iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick O, 20 Ft. Carr., 371 GM, 52 in. Simonds, Turner, Log Cleaner, 6 Hd. Blk.

Started by H60 Hawk Pilot, October 07, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

H60 Hawk Pilot

I ran in to this Frick SawMill today... Open for Comment:

Frick O

20 Ft. carriage, opens to 36 inches, 6 head blocks, log cleaner, 371 GM power, 52 in. Simonds saw,
hdy. turner, lumber rollers (not live), 2nd spare head saw, jocke grinder, extra teeth, etc. ~ $ 6,200.00

Note: Under cover, nice looking mill, owner passed way, he made his living with this mill. This Mill makes one think.. about the owner's  life & sawyer story.

Edger, (most likely a Frick) 3 phase power, (2) extra motors, extra blades, teeth, set up with two blades installed.~ $2,000.00.  I do not have 3 phase power and won't get it (big bucks), so repower is required.

$ 8,000.00 will buy it all.

Goes back to someone's comment in my other post .... lots of Circle Mills around at bargin basement prices. This might be a fair choice for big timber and decent output for a small operation.

I found another Frick O mill in WV, only $3,500, not as modern, 6 cyl. gas engine, nothing else, good shape overall.

I was checking the Norwood 2000 out and had written it off as a choice, too basic. However, I looked at the Log Planner system for making D-logs and that got my attention. The planner rides the same set of tracks and looks like a Ok system. 

Avery

Avery

Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

James P.

Hi H60 , I personally wanted a circular mill. I love old iron and ran a circular mill for a short time. Before I built mine.They can be made portable but most are stationary with larger power units like the detroit. I think if you choose to go circular you will find alot of choices. There is a lot out there since they aren't as popular and require a little more work to run and maintain. If I had 8,000 to spend I would take my time and find the best one I could get. Its a buyers market. Plus your son might find it a little more interesting than a small bandmill. That is just my opinion. Good luck. P.S. to all bandmill owners . If his son likes sawing, one day when he grows up  , he will move up to a bandmill. happy Now ;D

Chico

I think it's a decent deal esp with the longer carriage and extra HBs gives you a lot more options for longer lbr and timbers and that hyd turner will make you feel a lot better at the end of the day  and will add a lot of prod over fighting a cant hook  I might offer a little less and see  if I could bargain some but if it's ready to run all you have to do is move it I'd try and make a deal you can always addd a small band saw for a resaw later on if you decide to run it for a living jmo
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Wenrich

I've done 42" logs without a top saw.  I haven't done too many really big logs, since most of them are gone.  The only big ones are yard trees, for the most part.

The Frick mill will cut all the trees you are talking about, and do it quicker.  I used to do a trailerload of logs a day on a handmill.  And that was without a turner.  That sounds about ballpark for a mill of that vintage.  You can probably get the price down.  Is there something for sawdust removal?  Drag chain or blower?

The edger can either be run from the power unit, or you can put a phase converter on.  How many hp is the edger motor? 

I have cut some 3 sided logs for cabin stock.  You just leave the one side natural.  It doesn't have the machined look.  But, on bigger logs, you won't be able to box the heart.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ellmoe

If you are planning to have your young son help, you might want to consider the safety factor. I think few would disagree with the statement that the portable bandmill is alot safer than a circular mill. I looked at one Frick mill many years ago that was for sale. Momma told Pop to "sell that thing" after her "baby boy" (18) received an inovertant (maybe he was a trend setter?) piercing in his cheek from a tooth that flew off the saw. With the government intrusion in our everyday lives now, you might be even violating some law if he "works" at the mill. Also, having had both types of saws, I find the circle mill alot more particular at set-up and maintenance. However, the circle mill is the production champ and the initial costs (used) are substantially less.

