iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AWMV (Wood-Mizer) new single head resaw.

Started by Bibbyman, September 27, 2009, 09:58:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

We got some forest industry publication yesterday and it had on the cover a new single head re-saw by AWMV (Wood-Mizer's industrial division). 

It looks very much like an LT15 saw head mounted on a frame with a belt conveyor.  It's available powered by 15 or 25 hp gas, 10 hp diesel or 10hp single phase electric motor.  It looks to me like it would fit nicely in many of our small sawmill operations.

Here is a link to the WM web site giving all the details and has videos.

http://www.awmv.com/awmv/Products/Resaw_Bandsaws/hr120_overview.aspx
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

When we went to boone ville NY show WM had a shingle maker on a lt28 but I think all it could produce was shingles, Would be nice to just have the resaw and siding maker as an ad-on (hint-hint)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

bikedude73

Hey Bibbyman I went to WM Indy to the open house and they had that there and it was impressive.  Very fast and seemed to be so easy to adjust.  Great if you are not portable... :P  And again thanks for all your help in my long and indepth planning stage of this business.  Do you ever get to Indiana??  I am about 40 miles south if Indy  Thanks again!!!!!! :P

tyb525

I saw the Laks frame saw in the last issue of Sawmill & Woodlot. It looks interesting. Up to 15 cuts at once I think?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Captain

I've always been interested in a resaw to run beside the swingmill....cut product double thick and run it through the resaw to speed production.

Captain

Bibbyman

Quote from: bikedude73 on September 27, 2009, 12:34:01 PM
Do you ever get to Indiana?? 

We get there for some reason or another every couple of years or so.  I've not been to one of their open houses but have been to both their 20'th and 25'th anniversary parties.

We often attend the open house they have at Mt. Vernon, Mo.
Sawing since '94

Bruce_A

American lumber and pallet magazine is a free publication with lots of band resaw manufacturers in it.

tyb525

I get that magazine, right now it seems to be geared mostly towards the pallet and mulch industry.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Bibbyman

Quote from: bikedude73 on September 27, 2009, 12:34:01 PM
Great if you are not portable...

I got to thinking about the "portable" part. 

With a gas or diesel engine, it wouldn't be too hard to take it to a job site or someplace that does not have electricity.  It only weighs about 1,000 lbs.  It wouldn't be too hard to mount it on a light utility trailer and tow to the job site or figure some way to put it on a skid and lift it into the back of the PU.
Sawing since '94

nas

Looks interesting.  Maybe something I can make my Norwood into now that I have the LT40?

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Bibbyman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKhQh4YhHxU

I think this is the same video that's on the AWMV site.  It looks like Kevin Corder on the back end of the resaw. 
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

it looks interesting and I like the idea of the single phase motor, but it still needs a board return on it.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Kevin_H. on September 27, 2009, 08:53:22 PM
it looks interesting and I like the idea of the single phase motor, but it still needs a board return on it.

You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to figure out some kind of kicker for the back side that would push the cant off the board onto a set of rollers that would slope down to the operator on the front side. 

Maybe kick everything off onto a return rollers or conveyor so it would return to the operator who could stack the board and push the cant back through.

Sounds like a future option for WM?
Sawing since '94

Mikey H

Quote from: sdunston on September 27, 2009, 10:20:37 AM
When we went to boone ville NY show WM had a shingle maker on a lt28 but I think all it could produce was shingles, Would be nice to just have the resaw and siding maker as an ad-on (hint-hint)
Sam

We're listening!  Even though it was set up as a shingle maker at Boonville, it was shown with an optional belt.The standard belt works just like any resaw. 
Mike Hanlon
I work for Wood-Mizer in the Sales Department.  I am the Account Manager for 8 of our 15 US locations and I oversee the Christian Missions equipment discounts and donations.
mhanlon@woodmizer.com

Kevin_H.

Bibby I was thinking of a set of rollers under it, so the boards and cants would come off the end fall onto the rollers and roll back to the operator, but it might be kinda low to be bending over and picking up boards all day long
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

MartyParsons

The tail man is Burl T. We will have the  HR120  25 hp here on October 13. It should be running on the open House in PA October 24. 23 is for WM owners. If you are in our area you shoud get a invite to come. If not let me know.
Marty
Should have the Duel tooth setter, Single blade edger, Belt resaw attachment and the Simple Set works here all new for WM.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

If you note in the video that Burl (sorry Kevin) is giving the cants what looks to be a slight push down the roller table that looks to have about 4" of drop.  They make power rollers that only take a small electric motor to move stuff.  I think the trick would be to rig something to kick it off on the back side.

