iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pasbuild's and Reddog's most excellent adventure!

Started by Reddog, September 26, 2009, 10:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog

So finding it fall time, it was off to the UP for some good times.  8)
This to me is a memoral ride in a way also for nailhead, and the places he shared with us.
Just a couple teaser's,

And some of these,

A few of these,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNbry665sfQ
And always, Redd the dog.

Reddog

So in making my way, I pass close to Corley5's house.
So we decide to spend a couple days at a local rustic State forest campground.

The prerequisite is always water for the dog. But I was in it quite a bit this year also. The weather stayed warm and so did the water.
As we needed to get some camp wood, and corley5 has it stacked by his pudding stone. I got a picture of the stone and my company.

For acouple of days it was riding some of the tomohawk single track loops.

After corley5 got home from the logging congress, we did a little riding looking at the sites.

Reddog

zzzz_smiley
horn_smiley
Is anybody out there?

Well any way might as well keep going, I talk to myself as it is.

So we had a few days before pasbuild was to show up.
I planned to do some riding and firewood gathering. First thing was to go and see how bad the Burma trail was this year.
Not to bad.

So off to see what I could find that had been shown to me in the past.
Leatherby falls was nice.

As was the clear cut with a view just up the road from it.

Mooseherder

Great Pictures of your adventure. 8)

That first one of the Viking is scary. :D
I would love to have been on that ride in the beautiful U.P. again.

Reddog

Mooseherder, you name the time and I will guide you on what I have found. My list is getting shorter on areas we went that I had not found yet. Pasbuild just laughs and says Thanks for showing me around my neighborhood. ;D

So Friday night the Mrs.'s and I decide to go to town for some supplies.
Wondering if pasbuild is on his way or not, we see this outfit parked at a local eatery for dinner.

So we know he will be at camp when we get back. Or where to look along the road on the way to camp. :D
So the next day was spent setting up the mill and cutting some cedar for one of the camps owners, while the other camp owner tried to convince us to make it all into firewood or kindling. :-X

Bob has some pics of the milling day. ;)

sprucebunny

Looks like some fine fall fun !!

Thanks for the pictures  8) 8)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

WDH

If you find another curly maple log, I want it :D.  Actually, curly anything will do  :).  Looks like y'all are having a grand time!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fishpharmer

Nice  pics Reddog.  Is that dog a chocolate lab?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Reddog

fishpharmer

Thanks,  Nice looking dog. 

Splain to me, is the Norwood owner someone you knew or mere coincidence meeting?

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Reddog

That is pasbuild here on the forum.
It is a friends of his camp that we park our camper at for a week or so.

fishpharmer

Mooseherder

Reddog,  It's your turn to come visit me. ;D
We have many miles of trails in Maine.  Bring Friends. :)

Reddog

Quote from: WDH on September 27, 2009, 07:45:26 PM
If you find another curly maple log, I want it :D.  Actually, curly anything will do  :).  Looks like y'all are having a grand time!

No great finds like last year in the wood department.
Did find a few stumps that looked promising, but they where a long way from the road.
Same with a couple burls, would need a skidder to get them out. That one in the first group of pictures was about 3' in dia. but down a hill :'(

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Looks like a great time but to be honest that viking guy should be careful....the bucks in rut might think he's competition. ;D

pasbuild

It sure was nice to get to spend some time with Mary & Wally again this year 8) the weather couldn't have been any better the colors were starting to pop out and even though it was the opener of bird season we hardly seen anybody in the woods.
One of the camp owners has been after me to saw some cedar for him all summer but I just couldn't find the time to get up there and get it done for him so this little weekend outing worked out well for everybody.  We set up the mill Saturday and took our time going through the pile of logs he had, some of them were rejected as he had drug them a mile down the road with his old Jeep :o

I put my leadership skills to work and found a job for everybody 

while I kept a close eye on things to make sure everything went smooth.

We finished up with a little over 700bf. and about 2½ face cord of fire wood.

Wally and I went on an 80 mile ride Sunday that had us stop and visit with a couple of friends in Skanee, over to Big Eric's and down the Dodge City trail before we headed south on 510 to the red rd. and up to Silver Lake. From there we headed over to the Peterson's camp taking a route I have never been on before.
Thanks again for showing me  around my back yard and lets do it again next year.
OH and thanks to Mary for helping to keep Ritchard in line for the weekend. :D

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

pasbuild

Quote from: WDH on September 27, 2009, 07:45:26 PM

Richard and I did go back and get some of the larger branches from that curly Maple and sawed them up while the mill was up there.
THEY WERE NICE ;)

Reddog

Bob, thanks for letting me run your mill and for letting me fry the lake trout and potatoes. Hey wait a minute, I am starting to see a pattern here smiley_headscratch.
Oh and I am not a real Sawyer yet, I only managed to pop the blade off a couple times. No hitting the back stops or the dogs. I guess too many years of running milling machines and cutting off hold downs pays off at some point.