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

bandmiller2

Avery,if you have the room go for it but I would play chicken and get the price down a little.A 52" wheel will handle anything you ought to be messing with.A complete mill with all the fixens is a good deal, extra blades and the jockey are worth alot.The old Frick will outwork and outlast several bandmills.If you do buy it be sure to take many close up pictures and foundation measurements, that will greatly aid you at setup.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Meadows Miller

Gday Avery

36" dia Easy once you have your eye in and you could go upto abot 26to28' long if it has enough track ;)

If you have at least two of you's there to run it when your sawing and you have all the support gear you could ever need going from one of your other posts  ;) ;D 8) ive only got three words to say  ;) Get It Mate !!!
Itll pay for itself after a good months worth of weekend sawing ;) ;D 8) 8)

It sounds like a good buy esp as its been running and has all the gear to get it running sweet including the hyd turner  which will save your back  ;) so its not like your trying to reserect it from a pile of parts  ;)

James p I must have been doing things butt about all these Years  Mate  :o :) ::) ???  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Ive been trying to Upgrade to a Big Circ Mill Me whole Life   ;) :D :D :D Ive had the Csms , Manual Band then the Tabletop and now the Lucas  ;) ;D 8) 8) Im not sure which ones coming next either a Hyd Band or The Meadows  ;) All good mills but you cand beat the bandmills if your going to work on your own sometimes or most of the time  like i do  ;)  ;D Then on the flipside you cant beat a fixed manual carrage in full swing for production with a good crew for the money  ;)

Avery can you get some pics of the S/h mills your looking at Mate  ??? ;) ;D 8) It'll help us make up your mind for you Mate  ;) :D ;D 8) 8)

I wish i could pickup everything needed to get my meadows running for $6to8k my fullon build list is running at around the $60 to 80 k mak for all new stuff for the mill proper but thats not including chipper loader ect ect ect But like Dads said itll be one Nice mill if i go allout ;)  ;D 8)  been cheap i could get it running for around $10/15k plus the motor  ;)

Regards Chris

4TH Generation Timbergetter

Jeff

I would also want to stress the safety factor with the circle saw. If you are not well versed in the ways around the mill, your chances of getting injured around the circle saw will be dramatically increased. No place for the typical juvenile in my long experienced opinion, although I am sure there are the exception.

QuoteIf his son likes sawing, one day when he grows up  , he will move up to a bandmill.

Some of us consider that a DE-motion. ;)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

H60 Hawk Pilot

The safety factor deal is the Big Factor Here and I sort of Let it Slide.

I forgot to mention that my father was sawyer for many years and he started out on the family (steam powered) mill in the 30's.

I bought a Frick on a trailer in 2002, it had about everything. Mill came with... live off bear roller sys., saw dust blower, log deck, circle index wheel, C type hdy. turner, GM 4-71, all the support stuff, 2nd HS.. (neither of the two head saws were that great, old) all for $ 4,500.00.

The next day I told my dad about buying the mill. He sawed for over 20 years for the PA State Correctional Prision. He sawed for all those years and got into some metal once n' awhile. He said it was wild when it happened (teeth flying) just like bullets. He had good power on the mill and make me undestand that bad things can & will happen. Before I used the Mill... a guy came along .... offered me $ 4,500.00 and I sold it.

The timber I have is all mine and I can check out the logs with a metal detector. I thought about buying thick plex-glass and using this for a blast shield. Going full circle....I bought the (above) mill because I needed it and still need one. However, One injury, even a minor one to my son or anyone helping me would be  "knock down sorrow and unbearable !"

The No# 1 reason I want the circle mill is ... Production and larger logs. I forgot to mention ... I like the action and it's semi exciting for a Hawk pilot to operate circle mill.  The band mills are fine but will kill about $ 28 K to have something that will process lumber nose to nose with the old manual circle mill. Also, the blade maintenance is a pain on the band mill.  I do remember filing the teeth on the cirlce mill at lunch time, just a touch up. I hear the band blades are changed out around 4 hours later too.

Still looking, still have the fever, not quite as bad as last week.

Avery
Case 1150B & IHC TD-340 Dozer's, IHC 4WD 3800 & CAT 436B Hoe's, Franklin 170, Semi's: (1) Freightliner, (2) KW's, Marmon, Mack w/ Prentice Ldr., F-700 Crane Trk., (6) Mid Size Trk's. - Dumps, Flats, 1 Ton w/ 40 ft. 5th Whl. & (4) Semi Tlr's., LM 2000 Mill, (2) XL 12's., Solo 681, EFCO 152, Old Iron.

DanG

There's just something about big ol' things that go round and round, ain't there? ;D 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

H60 Hawk Pilot

DanG

Rodger That !

