iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New mill

Started by TennesseeWoodsman, October 05, 2009, 02:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TennesseeWoodsman

I have been reading and enjoying posts here for the past 18 months and finally scrounged the money to get my own mill. It's a Turnermill and although not as stoutly built as a WM, there's a lot of saw for the money. It's been a lot of fun so far learning how to use it (lots more work to do to get proficient). There is a fair amount of timber on my place.  I build a lot of outbuildings and enjoy woodworking and have been using the Amish to mill my lumber to date. I bought the saw because I wanted to be able to saw for myself and friends/neighbors. I enjoy pictures from you so it's only right that I share mine here too. So far been practicing on sweet gum and beech. Sawed some interesting looking spalted beech and will share those pics a little later. Thanks for all the great information posted here. It made researching saws/features and prices much easier.

First log

How long was that thing supposed to be again?

I'll probably build a shed for it and of course use the saw to cut the lumber  ;)  I managed to flip a log over the backstops but haven't run a blade into them yet so counting my blessings. I can see where a resaw would be really nice. I have a tractor with loader/forks for setting logs onto the saw. I like some of the decks that I've seen posted here so when I get a shed built will try to build something like that so I can have logs queued up and ready to go. Happy sawing!

James P.

Hello Woodsman , nice pics and  that is a nice little mill. I would suggest getting a roof over it or tarp asap. If you look at a lot of used WM the sun hasn't been kind. Just IMO they WM should have a better uv protective finish. Never mind, they cost enough already. Nice saw and looks like you've got the hang of it. have fun and play safe! James P.

beenthere

Welcome on board, TennesseeWoodsman

Looks like you are set for some fun.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, TennesseeWoodsman.

After you get used to all the particulars of your mill, sawing will be one of your ways of relaxing!
Even though it's work, I always feel relaxed when sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Welcome TN woodsman, glad to have you here.  Welcome. 
Nice mill you got there.  Looks your having fun. 8)

I look forward to seeing your mill shed posts. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Dave Shepard

Congratulations on the new mill! Thanks for the photos, they are always fun. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TreeWinder

Ed
041 056S 056M
MS660 070 084
CS670
Baker 18M
Komatsu D-21-P ,
Speeco 35T

ARKANSAWYER

You sure did pick a long handle TW.   Find that first board you cut and write on it and save it.  Now that I have sawn millions of them I wished I knew where the first one went.
  When you saw into the mill you can call yourself a sawyer.   Welcome and keep posting.
ARKANSAWYER

Dave Shepard

I know where my first board is. In fact, I know where about 4,000 square feet of them are. I just don't know which of them is the first. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

TennesseeWoodsman

Thanks for the welcoming words.

You're right, TennesseeWoodsman is a long handle. TW is probably better. Hitting the backstops sure looks easy to do. It's probably a matter of when, not if.

I keep the mill in a tractor shed. It's good cover for the saw but not suitable for a saw shed because of all location of the poles. I know which was my first board off the saw because it was the right thickness ..... it took me a couple of boards to figure out the scale so I ended up with some odd thickness boards.

Thanks again for the kind words, TW

Magicman

Congratulations on a good looking mill.  You'll find that there's nothing like sawing..... 8)

I always carry a couple of 2X12's to pull up on so that I can keep both wheels on the ground.  For me, I feel that it helps to stabilize the mill and could prevent possible flexing.  Not trying to be critical, just saying what I do... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

nas

Welcome TW
Happy sawing 8) 8)

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Jasperfield

Where in TN are you?

Tom

Only problem is, We already have a TW.

I kind of like TennesseeWoodsman. ;D

DanG

Tom beat me to it.  I like Tennesseewoodsman too, but I ain't planning to type it all the time.  Howzabout TWood for short?

Welcome to the Forum TWood, and to the wonderful world of sawmilling!  I like the look of that little mill.  Looks like you're getting some good results already. :) :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

rickywashere

nice mill keep the pics rolling in we all love them here

thecfarm

The fun has just began.Have a good time with your new toy.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TennesseeWoodsman

Uh oh, TW is out. TWood is good though. Appreciate the suggestion on the 2x's under the wheels. Can't have too much support.

I live in middle TN, due south of Nashville but only 7 miles north of the AL state line. Great place to live if you like the rural life.

I have a nice pile of a dozen logs to work on so looking forward to this weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Burlkraft

Way ta go Tn Woodsman  8)  8)  8)  8)

Welcome to the forum and the world of sawing  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Raider Bill

Welcome to the greatest and friendliest place on the web!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

KyTreeFarmer

TWoodsman, Good job on your pictures. Keep 'em coming, we all like pics!. Nice looking mill you got there. Good luck with the sawing and have fun.

KTF
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Don K

Welcome to the Forum Twood.That's is some pretty country where you live. Been through the area a coupla times.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Thank You Sponsors!