iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Luck Seems to be Turning

Started by Radar67, September 29, 2009, 09:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I've been looking for a wood splitter lately, but didn't want to spend an outrageous amount for just splitting my wood. I dropped into a local box store yesterday and they had a couple of splitters sitting out. The price tag caught my eye from a ways off and I had to investigate.

As I got closer, I could see the paint was faded and there was some rust on some of the parts. Turns out the two splitters were from last year's stock. Regularly $900, marked down to $300. The thought that popped in my head was, "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is." I went home and my mind kept going back to the splitter. 12 Ton with a gas engine. Briggs 206cc (not sure what that works out to in HP). I figured there must be something major wrong with it, but figured the hydraulic motor and other parts would be worth $300. I had fabricated a set up for my tractor in my head and went back for one this morning. The motor was locked up and a couple of return hoses needed to be replaced. I brought one home.

On the drive home, I pondered putting some marvel mystery oil in the cylinder to see if I could free it up. Since the motor had never been run, I figured water had gotten in on top of the piston and rusted the rings to the cast iron sleeve. So, I pull the plug, fill the cylinder with oil and wait. Thought after a day or so I would scrap that idea if it was still locked up. I ended up taking the pump off and decided to give the shaft a try. After a half hour of sitting with oil, the motor started to turn, slowly. I worked with it for a few minutes and it completely freed up. I put everything back together, flushed it with fresh oil, then filled it. I filled and bled the hydraulics after replacing the hoses, and put a little gas in the tank. Two pulls and it fired right up, smoked like a log truck for a few minutes, but picked right up after the oil burned off. It purred like a kitten and everything was working.  :)

I'm considering going back after the other one to fix up and sell. Another good day for me. ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

jerry-m

Good for you Radar, I always check out the returns and old stock... I scored an 5 foot tractor tiller from Tractor Supply
for $800, regular price $1550... Been using it all year...

Local wallmart has two 5500 watt generators new for $500, not two bad but I like a little better deal usually...

Jerry
Jerry

Magicman

Quote from: Radar67 on September 29, 2009, 09:56:21 PM
I'm considering going back after the other one to fix up and sell. Another good day for me. ;)

I would.  Make a couple hundred bucks...... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

Good score Terry. ;D As much wood as I split, Colby has been after me to get a splitter. I told him I already had one, It is 15 yrs old. I just can't make myself drop the bucks for one. I been using a cheap maul for years.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Warbird

Nicely done.  You'll really enjoy having that splitter.  So will your buddies who also burn wood.  ;)

Radar67

I split some wood on it today, and it works alot better than a maul.  ;) ;D ;D

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Radar67

Quote from: Don K on September 30, 2009, 01:37:13 PM
I already had one, It is 15 yrs old.

Keep in mind, that splitter is getting near the end of it's splitting life cycle.  :D :D

scsmith42

Man, I wish that I was closer - I'd beat feet your way and buy the second one from you!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Radar67

The second one was gone before I could get back to it.  :(

Magicman

Well, at least you got one, and since it was the first one sold.....Surely it was the bestest..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!