I say... Like the Wind in Your Face for Harley Rider.

for a Rotor Head... I like the Wirling Sound, the Feeling of Power & add some... Danger Factor.. can't screw up, no brain f_ _rt's {circle mill appeal to rotor heads).

I'm not getting too much feed back from the band mill.... ZZZZZ time but safe, can't beat the safe factor.

Maybe I could record the sounds of a big circle mill & wear head set & get a limited (high) effect ?

Avery   

DanG

It has been almost 40 years since I flew, but I can still feel it. ;)

I'll pose this as a question to those who know, 'cause I ain't one:  Isn't it true that any debris will generally fly inline with the blade when things get to that point on a circle mill?  Since there is generally no reason for anyone to be in that direct line, couldn't you erect some sort of a barrier to protect passersby?

beenthere

Go to most circle mills, and look at the shed wall straight downline from the headsaw.  You can tell from that wall where the debris is flying. Look at the ceiling too.  :)

Bothers me to go to these steam and gas shows, to see people walking and watching the saw cut logs. Straight-away from the saw blade.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Yeah, those shows can be scary with so many unaware people everywhere.  Last year at Moultrie I was at the Lucas booth watching Peter Foster saw, when his offbearer fumbled a board and it fell into the saw.  The saw cut a chunk out of the board and it hit me in the foot.  Fortunately I was wearing some good boots and it didn't even hurt, but if it hit some lady's bare ankle she would have been injured.

I've not been around conventional circs very much, but it seems like the operators are in fairly safe zones most of the time.

Hey Hawk!  Some H60s came right over my place twice yesterday.  There was a flight of 2, then a flight of 3 going from Rucker to Tallahassee, then returning.  We get quite a lot of that here, and it keeps the ol' blood circulating!  I gotta say though, we woulda been washed out of Flight School for flying sloppy formations like that.  I've been watching them for years and it seems like they get paranoider and paranoider about formation flying all the time.  Is the ol' 3 rotor rule completely out the window?

We also get a lot of Navy t-28(?) traffic along that same route, but they never return.  I'm thinking that they use Cairns and TLH for some 3-legged cross-country training out of Pensacola NAS. :) :)

Jeff

Flying debris is only a small part of the safety hazards around a circle mill. There are dozens. The worst thing I have heard here, was this sentence.
"add some... Danger Factor.. can't screw up, no brain f_ _rt's"

The thrill of it will kill or maim you or your helpers.  There is no room for thrill in the dangers to a circle sawyer. NONE. Only an all consuming sense of caution and responsibility to yourself and more importantly to others has room at the stick.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bandmiller2

Their are risks with any mill but with guards and common sense they are managable.You hear the horror stories but don't think of the millions of board feet that have gone through the saw.Many needless accidents are tripping and falling into the saw or reaching to dislodge a slab.You line up then step back when you make the cut.Flack shields are a good idea,as are guards between you and the blade.Be sure the log is stable before you enter the cut not teetering on a knot.Some folks get hurt using a butter knife.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

beenthere

Add an off-bearer who pulled an 8' oak 4x4 off the carriage onto the back side of the head saw, and see it picked up over the saw and thrown like a javelin, out past the sawyer  and the log deck hand, then through a couple apple trees about 20 yards away.  It was a very sobering experience and fortunately no one was hurt. The off-bearer had several years of circle sawmill experience and thought he knew how to do things 'fast' (I think he was showing off a bit).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

James P.

everyone has good points and I have never even thought of the safety factor between the mills. I didn't mean to imply these are actually toys for kids ,but it is exciting and at the same time something you take seriously while using it. don't get complacent and always have it in your head if your around the blade that a slip can be fatal, so no taking chances. I take it serious beside for safety cause I don't want to damage anything including me. I have heard teeth fly out and evidence was holes in the tin roof . Only time I am near the blade is adjusting guides . Worst injury I have had was a board shooting out of a gangsaw. hit me right in the hand. Ouch or $%&# .Safety first! I wear steel toes almost 24 7 sometimes I'm not so tired and take them off. Don't know if its just me but every time I have something hit me in the foot I am glad I am not wearing sneakers.