We push 7x9 ties and bigger down skate rollers with very little effort.  If the rollers are downhill just a little, you have to watch or they keep on going!
Sawing since '94

Warren

WM had the new resaw at the KY Wood Expo last week in London.  Someone at WM had mistakenly hung a $2,962 price tag on one side of the unit.  I was ready to write a check on the spot !  The WM sales guy (Charlie ?) working the tent was busy with another customer.  By the time I got back, it had the proper $6,995 price tag.  DanG !

Looks like a decent unit.  What was most appealing to me was that it is supposed to be able to take 16" wide x 12" tall.  Should be able to run bigger slabs without any additional break down. 

-w-
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

dMizer

Warren, we were running a 5 minute special for $2962. Not!

Marty will have the HR120 resaw at his PA open house and we'll be showing it at Paul Bunyan and the Ozark Fall Farmfest in MO.

Both the HR120 and the Resaw attachment come with a standard belt for resawing and you can get a shingle belt as an option.

The HR120 is fairly portable with the gas engine option and only 1000 lbs. We've been hauling them to shows in regular pickups.

Bibbyman

Any thoughts of adding a cant return option so one man can run it?  Looks like that would double its productivity as in Mary could run it while I knock out cants.

P.S.  Mary and I were thinking about going to the Ozark Farm Fest show in Springfield, MO.  Now I think we'll try harder to make it.
Sawing since '94

dMizer

Good suggestion on the board return. We've kicked some options around so stay tuned... We don't want Mary to work too hard so it has to be done RIGHT!   ;)

I know Jim Brown will be at Ozark. Hope to see you there.

Bibbyman

Good!  I'm real sure we'll be there.  I always like to visit with J.B!

BTW,  Welcome to the Forum!
Sawing since '94

Hilltop366

I noticed another re-saw had a piece of steel at a angle after the cut so the bottom board goes under it and the cant is pushed over to the return,  (sorry wm but it looked to easy not to mention)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S8CnZHQYtc&feature=player_embedded

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

backwoods sawyer

One of the problems with designing an out feed with a return feature is that not every one will be using it in the same way. That out feed would work real good for pallet stock and other short wood. But if someone wanted to use it for 12' siding it would not work, the principle would work and is used in many applications, just not on the same scale.

But if you add a second out feed belt to separate the wood as it comes out, followed by a jump chain to a set of tipple arms that would separate the pieces and you could send the cant back around to the operator, and the board on down the system.

For the small sawmill set up wanting to increase production for very little capital it would be a good investment. Taking it portable however, it would have limited usage with out adding helpers.

Is there a video of the single saw edger in action?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Kansas

The resaw we have has a board return, which works great for pallet material. The piece of metal that allows the bottom board to go on and moves over the cant to the return belt is easily removable for running long material through.

Bibbyman

Mary and I made a quick trip down and back to the Ozark Farmfest in Springfield, Mo. today.  Acers of farm stuff.  Wood-Mizer and Baker were there side by side in one corner of the large fair grounds.

Mike McNail demonstrating one of there model 18HD mills.  Nice manual log deck. We visited with Mike for a few minutes. 

J.B. of Wood-Mizer demonstrating an LT40HD mill.  They also brought and LT15, a single blade edger and the new HS120.

Here J.B. is pusing some heavy walnut slabs into one end of the HD120 and Mary is pulling out the board and thin slab on the other side.  Pretty slick outfit!

Sawing since '94

ShowMeSawyer

Just got back from the Ozark Farmfest, did a bunch of walking. I took a look at the new HD120 and it is a slick little outfit. I asked about an electric motor option and was told a 10hp single phase motor will be an option.

The Baker Boys had a real nice 18HD with the hyd option on the head, looked real good too.

The HD120 was one of the reasons I attended the Farmfest Show, the other reason was to purchase a log splitter from one of the Forestry Forum sponsers that was setup at the show.....will be getting a Timberwolf TW5 x 36" to play with in a month or so.

My thanks to Wood-Mizer, Baker Products and Timberwolf for being at the Ozark FarmFest Show.

SMS

Thank You Sponsors!