iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poulan Pro=Jonsered=Husky?

Started by SasquatchMan, September 14, 2003, 09:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SasquatchMan

All right chainsaw experts, step up and blast away.  I'm a casual user (Carpenter by trade) but I cut a few cords of firewood a year, mostly spruce and pine, and nothing over about 18 inches...  I've been using an electric chainsaw  :-[ for a couple of years now (people don't like gas chainsaws in their houses, and as a reno tool, chainsaws can be indispensable), but it's time to get a gas one.  It seems that some of the Poulan Pro models are identical to some of the Jonsereds, and I've heard that some Jonsereds are identical to Huskies... if this is the case, can a guy get husky quality at Poulan Pro prices?  Ought he?  
I'm not cutting that much wood, and I suspect that even a stihl ms270 or a similar husky would be way more than enough saw for me, but I don't want to buy a sears saw and hate it, or have it unserviceable, etc...Anybody know who makes the Craftsman 42cc saw?  It looks very like a Poulan Pro 260...  Thanks for advice
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Tillaway

Lets see I used to know, Poulan, Jonsered and Husqvarna are all owned by Eletrolux.  All three share parts or used to, some Jonsered models were Huskies with cosmetic changes, I have seen several mulit-colored saws where you could not tell which brand it is.  Craftsman saws are Poulans and I suspect, don't know for sure, that the homeowner model huskies share the same power plants (piston, cylinder, crank& case setup).  maybe someone that really knows would chime in because I am curious.  I disassembled a 40cc Huskie not long ago and the power package looked like it could be put into a bunch of different things.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

SasquatchMan

Thanks!  It does look like the Jred 2145 and the husky 345, for example, are identical... (I emailed Jred about this and should know in a few days....  It also looks like Poulan's out of the "good" saw business, and the models which used to overlap no longer exist (like the Poulan 505 and the Jred 2085, which apparently were the same).  

Anyone else taken these things apart?  

Typhoon

Maybe I can help a little. But only in Lamens terms. Do NOT buy a Craftsman saw.!! I bought one 2 years ago, brand new, and I would not give 5.00 for a new one now. I take very good care of all of my things and it has given me nothing but problems. However, later I bought a Poulan Pro, 40cc, and it has been a great saw! Much MUCH  more reliable, smoother, etc than the Craftsman. Then recently I bought a Husky 350. Now THIS is a saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck.. steer clear of the Craftsman saws. And if you notice, you can get a Husky 350 for a few bucks more than a Poulan Pro. Its worth it!!
Brad Dawson, Anna IL (Southern tip)
Husky 346xpNE, Husky 357XP, Norwood Lumbermate2000

Den Socling

I don't do much sawing - just some fire wood and stuff around the yard. For years, I used Homelite but the last Homelite was so cantankerous about starting (2 to 3 pulls one time, 20 or 30 pulls the next time) that I got a Poulan last time. It wouldn't last if used heavily but, for me, it has been very good.

I've heard the same about sear's being junk. My father-in-law, who takes very good care of his equipment was always fixing his.

Tom

The only sears saw I never had any trouble with was little Poulan pancake saw my Father-in-law bought in 1963 when a big storm tore up Atlanta   It had a 14 inch bar and I cut up 4 big pines about 30 DBH, a bunch of smaller tree and a big oak into small enough pieces that I could carry them up the hill from the back yard to the street.  I had a wall of wood stacked on the street that was four feet tall and  close to 80 feet long.  When the saw wouldn't reach through the tree, I cut all I could and then split hunks off with an axe until I could saw the center.  A bunch of years later (10?) he gave me the saw and I used it to cut firewood for the wood stove we heated with.  Then some low life, no-good-worthless-excuse-for-a-human stole it.  It would probably still be going.  I've had other Poulans, Ropers (sears) and Mac's but nothing every held a candle to that saw until I got the Husky 61. Man! That's one good saw.  I guess I've had two really good saws in my life, eh?

