iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time for a new saw 357xp or ms361

Started by Hilltop366, October 07, 2009, 01:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

My Dolmar 115 is 20 years old (Used part time) and still runs strong but is getting less reliable so I am thinking I should get another saw for my main saw.
There is not a Dolmar dealer that stocks parts very close (I was the dealer when I got this saw) but there is a Husky dealer is less than one mile away from me and a Stihl about 2.5 miles so I'm thinking that those are my best options if one of the saws are worth owning.

I am looking for some current advice on what saw would be the most reliable the dealers are both good people and a few $ cheaper won't sway my mind one way or the other more than quality. Looking for a saw around 55-60 cc may also go for heated handles since I do most of my cutting in the winter.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out.

Rocky_J

I run mostly Huskys and prefer them for midsize to large saws. But if I were to buy any midsize Stihl it would be the 361. I think both of those saws are good choices and you probably can't go wrong with either, but I have little experience with that specific size. I have always run the 50cc as my smaller ground saw and the 70+cc as my medium size saw. I'd suggest seeing if you could test run each model for a few cuts and pick the one that feels best to you.

Warbird

If it were me, the 361.  No contest.

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Night Raider

I had the same question, I got a 361, I love it.  I haven't used a 357XP so I can't compare too much.  I liked the Stihl dealer better and the 361 was over $100 cheaper, it's a great saw, if it had a 19" bar it would be perfect.

chucker

for me it "wood" be a jonsered 2159 at 59cc,s with an 18" bar hands down.. hard to beat!!!
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

celliott

I would personally go for the 357, but I honestly think this comes down to personal preference again, stihl VS husky, ford VS chevy, none are really better, its just brand loyalty and personal preference, especially if you have both dealers close by.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

ladylake

Being unbiased, don't own either I'd go with the 361 or the new 362.  Seems like I hear of more problems with the Huskys.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RSteiner

I have looked at the 357xp recently having owned a 257 for 12 years and thinking it might be time to give the saw a rest.  I tend to grab the 257 instead of my 272 because it is not as heavy and it cuts quick. 

The best price I could find for a new 357xp with a 16" bar was $625.00, three weeks ago.  A little over a year ago I bought the Dolmar 5100S which is about the same size as the Husky 357.  That saw with a 16" 3/8" pitch guide bar cost me $395.00.  The Dolmar performs very well and I don't really need another saw right now but the 357xp looks good.

Randy
Randy

WDH

With their new Big Box Store strategy, it seems that husky is less committed to service.  There are much fewer dealers around here anymore.

I bought the MS 361 last year because of excellent Stihl service.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

wi woodcutter

Go with the 361 it is a great saw, very smooth and dependable. You will have less problems with it and Sithl seems to have better dealer service.
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

SawTroll

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 07, 2009, 01:58:59 PM
....  Looking for a saw around 55-60 cc may also go for heated handles since I do most of my cutting in the winter.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps out.

If you get a 361 Arctic, it probably will be German made, and not VB made, as a bonus!    :) ;D
Information collector.

isawlogs

I did not know that the Arctic versun was made in Germany , I will look at mine over the weekend .  :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Hilltop366

Well the 361 seems to be winning according to your opinions, I'm thinking if I am going to ask for opinions I should listen to the advice. (unless of coarse I asked the Stihl fan club) But I don't think this is the case.

Thanks again for your help and if there is more don't be shy.

One of the problems is neither dealer has a saw that I was looking for in stock the husky dealer says no prob ordering one in and would give me a price some where between promo price and cost, the Stihl dealer says he will be getting some soon, I'l stop by and check today.

O ya what does VB stand for ?

Rocky_J

I know a couple people who own the 361 and they are both very happy with it. The only complaint I've heard about the saw is the stingy oiler. The good news is that the 460 oiler is a direct swap and should provide higher flow for less bar/chain wear.

