iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 028 throttle trigger repair

Started by Jim Spencer, October 08, 2009, 11:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Spencer

How do I remove the cover from the top of the handle.
I broke the throttle trigger and got the top cover on the handle loosened from the saw on the saw end but cannot get the cover loose at the fartherest distance from the saw.
Does anyone know how to remove this cover?  I do not want to break it if possible but must remove it to replace the throttle trigger.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim

joe_indi

Jim,
There is a small screw in a recess at the lower end of the cover.
You will need to remove this screw before you do anything else.
Once the screw is removed, the lower end of the cover is lifted up first because the end near the carb is like a hook that is comes off only with the lower end lifted up.
The throttle trigger is fitted on a small drift pin which has to be knocked out.
Once the new throttle lever is fitted, and if you dont care too much  trying to catch flying objects, move the control switch to choke with the throttle lever depressed.
This should hold both the  the spring loaded triggers depressed and in place while you  try to get that cover back in place as daintily as stepping over a dozing lion.
Watch out for flying objects at this time.
Once you get the cover back in place you can let go that breathe you've been holding so long.
You now need to  get that screw back in, that is all .
Joe 

Jim Spencer

Joe,
Acha!
I thank you so much.
You are certainly an asset to this forum.
We are getting unbelievable amounts of (Panni)? in Washington Michigan this fall.
One of the few words I remember from Calcutta.
I was so happy this morning when I found that Obama had been awarded the Nobel Peace prize.    He does not yet rank anywhere close to Ghandi but I believe he has potential.
What town are you in?
Jim Spencer

Jim Spencer

Joe,
Thanks again for the help.   I feel like a fool for not seeing that screw you told me about.  It could not have more obvious but maybe my 74 years are catching up to me.  And I am a retired engineer.  Thanks Joe.
Jim

joe_indi

Quote from: Jim Spencer on October 09, 2009, 12:51:04 PM

What town are you in?
Jim Spencer
Jim,
I am only glad that what I post is of help to the members of the forum.
I am in the town of Cochin, in the state of  Kerala, which is way down south of the Indian sub continent.
I had replied ages ago to your email, maybe you never got it.

Joe

Jim Spencer

I see you are very close to the Arabian sea.  Lots of ocean in your area.
I am in Michigan surounded by the Great lakes.  Very near the southern tip of Lake Huron. I am in Romeo.  We grow lots of soybeans and apples, peaches, vegetables.
This area is a virtual paradise for agriculture.  The state of Michigan I live in had more manufacturing back in the 1950's and 1960's than all of europe.  Now most of the manufacturing has moved to China, Taiwan, India, Vietnam and lower cost countries.  This has helped lift/bring many people of the world out of poverty but it sure has hurt our area.  If there is any thing I may be able to help you with just let me know.  The movie "Slum Dog Millionaire"  brought back many memories of when I was in India back in 1968.  Most Americans would find it hard to believe how true to life that movie was.
Jim

joe_indi

Jim,
We have the Arabian sea on the west and a mountain range known as the Western Ghats on the east.
The land is bisected by fresh water and salt water lakes and quite a number of rivers that flow into the Arabian sea.
This place is known as 'God's own country' on the international tourist map.

Michigan, Lake Huron and the Great Lakes, hmmm.
That is poetry to my ears, which brings one of my favorite songs to my mind. Its the 'The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald' by Gordon Lightfoot.

Even most Indians dont understand the realities of the movie "Slum Dog Millionaire", unless they have actually lived in an Indian metropolis .

Joe

Thank You Sponsors!