iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shop gone

Started by bandmiller2, October 01, 2009, 07:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Well guys this is the first morning I' ve waken up a retired duffer.Was the lone mechanic for a medium sized fire dept. for the last 31 years.Will really miss my shop big metal lathe,milling machine ,surface grinder,nibbler,huge cutoff saw,6'shear,small brake,heavy hyd. press,Hobart motor gen. welder and a 5ton bridge crane,most navy surplus.Heavy trucks are getting like the cars everything computerized,time for this dinosour to step aside and let computer boy take over.Will miss the guys [most] but not being on call 24-7 for the last 31 years.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Raider Bill

So now what? Got plans?
I bet they are going to miss your 31 years of experiance.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

bandmiller2

Raider billy,no DanG trucks,everything else is fair game mostly the mill and old farm tractors.Want to spend more time chasing critters in the woods and ice fishing.Door has not slammed shut at work chief wants me a couple of days a week till they find someone and get him established.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JSNH

Well you know where I am. You can shoot up anytime. Hee Hee.

There is always something going on. You could forward deploy your shingle mill up here I have a lot of pine.

James P.

Congratulations Frank C. I miss old dinosaur machinist or atleast folks who could do setups without having to program the machinery. I hope you enjoy your time and someday figure out how to post pics. You have alot of great ideas and make things that seem like mountains into ant hills. 
James P.

KyTreeFarmer

Frank C.    I was lost only a couple of days when I was booted out. Soon you will be wondering how you ever had time to go to work! So many projects...so little time. Congrats on your retirement.
Mike
Woodmizer LT15G
Belsaw from Sears & Roebucks
8N Ford
87 Kubota 2550 W/FEL

Chuck White

Congratulations on your retirement bandmiller2!  8)

Retirement is great!  I retired from the Air Force 20 years ago this past May 1st!
I got bored after doing whatever I wanted to do for 2 years, then I started driving school bus!
Now I drive bus and, operate my WM,  mobile!  Of the two, I'd lot rather run the mill!  ;)

So you see, you'll just have to keep yourself busy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kansas

When I lived in town, the next door neighbor retired from being full time Air National Guard. He wanted to find a small amount of part time work, to keep busy. First off, farmers were lined up wanting to hire him to drive for harvest. The Senior Citizens housing complex hired him for maintenence. All the neighborhood had jobs they wanted him to do. After 3 months, he gave up and took a full time job with the city. Said he needed a break.

MotorSeven

I did 27 years, 2 months and 16 days(PD). Retired over 2 & a half years ago. Way busier now than when "working". I am the opposite, never had a "shop" until now, so I was been collecting those things for a few years. It's nice to walk out there & be able to get stuff done because you have the room and the proper tools.
I do not miss the work of the time regiment. Don't get me wrong, I loved my job and would have almost done it for free, but once you hit that wall, it's time to get out. I do miss the comraderie, but I do keep in touch with those true friends still wearing the "bag".

Yes Frank, we are "dino's", and I am *DanG proud of that fact!

RD
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

pineywoods

Quote from: Kansas on October 01, 2009, 09:29:24 AM
When I lived in town, the next door neighbor retired from being full time Air National Guard. He wanted to find a small amount of part time work, to keep busy. First off, farmers were lined up wanting to hire him to drive for harvest. The Senior Citizens housing complex hired him for maintenence. All the neighborhood had jobs they wanted him to do. After 3 months, he gave up and took a full time job with the city. Said he needed a break.

This is typically what happens. When you retire, everybody thinks you have all manner of time on your hands, so they pile on the jobs. Don't tell people you have retired, just say you have changed jobs...I've been "retired" 12 years, and I'm further behind now than I was 12 years ago...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Mooseherder

Congratulations Frank! 8)

When I retire the one thing I'll miss is that DanG alarm clock going  ERNT...ERNT...ERNT at 5:15 in da morning. :D

SwampDonkey

I have a ways away from that day, but I know I'd have to do something because I'd go crazy not doing anything. I suppose I could just go for longer walks.  :D ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ljmathias

So, I guess I'll own up to the fact that I'm half retired now- came out of the blue when the university offered a 'phased retirement' program for 3 years that I couldn't pass up, so for the next three years, I work half time and then move into full retirement.  After 28 years here plus another 4 at another place, I've more or less "hit the wall" my own self- now doing lots of farm work to keep up our land plus building service and home structures plus writing stuff that may some day get out in print but mostly spending time with the wife and especially five grandsons and one beautiful grand-daughter who's not much help with the chores yet being as she's only 4 months old.  Overall, I still set the alarm clock and keep regular hours, just doing more of what I want rather than what the job demands.  Lots more fun that way!

