iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Time to clean out the freezer! Of deer meat.

Started by semologger, October 04, 2009, 07:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semologger

Well deer season is here  and i have a whole deer or more to eat. I have to get it ate so i can put fresh back in it. So tonight we are having fried tenderloin and mashed taters. I am planning on making jerky and anything else i can think of till its gone.

Any sugestions on recipes for deer meat other than frying it. And adding it to hamburger helper. I know you all have some.

Radar67

Spaghetti, tacos, stew, roast, bbq. You can replace beef in any dish with it.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

beenthere

Dice into 3/4" cubes, and put about a quart in a crockpot along with a can of mushroom soup (or another soup if preferred). Slow cook 6-8 hours, and serve. 

Can add carrots/potatoes if preferred.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I'm in the same situation. Gonna be making summer sausage with mine and probably some link sausage too.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Sunfield Hardwood

just spent two days making snack sticks, jerky, polish sausage, breakfast sausage, brats, and summer sausage, to use what was left from last year and a buck I shot on thurs. last week, opening day of our bow season, course I didnt use all of this years deer and I hope to harvest a couple more.
I've been cooking the sausage that needs cooked in the oven, but I would like to start smoking it soon, I've got a tiny smoker that wont get hot enough but I'm going to buy or build something big enough to do the job soon.
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

fishpharmer

I used to have the same problem.  For the last couple of years I usually get one or two deer.  I have them made into smoked sausage and summer sausage soon after they are killed.  The meat rarely lasts a year with my family.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

semologger

I think this year i will have mine made into some sticks and summer sausage. With my family i can get 6 deer just for rifle season. I think i am just going to hunt for horns and let my daughter go for the meat. I had a chance to get a doe everyday last year for rifle season i wated till the last few days and shot a 6 point and a spike. going to let anything smaller than that go by this year.

iffy

cube it and can it. Pack tightly into jar, no liquid, 1/4 tsp granulated or powdered beef bouillon, 1/4 tsp salt, new lid, 15# for 90 minutes. Can't tell it from beef. Keeps forever.

beenthere

What I like about venison is that it is better than beef.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

semologger

Well last night was fried tender loin. Breakfast today was the same. Then for supper was Ground deer, rice, and cabbage goulash. It was pretty good for the first time making it. Iffy ive never heard of canning deer meat. Dont seem so bad but im not much on making it last that long. I plan on eating it as much as i can. Do you have to have it kept in the fridge after you can it?

pappy19

My kids only want our deer and elk cooked this way, even if it's 7 days a week.

Pappy's Chicken Fried Steak

Use 2 lbs. of  bird breast or good grade inside round steak, deer, elk or beef (or better), about ½ inch thick. Trim off gristle and fat.  Cut into pieces about 5-6 inches in diameter. Pound thoroughly on both sides with a butcher knife until almost falling apart. Flour each piece thoroughly and shake off the excess. Dip in batter (below), shake off excess and dip in flour again.  Use a deep fryer or a good cast iron dutch oven/skillet with a good brand of vegetable or peanut oil.  Heat oil to about 325' , turn once, and cook until golden brown.

Batter:
3 Tbls. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 whole egg
1 Tbls. baking powder
2 cups milk

Mix the first 4 ingredients with ½ of the milk and stir until smooth. Add the remainder of the milk and mix well.

Gravy:
1 stick butter
6 cups milk
1 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup flour
2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

Melt butter completely. Add milk and mix thoroughly.  Bring to a boil. Shake flour and oil in a jar and pour into heated milk.  Stir until smooth and thickened.  Remove from heat, add salt and pepper.

Biscuits :
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
3 tsp baking powder
5 Tbls. butter
2 cups milk
1 egg
Sift all dry ingredients into a bowl. Cut in butter with a knife. Add milk and mix. Knead dough, and cut into biscuits. Dip into melted butter on both sides and place on baking sheet or cast iron skillet. Bake at 425' for 12-15 minutes. High altitude will require a little more flour.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

gary

Canned deer meat is good, but it is a lot of work. No you don't have to refrigerate it.

Raider Bill

Quote from: semologger on October 05, 2009, 10:13:40 PM
Well last night was fried tender loin. Breakfast today was the same. Then for supper was Ground deer, rice, and cabbage goulash. It was pretty good for the first time making it. Iffy ive never heard of canning deer meat. Dont seem so bad but im not much on making it last that long. I plan on eating it as much as i can. Do you have to have it kept in the fridge after you can it?

Cabbage Goulash?  Now that sounds good! Got a recipe?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

semologger

The recipe i found was under Cooks.com Its beef-rice-cabbage Goulash. It needs a little help to make it better but i liked it. I usualy stay away from cabbage but this just caught my eye.

Thanks for the recipe Pappy. I am going to try it soon as posible.

Raider Bill

Thanks I'm headed there now to get it.

Forgot my manners, Thank you Pappy that recipe has been added to my book.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ErikC

I am a big fan of canned deer meat. It tastes great on sandwiches cold, makes a strogonof  or stew that tastes like it has been cooked all day in a few minutes, and keeps without freezing. Try it, I bet you'll make it from now on.   
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

iffy

I also can carp. Big carp, filet it, skin it, cut out worst of the red streak, chunk it up, same recipe as deer except for no bouillon. Use it like salmon, makes excellent salmon patties.

Magicman

Quote from: iffy on October 05, 2009, 02:34:28 PMPack tightly into jar, no liquid, 1/4 tsp granulated or powdered beef bouillon, 1/4 tsp salt, new lid, 15# for 90 minutes.

Do you mix the ingredients with the meat before packing it into the jar, or just put it on top of the meat?  Is that a quart jar?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pappy19

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 06, 2009, 09:23:35 AM
Thanks I'm headed there now to get it.

Forgot my manners, Thank you Pappy that recipe has been added to my book.

No problem to any and all who use this recipe, I know you and yours will love it. About the only thing I can add, is to use some seasoning salt in the second flour dredge. Other than that, it's all good.

Pap
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

ErikC

We use pint jars, for 2 people. Quarts would do for 3 or 4 I guess. Just put it all in the jar, no need to mix up anything first, and it all cooks in during the canning process. I think there are recipes for this in many canning books as far as the pressure, time etc.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

iffy

The recipe is for pints. Meat should be packed tightly. Doesn't matter whether you mix it up or not. When it is done the jar will have liquid up to the 1/2 or 2/3 area.

Sunfield Hardwood

we also can venison in pints, all get about half an onion chopped up and thrown in, about half get a couple dollups of bbq sauce along with the onions and venison, dump in a pan warm it up and put it on a bun, or I like cooking some noodles and adding a can of the plain canned venison,with or without a can of cream of mushroom soup, it's goooood 8)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

WH_Conley

Way my brood eats it we would have to to use half gallons.
Bill

James P.

probably not the healthiest thing, but I eat a few deer before winter is over. I can't imagine having any left til the next season.Especially the tenderloins, I cook it in a pressure cooker , salt  and horseradish if I am lucky and think I am luckiest man alive. I eat several pounds a day.I love it and don't know the difference between an old buck and a young doe when it comes to the taste. although I would prefer the old big buck. I don't much eat anything else other than sweet potatoes while I have deer. I can't say it gets old. if I was feeding a family obviously this wouldn't fly

ErikC

Before I got married, I did about the same thing, but with regular potatoes. Deer meat, potatoes and already canned beans was pretty much the routine. Now I have a more balanced diet, but when she is gone a few days for some reason I revert right back. 

Thank You Sponsors!