iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cash for Cants, a Logrite visit (and small fire)

Started by Ironwood, October 01, 2009, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Kevin and Tam stopped by today to see my "operation". In the one pic you will see my old timey cat hook being compared to the latest greatest WOOPER Mega Hook. The old one is a wall hanger. While getting the tour I had refired my "walrus" wood oven after shaking it violently w/ the forklift and hosing the inside down to break loose the creosote. Well, I shifted the rubber mat and it was contacting the chimney flue. Lets just say I am qualified and practiced w/ a 40 lb extingisher now (no that's NOT snow on the ground).

Worked out fine, had a great lunch and spent some time w/ some great FF folks. That is Tam doing a FF "driveby" in the one pic.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

DanG

That sounds like a great visit, Reid! 8) 8)  I love it when folks stop by and things don't go exactly according to Hoyle.  They get to see me spring into action and save the day with the most incredible acts of brilliance and bravery they've ever seen!  One thing for sure, Tam and Kev won't be forgetting that visit! 8) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

ohsoloco

I didn't get a fire (let alone an out of control one  ;)  ), but I won't soon forget my visit with Ironwood  :) 

Walrus  ???  I thought it was called "the pig"...

Ironwood

We added some "tusks" to it (crude cooling tubes) so it looked different to my son, so he said it must now be a Walrus.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

beenthere

Ironwood
Can ya give us a rundown what the "walrus" does and how it works? And the rubber mat? is that what is covering over it?

Could use a better pic of Tami.  ;D ;D

You and Kevin came through pretty clear.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ironwood

The walrus was designed to be a super high temp sterilizing unit, steam chamber and vaccum kiln (abandoned). I run it HOT. For mantels, timber, and rounds. It is 36" in diameter and 12' long, weighs about 7000lbs. The "pig" was the original name as it is wrapped in insulation and has a rubber mat (blanket) keeping  it dry. It is NOT this close to the shop anymore either. Today I hope to remove the rubber and add insulation and then "skin" it in galvanized concrete decking. I had never had a flammables issue w/ the rubber before, but I DONT want to go there again.  ::)

I have no better pic of Tami, it was stated that she was "packing" (brownies I think) so I did want to mess w/ her.

The grey bandsaw in the backround is my "outside saw" everyone should have one. It is also the woodsplitter with the quickest cycle time I have ever seen,  :D ;). No hydrualic leaks either!

scsmith42

Quote from: Ironwood on October 01, 2009, 09:36:01 PM
(no that's NOT snow on the ground).

Ironwood

Reid - glad to hear it... although from the photo it looks like there may be some "snow" on  your chin.... is your cat shedding or sumthin???   :D  :D  :D

Seriously - great post and pix.  Nothing like a "little" fire to get your adrenalin glands working, is there?

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

Yeah, I was at the rear of the shop and saw black smoke over the roof, I said "excuse me for a moment please" and RAN. Sure enough it wasn't normal. I have a TON of fire suppression around so I kindly asked Kevin to retrieve another "just in case we needed a second". I NEVER forgot my manners (MIL would be proud). I did think of you Scott  ::) thanks for checking in.

The aaaaa snow on the chin is a sign of wisdom,..... a yeah that's it. I go o'natural, unlike most of you Greasion Formula (sic) guys and I am NOT wearing a toupe' either, AND the hat is NOT covering a bald spot.   :D

Ironwood

scsmith42

Quote from: Ironwood on October 02, 2009, 08:48:28 AM

The aaaaa snow on the chin is a sign of wisdom,..... a yeah that's it.
Ironwood

:D  :D  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

DanG

Ironwood, I'm sorry you don't have a bald spot to cover yet, but give it time.  You're just a pup yet.  Those who are plagued with a lot of cranial hair, seem to be underwear of the advantages of an unfettered pate.  We, of the follically relieved persuasion know what a blessing it can be to simply remove that hat and get instant relief from the heat.  There are downsides of course, just like everything else, but not so many as you might think.  The biggest ones are that we have to wear a hat to keep from getting sunburned in the summer, and to hold a bit of warmth in in( ;D ) the winter.  And then there is all the flak we catch from people who don't know how unfortunate they are to not be equipped with such a flexible ventilation system. ::) ;D :D  But do not despair, for you will lose your hair. ;D :D

Other than that minor shortcoming, I'm really impressed with what you're doing there. 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

thecfarm

Hair on your head also protects you from all time you hit your head on something. Seems like at work when I get to close to the machine to see something,I hit my head. Another battle scar.That one will look good.  ::)  Gives everyone a reason to ask me what happened to your head.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

The crew LOVED the Logrite. They had a Stihl/ Logrite, they now know where they REALLY come from.

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!