iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Topped 100,000 bf

Started by Chuck White, October 08, 2009, 09:58:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Got my name in the new Woodmizer Way magazine.  ;D

I got a cirtificate and a nice jacket from Woodmizer!  8)

Topped 100,000 board feet of lumber sawed on my Woodmizer!  :)

I guess I'll keep on trucking towards the 1,000,000 board feet!  ;)

Thanks Woodmizer
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sgschwend

Since you are keeping track, did you track expenses too?  Blades, insurance, fuel, parts, labor, tools, other?

Congrats !!!!   :)
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Congratulations on joining the "100K CLUB".  Feels good doesn't it?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Quote from: sgschwend on October 08, 2009, 12:48:58 PM
Since you are keeping track, did you track expenses too?  Blades, insurance, fuel, parts, labor, tools, other?
Congrats !!!!   :)

Nope!  I didn't keep track of everything.  I do know that I went through 14 blades!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tyb525

14???? That seems really low!

Edit: You must mean 14 after resharpening multiple times.

Congratulations! 8)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Chuck White

Quote from: tyb525 on October 08, 2009, 07:49:18 PM
14???? That seems really low!

Edit: You must mean 14 after resharpening multiple times. Congratulations! 8)

Yes, definately after many resharps.
That was 14  blades that had either cracked or broken by the end of the season!

ljmathias

Man, that's incredible!  That's over 7000 bdft per blade which (based on my usage) means you sharpened each over 10 times?  Congratulations, not just on the 100,000 mark but on your frugality- great example for us not-so-frugal people.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

ladylake

How many unbroken one do you have left?    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Chuck White

Quote from: ladylake on October 09, 2009, 08:03:00 AM
How many unbroken one do you have left?    Steve  

Out of that box, none!  That was from April to November, last year and April-May this year!

I set my sharpener so that the teeth just barely touch the stone (rock) and the stone goes all the way down and lightly cleans the gullet!

raycon

14 bands. That is incredible. Clean logs. I've taken two bands out on one log way to many times.

Congratulations.
Lot of stuff..

backwoods sawyer

100,000 bft is a small number that should be reached by first brake to the big mills around here that put out 400,000-600,000 bft per shift.
However when you take into account the small investment in these little portable mills, the quality of logs that we mill, ect, ect. Then 100,000 bft turns into a good sized number.
Wear your jacket with pride, you earned it.
And a big thanks to Woodmizer for having the 100,000 bft and 1,000,000 bft clubs. 8)
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Brucer

Congratulations!

I got mine 3 years ago. I wear it when the weather's suitable, and so far it's put me in touch with several new customers and also uncovered another couple of sawyers nearby ;D.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

I wear my jacket and also those 25th Anniversary T-shirts (I bought several) anytime I can.  Ball games, restaurant, shopping, etc.  It's surprising how much interest and how many jobs they generate.  That's all of the advertising that I do...... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ellmoe

I've got my jacket for the 100,000bf club and wear it to work in whenever it gets cold enough here. Now I have a shiny new 1,000,000 bf club jacket. It will be my "Sunday go to meeting coat. ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chuck White

Congrats to you ellmoe!  8)

That's a lot of boards!

sdunston

Congrats Chuck,I have had my LT28 going on 3 weeks now,With it getting dark so early and trying to cut some firewood on the weekends I still manage to saw about 300ft a week. I think this is going to take awhile to get to 100,000bf but if the first 1000 is any indecation the rest is going to be a blast ???I am so glad I made the choice to get a mill, for now its just part time. My question is,Do you still have the same drive as when you first got your mill or has it turned into work? This could be a new topic (do you own a mill or does the mill own you). Again, good job on the blade to BF ratio.
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

ellmoe

And to you too Chuck. Persistance and time (ie Getting old) will get you there too.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Tom

Congratulations on the 100,000 board feet.  That is quite an effort, though it sneaks up on you, but gives you an indication of what effort is in the future.   

A million board feet is tough when you have to do it a board at a time.  It seems to stay just out of reach and, no matter how fast you saw, you think you will never get there.  It's not only a measure of perserverance, it's dependent upon the kind of business you developed, the availability of logs and customer allegiance.  When you reach a million board feet, it's difficult to believe that you actually did it.  Sawing from that point on is almost anticlimatic.  Wood Mizer's Million Board Foot Club is definitely a milestone that a custom sawyer should wear with pride.

Magicman

Quote from: Tom on October 11, 2009, 10:20:32 AM
Wood Mizer's Million Board Foot Club is definitely a milestone that a custom sawyer should wear with pride.

Looks like I'm about 2 years away from that Million......But I'm working on it..... 8)

Brucer

I'm aiming for 1,000,000 too. Let's see -- it took me 4 years to reach 1/4 million, so I'm looking at 2021 before I make my goal. That means I'll only be 72. Alright! Not a problem!  ;D ;D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!