iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pert near a Swinger

Started by ARKANSAWYER, September 14, 2003, 07:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

Yep!  I DanG near 'came a swinger yesterday.  It was at an auction of an ole boy who worked himself to death on it with in just 22 hrs on the meter.  It was  a Lucas 825 and was 2 years old.  It went for $850 more coins then I had.   :'(  But I tried.
  I know the folks who bought it as I have sawn for them and it will consume more beer then gas and make more slabs then boards.  These folks own land that has been highgraded and there is not a tree on the place over 12 inche dia.  Being fall they must have sold their cash crop and their purse was deeper then mine.
  I did buy 60 logs sight unseen at another site for $75 and figured I could make firewood if nothing else.  There were 50 logs that would make ties and about 4 to 4.5 mbdft total.. There was a 18 inch Princess tree in there and one DanG *(#$*&#$#* elm.  Two nice cherrys and one small walnut.  
  Maybe next time.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bro. Noble

Arkansawyer,

I just read a sale bill that listed a Lucas,  I think it was at Midway, Ark.  Maybe you have another chance ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

duke401

you must relly like elm, they cut so easy, the last one just took all the teeth off one blade
I dont think it was the trees fault yet.
ARKY do you ues a metal detector?
duke

Fla._Deadheader

Arky, with all them "coins" ya make and save, your shirt oughta have a "Wells Fargo" logo embroidered on it. $850 should be "chump change" for you  ;) :D :D :D :D :D

Duke, I saw yer post about metal detectors. Let me fill ya in a little.
   Frank Pender, among others, use a Rens brand detector. They are definitely a good unit, but, too expensive for my taste. We are detector dealers, AND, I am NOT tryin to sell ya one.
   A White's, Garrett, Bounty Hunter, or Fisher M-scope, are all good machines. A mid priced (new) machine will run around $300-$400. We own 7 machines because we do-did use them for diving treasure wrecks.
   There are Classifieds on Treasure Hunting sites, where you can get a bargain. Look in the phone book for Metal Detectors-Treasure Hunting.
   There must be a Dealer close by. They will back up their sale and show you how to use one.
   Expect to pay around $150-$ 250. Most have an 8" loop. They will find metal up to 12" from the loop. Nails are a little tricky, as, when driven, they are very small on the head end. Metal Detectors work on the principal of "Mass". The more SOLID mass of metal, not pieces, the better the detector will "see" it. A gold chain necklace is near impossible to "see" with the average detector, because it is in pieces, not solid.
   A little trick we use is, turn the loop on edge and scan with it. It will "pinpoint" the metal, instead of looking in the 8" circle of the loop.
   If I cornfuzed ya, write back and I will REALLY try to cloud up the issue. ;D ;D  If ya need to ask questions, just let me know.  :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BW_Williams

Arky, how much did it go for?  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

oakiemac

Can't believe a Lucas 825 went for $850 bucks!! Unless it was in very bad shape, it is worth $10,000. I need to find some auctions like that. :D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Jeff

I think Arky meant it went for 850 more then he had. Maybe it did go for 10,000
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

oakiemac

Yep, your right I read it wrong. I thought that was the deal of the century.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Haytrader

Not meanin to answer for him but he mentioned he had four grand pianos in his pocket.
 ;)
Haytrader

ARKANSAWYER

Noble,  That was the sale I went to.  It was a good sale and the man had plenty of treasures.
  The mill was  good as new and had 3 spare blades and went for just $4,850.00.   I was not going to dip into my log money as I have learned to do that is bad for business.  You can never tell when a load of good logs will come in and you need lots of coin.   If I was going to beg money then I would buy the mill that I really want.  I just had $4 grand handy and set my price to below that.  I know these folks and come January I may still  get it for my price. ;D
  I do not scan logs as it takes a long time and I have not found a dector that will pick up a nail more then 4 inches deep in a oak log.  The boy has a WalMart detector and we use it to scan butt logs from the tree service 3 to 5 ft up to look for nails just under the bark.  Wanda is very good at finding them and a good log most of the time is worth a blade.  A blade is $20 and it takes less then 5 min to change and I pay $150 mbdft for yard trees and a good oak will produce 100 bdft of 1C or better so I do OK.  Besides it is a tax write off and it keeps my blade inventory fresh. ::)
  No swinging this week  :(
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Captain

WOW That's a pretty good price for the green swinger.

Hang in there Arky, the day will come.  I had some fun with Vermonter this weekend meeting a few Peterson mill owners and looking ot the new upgrades/improvements on the WPF mill at his "Field Day" event in Duxbury, VT.

Back to reality now....anyone looking for swing mill experience in Massachusetts?  I gotta quit my day job......It's cutting into my sawing time. ::)

CAPTAIN

Thank You Sponsors!