David_c

i have a poulan 2.3ci i have cut alot of firewood with it also cleared little more than an acer with it but it realy did'nt have enough power plus i constanly had to clean it it would clog up so now i own two huskys 372xp awsome saw plus a 350 good saw. wish i had bought one of these sooner well worth the extra money you will be ahead of the game if you spend a little more and get a stilh or husky stilh are more than husky but with either one you will have a good saw for a long time to come.

SasquatchMan

:)Thanks all... went to the Jred and Stihl dealers near me today, and the Jred 2137, Poulan Pro 260, and Sears saw all seem to be nearly identical... whether that makes the sears saw good or the bottom end Jred bad I dunno... Anyhow, I was much more impressed by the feel of the Stihl saws... particularly the ms290 "Farm Boss", but with 57cc it's definitely a bigger boy than I was expecting to buy... better too much than too little I guess...  the Stihl dealer was very knowledgeable and serviced in his shop so I think I'll probably buy from him... Anybody have experience with the smaller stihls?  I'll have to look at the husky 350 too...

Tom

If you are cutting mostly firewood and smaller logs, look for a saw in the 4 cubic inch range. That's a lot of saw but usually light enough to handle all day.  This was mentioned before when somebody said 3.5 or 3.8 cubes.  I think they are right and it is a good window to shop in.

SasquatchMan

Do you guys generally agree that a heavier saw is a little more kickback safe?  More power means more kickback potential, I guess, but I liked the fact that the ms290 had a fairly long body and handle, which seemed to give a bit more leverage...   I'm a big enough guy to handle a medium heavy saw, so I'm not worried about an extra pound or two if it means happier cutting.  

David_c

i have noticed that there is less kick back with my new saws but i would imagine that kickback could potentoinly be more sever with more power.

SasquatchMan

David your post on kickback and the comments with it have convinced me to buy a bigger saw than I was going to.  I have always purchased "more than enough" with my carpentry tools, and never regretted it (and have had more problems on my dinky little tools than on the monster-horse table saw). I guess my innate, natural, and totally sane fear of chainsaws overruled my experience with other cutting devices... now I just gotta come up with some bucks ;)

David_c

sasquatchman you definily want be sorry make sure you also wear safety gear if you dot already. ENJOY 8)

SasquatchMan

:)  I always wear gloves, steelies, goggles, earplugs  etc, but I think I might get some proper pants for Christmas... I've got two legs but I like em both.  

David_c

i would'nt wait for christmas i would get some chaps when you get your new saw at about 45-60 bucks its cheap protection i wont cut without them i figuire better safe than sorry.

SasquatchMan

Are all chainsaw chaps the same?  Are they  kevlar or what?
Thanks again

David_c

they have kevlar and a saw gamming materal some are 6 layers some are9 there desinged to stop saw before sever damage occurs.

rebocardo

From reading the saw descriptions and such, it would be anything under 3.8 is required to have low kick back protection, including the saw chain. Anything bigger is not "required" to be tested to low kickback (Federal) standards.

I have a Poulan 2375 (says Wild Thing and purple), 18 inches, and it does an okay job and it is easy to handle. I have cut down some pretty big trees with it and it has enough stuff to be good for firewood. Biggest bonus for me is it is small and light enough for the front seat of my truck and it comes with a case and shealth for $139 from Home Depot. It leaks oil now, it is only rated for 50 hours, and I have certainly exceeded that. Still works and makes money.

Though in no way does it compare with my new Husky 365, even with the Husky using a low kickback chain.

Some of the bigger saws are not recommended for cutting things under 3 inches because the saw can and will grab it and whip it back at you. For cutting small stuff I grab the small electric 14 inch or my sawzall with a pruning blade.

For limbing the top of a tree when it is down and if electric is available I prefer the sawzall. It is much safer and quicker to use than a chainsaw, especially when poking it through a mass of branches.

Guess I am just saying, size has its place and you pay for size and how long the saw is suppose to last.

A 50 hour $139 saw will cost $3 an hour. A Husky is probably cheaper per hour, but, if you are not going to be using that saw more than 50 hours a year, the Husky is not cost effective unless you need to run a big bar and cut a lot of firewood.

My Husky 365 at $560 cost 4x more than the $138 Poulan. To be cost effective, I have to cut 4x as much wood and not repair the saw and use it 200 hours within the two year warranty. The trouble is the Husky is very fast, but, when cutting firewood you spend more time handling the wood than cutting it!