Hilltop366

I stopped at the Stihl dealer (was a local owned rental/retail but got bought out by a chain a year or two ago) they did't have any 361's yet and only had a few consumer saws there, the display was lacking a lot of stuff , they used to have a good slection but it seems to be going down hill.
Quoted me list price on on the 361 artic  $830.00  plus tax.

So I will try another dealer to get another price.

Just got off the phone with a friend who is a stihl dealer about a 1/2 hr or so drive from me, he had some ms 361s in stock (says it is his best seller) and said if you want the heated handles I'll get you one for less than the special on the regular 361($730.00) which includes the saw box second chain and hat and if you get the six pack of mix oil it will double the warranty so I'll give you one of those too!

So I said did you order it yet, what are you waiting for?

P.S.
I was afraid to ask what the deal was on one with out the heated handles because I really wanted the heat an figured I'm so cheap I would change my mind.

SawTroll

Generally, the heating cost much more on Stihls than on Huskys - 3 times as much over here - but you also get a metal handlebar on the 361W and VW (Arctic).  ::)
Information collector.

peterc38

361 is a great saw, you are gonna be happy with it.
Kubota L4060 Cab
562XP
371XP
346XP
Fiskars "Super Splitter"
Logrite 60" Peavey
Huskee 22 ton splitter
2 Great Danes

Warbird

Let us know what your impressions are when you get it.  About a year ago, I thought I would be able to upgrade my saw and I did a bunch of research.  The 361 is the saw I'd settled on but then stuff happened and I couldn't upgrade.

Pounce2181

I would check out the ms362. I have been lol. My brother n law was over this evening with his new ms362 and that thing throws down. I had around 2 tanks of fuel to his 1 and he clearly had alot more umph than my 602vl has,but thats not saying much just an old saw I like lol. And from what I could muster out of it while I was using it was that it had a pretty torquey across the board as far as rpms. I don't know what it turns (rpm's) but it seemed to scream.

Just something to take a gander at.

Cut4fun

The MS362 does seem impressive from my readings and talking to one guy in the back ground that owns one. But it cost $659 - $689, no way no how! It is closing in on the weight and PRICE of the 372. But in my book the weight  is no biggie.

Now back when the Husky 357xp was $499 and the Stihl 361 was $589 I bought the husky 357 and shortly after bought a like new 361 used for $300.

You would really have to run them both because there was dislikes on both of them.
You would have to see which one you are more comfortable with running IMHO. Plus with the Husky being more then the 361 now days is Huskys shot in the foot. 

John Mc

I see from Cut4Fun's post that the 362 seems to be going for around $675. Wow! I assume they are discontinuing the 361?

Does anyone have a good idea on the current prices for Stihl's MS 361, and Husky's 357XP?

I've got a 357XP I got used, and like it a lot. Smooth running, and it just seems to "fit" me well. For my use, however, it would have been hard to justify the cost of a new one ($660 w/bar and chain, but that was a couple of years ago). Worth it if I were doing this professionally, I guess, but I'm mostly a weekend warrior.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Hilltop366

No 362 in canada yet, the 361 artic is ordered if all goes well I'll pick it up next week, hope I like it , I haven't payed for it yet but it is mine anyway, I said I'll buy it so it's mine I won't back out.

The dealer is a good friend from way back, but I would not back out on anyone as long as I'm getting what I'm asked for.

I'll let you know what I think after I try it, It's going to be bulky compared to my Dolmar 115 but should have lots more power.

Piston

Quote from: Rocky_J on October 09, 2009, 08:29:29 AM
I know a couple people who own the 361 and they are both very happy with it. The only complaint I've heard about the saw is the stingy oiler. The good news is that the 460 oiler is a direct swap and should provide higher flow for less bar/chain wear.

