you can chew. Then swallow and go from there.
         I once bought 3 new machines from Powermatic back when they didn't sell imports to get free shipping. I over paid for all and could have bought used for 1/2 the price. I had the money ,the fever and no patience. Good luck
James P.

H60 Hawk Pilot

I have some time left before I buy.  I'd like to have the Sawmill (w/ Moulder ?) bought before the weather turns real cold; I have loads of patience & looking for a super deal.

I like the idea of having a complete operation with bandsaw & D-log planer. Money is factor (compared to sublet D-logs) but not un-reasonable $$$ for all the timber I'd process over time. I don't plan on changing my mind and have spent a tity sum already on added support equipment.

I 'll still asking ... Anyone to Comment on the Actual Usage of the Norwood 410 sereis Moulder.  I am wondering if it has the muscle to do the job.  I' don't want a something that jump's around and moves at a snail's pace; don't want to be the fool that own's (410 moulder) one and curse the day I bought it.

Avery

pasbuild

Avery I would suggest you visit the Norwood sites chat forum's and ask them over there, as a group they would be more intune with Norwood's products.
http://forum.norwoodindustries.com/board/index.php
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

H60 Hawk Pilot

Note:

I went to the Norwood Web Site & Got Some Good Info. .

I have just learned.... Norwood Moulder is New and just being sold in Aug. or Sep. .

I viewed another video and looks good, carriage is adjustable to 33 to 39 inch wide tracks.

So, you do not have to buy a Norwood band mill to use this 410, adjusts to other mill.

Avery

DanG

I'm pretty much lost in this discussion of machine and its purpose, but there is a mitigating factor that nobody has mentioned yet.  Once purchased and used for the job at hand, the machine will still have value.  If it is a good machine and you pay 5 grand for it, and do 5 grand worth of work with it, it is still probably worth 4 grand and you will have made a $4000 profit with it.

I'm not saying you should or should not buy it, but just that you should look at that factor too. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

nas

The moulder is made by Logosol in Sweden.  My cousin has a Logosol PH260 4 head moulding machine and is very happy with it.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

James P.

Avery , IMO at least after watching the video,Which didn't seem to shed alot of light. its a  planer where the cutter head moves up and down and bed is stationary. bed being the bottom of the log or rest. there is no feed rolls so its a portable planer on steroids.Its a shame you don't have time cause it seems a simple build. You have 3 welders and a machine shop.I know woodmaster  I think is the name has a planer / moulder and the moulding cutter is installed in 1 of the planer heads slots and the others have weighted gibs to balance. You basically only make 1 knife profile .I personally think that woodmaster  is cheaply built, I like the machine just seems like not much for the money. But thats just my opinion. I buy used boots.  I am a terrible retail consumer.If you get it and it gets the job done and saves you $ then it was worth it . James P.

Thank You Sponsors!