David_c

the thing is in 20 years you will still have your 365 if you take care of it or dont sell it. now i dont know about using a sawsall for cutting up trees but i will tell you either my 350 or 372xp make short work of limbing and bucking and i find i wind up using the 372 more ofton just becuase its quicker just remember you get what you pay for i have a freind who thinks he saves money to buy the cheap stuff and it is at time of purchuse but when you have to keep buying those things every year or two you are better of spending the extra money the first time its cheaper in the long run.

SasquatchMan

Thanks rebo... I admit I think I'll be over-powered most of the time with the 290 or the JRed, but I fear two things with the cheaper saws... one is that I'll wear it in the first year, wear it out the second, and the other is that if the saw develops problems, it may not be fixable.  I was super impressed with my nearest Stihl dealer's sales and service approach, and his shop-techs can definitely figure out a problem faster than my local Sears staff.  I'm tempted to run the hell out of a cheap saw, just to see... but really, I think David P is on the right track (for my purposes).  I live in a tiny town, and intend to cut more wood every year from now on...  I think putting the $ into a good saw is my best bet.  

Gus

Hard to go wrong with Jonsred, Husky or Stihl. Ask any pro that depends on his saw to start daily. I ran Stihl my whole logging career. I don't think I ever hauled my saw to town because it wouldn't start. Only to buy parts because I dropped a tree on them. The last one I bought was an 034, I run a 20" bar on it. I've still got a butterknife saw I bought from one of my hired hands that I like to use for carpenter work. It is an 015. I have no idea how old that is but it is old and still in good service. So The small Stihl saws are good ones. Stihl made a couple of fickle models through the years but only a couple  and they were in the pro line.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Craig

Hi,
Just my 2 cents. You really can't go wrong with a stihl or a husky the most important thing is to have a good dealer and it sounds like you found a good one with stihl. I have run husky's because when I bought my first pro saw when I lived in maine there was a good dealer close by and he sold husky's. With that said you mentioned the 290 stihl. have you looked at the ms260 stihl? Nice light saw with good power.
As far as the kickback issue power, chain speed and bar length all contribute. So while a larger saw might feel like it would reduce kickback has alot more power and more kickback potential add to that a longer bar and that gives the saw more leverage to kickback with.
Thats my 2 cents for what it's worth. Good luck with the stihl which ever you choose.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

SasquatchMan

Thanks Craig.  I looked at the 260, and it is quite possibly a better saw than the 290 for lots of reasons... I took the 290 in the end, but not with a huge bar (there just isn't a realistic chance of having to cut a tree that's more than about 20").  The handles on the 290 were about 2 inches longer than the littler Stihls, and I felt (possibly mistakenly) much more in control because of this.  A friend of mine who cuts a lot of trees and the occassional set of antlers suggested that a bigger saw is less likely to kick back in a bog-down situation, but of course more power = more potential danger.  As a carpenter, I've always run monster skilsaws, and never had any problem, because they cut through things that might make lesser saws buck or bog...  Obviously a chainsaw is a different sort of cutting tool, but I think the same rules apply...

So far the 290 rocks.  I'm sure I would be just as happy with a husky (though I didn't think I could work the choke with gloves on) or a Dolmar or Echo or whatever... really a question of dealer preference for me.

Just after buying, I noticed Sawfan suggested in another post that the 290 series was to be avoided but didn't really give particular reasons why.  Anyone else know any bad stuff about these saws?    

Craig

No Problem Sasquatchman,
What is important is what you are comfortable with and having a good dealer to fix the saw if you have a problem! I just picked up a new 372 xp husky yesterday. It is a nice saw. I had the oppourtunity to run one when I took the game of logging training this past april and was real impressed. I run it with a 16" bar most of the time but have longer bars if needed but with a 16" bar and an 8 tooth sprocket that saw can cut some wood. Well good luck with the stihl you should be happy with it, they make a quality product!

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Gus

Craig,
372XP with an 8 tooth rim :o ?
Chain must be moving right along 8).
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Thank You Sponsors!