All you guys (and girls?) looking at retirement, I have just two words: Dave Ramsey.  Take his "Financial Peace University" and make sure your finances are in order or get them there quick- best $100 and 13 weeks of 2 hour meetings I've ever been involved with!  Wife and I are almost debt free and it's great, in more ways than I can tell you about.  Most important one, though, is that I get to keep the 12-18% interest I was paying Visa plus the 6% I was paying for the land plus... and the list goes on and on.  Best, and hardest, part of the program is making an actual budget, not one that kinda gets it right but one that accounts for every dollar coming in and going out: wow, did we waste a lot of money!  Now we're saving and it feels great, let me tell you.  I don't like to preach but here goes anyway: Americans need to cancel their credit cards, get out of debt and start saving money.  Sounds to easy to actually do, but you can really do it if you set your mind to it: that's the key to anything, finally coming to grips with reality and changing your attitude about it.

Enough already: retirement can be really, really great, so get ready for it early.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

Congratulations !!!  The job that you have now will be the best one that you will ever have.  Yes, it will be strange for a while, but just remember......You don't have a train to catch.  You're on your own (YOYO), enjoy. 

Read my "moto", Before you die.......Take time to live.......

I've been "retired" for 15 years in December.  Loved every minute of it..... :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Captain

Don't worry bout Frank.  I've got enough projects to keep him going....
Congrats Frank.  I'll expect more visits when you get tired of your surroundings.  Only 15.6 miles away.

Captain

trapper

21 work days left for me. just in time for hunting and trapping.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

EmannVB

Good to read the posts and know I will have company!  After 22 years in the Navy, the last 14 as a Naval Aviator, I've "hit the wall".  I will be on terminal leave (paid vacation) in early February, with June 1 as my official retirement date.  I'm hoping to pass the days getting experienced on my TK B20.  I'm planning to saw my own timber for a post-and-beam house on our property in WV,then, perhaps, some mobile "for hire" work.  That ,coupled with running a homestead style farm with my wife and 2 sons should keep me from boredom!  I have no desire to ever be "on the clock" again!  Unless maybe I can work at Tractor Supply!

~Mark
2006 TK B20, 2005 JD TLB 110, 2007 JD 4520, Stihl MS 390, Husqy 350, 1970 Homelite C72, Husky 22 ton splitter, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, and a King Ranch F350 to haul it all!

stonebroke

I have been farming for thirty six years and cannot imagine retiring.

Stonebroke

backwoods sawyer

No more 4:00 wake ups, rotating shifts, and being on call 24-7, all sounds good.
Then you go out and wrestle logs for a few day, cutting, big heavy planks, spend the evenings, taking the horse out hunting in some of them back canyons. Get ready for all the aches and pains that come from being "Re-tired".  8)                                       
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sgschwend

The good life,  :)

Often the term retired turns into a synonym for free help. 

Sounds like you will still have access to your old shop, that is a plus, I missed the one I left. ;D
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

petefrom bearswamp

I don't think any of us retire, only change careers
I stopped being a consulting forester 3 yrs ago and am now busier than ever with mill, cutting firewood, grandkids,  hunting fishing etc etc etc.
pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

STUMPKICKER

8)  Frank, enjoy your retirement, you've earned it. No fear of ya bein' idle, you've enough projects to keep you busy. Good thing, no one lookin' over ya shoulder.  ;D Take care.

thecfarm

Retirement      Boy that sounds good.I have a ways to go before I can say that about me.I have many projects to do around here.I could live to be 100 and still not get them all done.I will not have to help out other people because I am bored and need something too do.I would suggest to anyone that is retired go buy 150 acres of woods and you will never be bored. And all the toys needed to work the land too.  :D   Enjoy youir new found freedom. You have earned it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodchuck53

Congrats. Frank I look forward myself to the day or night I can sleep in my bed and call the shots. Sounds like you have a lot lined up and a lot of support to boot. Enjoy yourself and leave the gate open I'll be along shortly and will close it. Have a safe one Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

old joe

Couple of years ago for me..Still not bored!  I've got more to do now than ever.  Today my youngest son and finally got an old BIG Allis chalmers tractor to run.  I bought it burned up in a fire for scrap value when I first retired.  It was good to hear it roar.  You;ll have sucess if you throw the clock, and use a calendar!!!
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

Thank You Sponsors!