Ron Wenrich

I never had any problems with any of the hand mills.  You have a tendency to be a lot more careful when you're that close to a moving saw.  But, you really have to be aware of your log, and what's going on on the other end.  You don't want anything to hit the saw, especially the top of the saw.  Like any piece of equipment, you have to respect its power, and not do anything stupid.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bruce_A

Have your son stay back.  Buy that mill if you can afford it and need it.  You are losing money just shooting the breeze.  It is not a toy, but will bring you and yours much pleasure.  You probably won't teach your son to drive on the highway in a go cart, so teach him the saftey issues with a mill that is what you really want.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Jeff some of us Do dont we Mate  ;)  :D ;D ;D but i think anyone will agree that all mills have there place in the scheme of things too  ;)

The Forest Industry as a whole along with all other workplaces have an Inherant risk of injury  involved and when those situations arise when people get hurt it is usually due to Complasency or Getting in a rush about things   ;) An old sawyer told me many times that Familularity breeds Contempt which is too true  ;)

To anyone looking at a Circular carriage type mill the Danger only increases when the She'll Be Rite Attitude is the main direction taken with the build and operation of Any Sawmill Equipment  Band or Circ ;)

Guard all Belts properly, put on a good Riving knife to 1" below the top of the saw about 1/16th wider than the gauge of the saw  , on the outfeed weld on a a tip plate (a peice pf atleast 75% the full length of the cut on the mill on a 45 to 55 deg angle down to the outfeed rollers this will keep timber from catching on the back of the saw and will make life alot easer on your tailerout as they dont need to manualy tip boards off the sawing plane and away from the saw  they just need to roll them along the rollers ;)  lastly as some have already said a good flack screen will keep the sawyer safe  ;)

If you look after those things and make them aware of the issues involved in mill operations you should have no dramas letting a young bloke work the mill with you if hes a switched on to the job at hand  ;) ;D 8)

And for the ones sawing for their own use you have a big issue you dont have to deal with Production you dont have to Thump Along at a great rate of knots to put food on the table and alitte coin in your pocket  ;) ;D as I say Just Have Fun and Get The Job Done  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Frickman

I have been around Frick and other circle mills all my life as have most of my kinfolk the past hundred plus years. We've never had a problem with them and never had an injury around them and we've collectively sawn millions of board feet in that time. Just like Ron said, you have to respect the equipment.

When I built my current mill I nailed boards onto the roof trusses above the headsaw. They are 40" wide by 16' long and they have had a few thrown bits stuck in them. It amazes me how visitors always want to look right in line with the saw as you're running it, even folks who have alot of experience with equipment. I just point out the bits embedded in the ceiling and they stay way back then.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Chico

Frickman you beat me to I too ahve been around big mills my whole life I'm a fourth gen lumberman and the only way a mill will hurt you is if you let it if you get brave and start doing stupid things then she's gonna bite you If you 'll take your son and treat the mill like a gun and teach him the proper way to do things you'll be good to go most of the time bits go up or down  or bac to the sawyer a 1/2 '' plexiglass sheild should stop them but let it swing don't rigid mount it I've sawn for over 40 yurs and the only saw I've ever had hurt me was a band mill I hit a ring dog the saw broke I got a scar over my left eye and three more across my chest  but that was once out of thousands over the years Sometime sh't just happens esp in hi prod situations which you won't be and  Like Bandmiller says their all dangerous but only as dangerous as you make them
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Frickman

I just remembered one of the scariest moments I have had sawing. One time the nut came loose on the saw. It didn't come off all the way, just loose. I don't know why. Anyway, after I gigged the carriage back after a cut the saw started dancing and wobbling all over the place. My offbearer saw what was going on and threw the clutch out of gear right away and got way back. As the saw coasted to a stop the wobble got worse. Now I still didn't know what happened. We checked the nut and it was far from being even hand tight. It was only then did we realize how close we came to having a major accident.

We tightened the nut back up and after checking over everything else were back to sawing within an hour. I still don't know what happened, and it's never happened again.

Alot of folks somehow think that saw is going to jump up and bite them. I've been around them so long that I've seen that unless some freak accident happens, like the one above almost did, that saw isn't going anywhere. You have to go to it to get cut. Of course, there is always the possibilty of wood and metal shrapnel coming off it. Most of that travels within a foot or two of the sawline so if you stand back a little most of it will miss you.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!