I'm glad you mentioned this, I bought a 361 last year and love it, but I do feel like it could use some more oil when I'm milling with it.  Has anyone tried this swap yet? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Rocky_J

Not on that particular saw, but I've removed/ changed oilers on several Stihl models and they are all very similar. It's very straightforward, an air nozzle is handy for blowing all the crud out of your way as you go. There will be lots of crud. But after you remove the clutch/sprocket assembly, there are two screws holding the oiler pump down. Should be a grommet sealing it against the oil tank and either a tube or grommet sealing the outlet side. Pull the two screws and lift it up.

The only oiler picture I can find is from an old dead 200T which has been partially stripped for parts. It's not identical but similar enough so that you can know what you're looking at.

flapjack23

Quote from: John Mc on October 10, 2009, 05:34:38 PM

Does anyone have a good idea on the current prices for Stihl's MS 361, and Husky's 357XP?

John Mc

I picked up a 361 a couple months ago. I'm a weekend warrior too, so paid retail from the dealer. Saw with 20" bar and extra chain was about $650+tax.

Andy
Stihl MS361

Hilltop366

I picked up my MS361 Artic today it is a little heaver than my old one but cuts faster so I guess I get to set it down sooner?

A older man came up to the shop when Joey(the shop owner) was testing the saw Joey pointed out the heated handles to him he muttered something about a girls saw as he was going by me on his way inside. Not sure what he ment but I'm sure I will enjoy them when it is -15°C (5°f).

Visiting the guys shop is always interesting he also has a second hand & salvage store (doors ,windows store closeouts old hardware)at a different location and is aways collecting junk of some kind.

Part of the store is a old lumber camp bunk house with origional style wood stove.

old engine

folk art

Saw blade

And a 40' trailer loaded with junked saws for parts.

SawTroll

Quote from: Hilltop366 on October 16, 2009, 09:22:52 PM
I picked up my MS361 Artic today it is a little heaver than my old one but cuts faster so I guess I get to set it down sooner? .......

The Arctic is about .4 lbs heavier than the standard one, and well worth it in a cold and/or wet climate.... :)
Information collector.

alinicoll

I`ve had a357 for about 5 years with no major worries, I`ve heard some of the newer ones had carb trouble but  that may have been sorted. Mostly run 15" but it does 18" fine. couldn`t compair to 361 it been a while since i used one.

RSteiner

Quote from: John Mc on October 10, 2009, 05:34:38 PM
I see from Cut4Fun's post that the 362 seems to be going for around $675. Wow! I assume they are discontinuing the 361?

I've got a 357XP I got used, and like it a lot. Smooth running, and it just seems to "fit" me well. For my use, however, it would have been hard to justify the cost of a new one ($660 w/bar and chain, but that was a couple of years ago). Worth it if I were doing this professionally, I guess, but I'm mostly a weekend warrior.

John Mc

As I stated earlier in this thread I was quoted two prices for a 357xp about a month ago from two dealers, with a 16" bar one price was $625.00 and the other was $670.00. 

Randy
Randy

DonT

I just got done pricing a 357xp from my local husky dealer taxes in out the door with two chains and an 18inch bar price is going to be 879.00.This saw will replace an 034 purchased in 2000 and it has been a workhorse.I like stihl products but they are only available from rental shops in my area,whos personnel are somewhat rude and ignorant,on the other hand the local husky dealer treats me well and gives prompt service because he knows i earn my living with my saws.That being said i do have my eye on a stihl 200T to replace my 338T.  DonT

SawTroll

Quote from: DonT on October 27, 2009, 09:00:38 PM
I just got done pricing a 357xp from my local husky dealer taxes in out the door with two chains and an 18inch bar price is going to be 879.00.This saw will replace an 034 purchased in 2000 and it has been a workhorse.I like stihl products but they are only available from rental shops in my area,whos personnel are somewhat rude and ignorant,on the other hand the local husky dealer treats me well and gives prompt service because he knows i earn my living with my saws.That being said i do have my eye on a stihl 200T to replace my 338T.  DonT

To me, it looks like you should stay with Husky, even though I love the MS361!   8) 8) 8)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!