iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band Blades Longgivity

Started by southpaw, September 27, 2009, 02:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southpaw

??? with everything being relative to type of log you're cutting, approx. how many cuts, logs, how long will band blade last before needing sharpened ( not finding any debri. ) ??? ??? :-[

Dan_Shade

i push a 13'2" band 500-700 bf. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

southpaw

Thanks Dan, Gives me some idea, my mill is going to be manual so I hope to feel difference as I saw but thought if I didn't  getting idea of when I might start noticing. Thanks again.

Magicman

I generally use 2-3 blades per day, which means I get about the same as Dan......500-700bf
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

southpaw

mike_van

Sharpen it before it's really 'dull'  You'll make better lumber & your blades  will last much longer.   Anyone thats cut with a really dull chainsaw [thats everyone, right?]  Can tell you how hard it is compared to a fresh sharpened one.   I used to push blades way past dull when I was sending them out. Now, with my own setup, the first sign, they get yanked.  I try to switch off between two or three that are really close to each other, the slightest tweak on the sharpener & it's off & running.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

ladylake

It depends a lot on what your sawing, as little as 300 and as much as 1200.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

moonhill

I sharpen my own.  200-300 feet maybe a little more.  If the log is large I will cut it with one band and go 500+ feet.  I have had some which I felt needed changing before I was through with the log.  Sometimes I switch with a new log, I use the last band to open the next log then switch.  I just don't like getting down to the last 3 boards and seeing a dive or something crazy happen.  When sawing pine a new fresh band will keep the stringy bark from clogging the gullet.  It may not be really dull at this time but with the gullet clogged it can mess things up. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

WDH

On my LT15, with clean logs, I get about 600 feet.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Chuck White

With the use of the debarker, I usually average up to 700-800 bf.
Soon as I feel that the blade is starting to get dull, it gets pulled and replaced!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!