Funny story with our Sunday ride,
I took my dirt bike which does not have a head light. So my wife figured we would be back by dark.
So we stop and see a few of Bob's friends in Skanee. Have a good laugh with them and decide we need to get a move on. That is where the Viking hat came from; leave it to Kelly to have that in his garage.
We are going to go from Skanee to Big bay on the northwest trail and then check fuel, deciding if we need to fuel up at Big bay or head for camp on the south route.
As we are pulling up to the Northwest trail I stop to make sure Bob still wants to go that way or we could shorten the day up and take a different route. As I am setting there stopped Bob goes zooming by and I think to myself well that answers that question, and start jamming gears to catch him.

We make it to the turn to head for Big bay and decide we have enough fuel to head for camp and cut out that 10 mile round trip. But we also know we are going to be close on day light. So as we are working our way around Silver Lake, we come to an intersection. I am trying to figure out on the Gps if it where I think we are, low and behold we are right where we thought. So we head the last few miles for camp just before dark.
As we pull up to camp the mill and all of the gear for Bob is out by the road. The truck is pointed at us, and I am thinking boy didn't know Bob was planning to leave tonight. Well he wasn't but Richard was. :D
To the point he had Mary a little worried on why we weren't back yet. So long story short I gave Richard a ride up a hill in the truck to where a cell phone will work and he got released for another nights stay. So when we get back to camp Bob is getting the sauna fired up and we start dinner cooking. Bob asks Richard if he is going to use the sauna that night. Like a response from a kid at camp, No I am going home tomorrow and can take a shower there in the morning! Made me laugh thinking about his reaction.
I need to load some more pictures from our Monday ride. Hopefully that can happen tomorrow. :)

Reddog

So Monday Bob and I went for a little ride.
So Richard is asking Bob, when are we headed home? In 2 hours, 4, 8, 10?
Bob's answer, probably not 2 but maybe by 8 hours. ;D

So off we go looking for some of the lakes in the area.

And it is amazing what a yellow Birch can cling too.

And another nice lake.

And finally Richard got to go home! :D

Reddog

We also made a trip to the Copper harbor.
Decided to go out to the tip. Too the old Rocket Range.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keweenaw_(Rocket_launch_site)
http://www.gt.org/keweenaw-rocket-base/

Then on the way down the east side we stopped to let Redd have some fun.

WDH

I can see that Red is thinking, "Oh no, I am not ready to get back in the truck yet!"

Burlkraft

Ya gotta watch them Yoopers and the sauna  :D  :D

I seem to remember a time when a couple of Yoopers went in da sauna and didn't come out for quite a while

We were all wondering what was up with that....... smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pasbuild

I think Wally remembers the very same, he kept his distance when it was sauna time ;D

Reddog

Na it's not that instance.
I had some Finnish friends that use to steam me out all the time. 

Reddog

So Mary and I decided to go too Big Bay for lunch.
On the way this guy wondered across the road and then let me take a picture.

Then we stopped at the Rock overlooking Big Bay.
Nice how you can see the Keweenaw on clear day.

The Inn is always a good stop for lunch.
After lunch we headed to Skanee. On the way we stopped and walked back into some CFS land to see what was back there.
Found some left over Thimble berries.

Then on the way home we kept flushing woodcocks along the side of the road. So I stopped and got a picture of one.

Corley5

We had a good ride around here that evening except for the extreme dust  :)  You still gonna be at Weber in a couple weeks  ??? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

Quote from: Reddog on September 29, 2009, 08:59:34 PM
Na it's not that instance.
I had some Finnish friends that use to steam me out all the time. 

Are you tellin' us that if not for your Finnish friends you would spend hours in da sauna with a couple of nekkid Yoopers?  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Roxie

I've really enjoyed following your adventure.  Especially the dog.   :)

Say when

Reddog

Quote from: Corley5 on September 30, 2009, 07:47:57 AM
  We had a good ride around here that evening except for the extreme dust  :)  You still gonna be at Weber in a couple weeks  ??? 

It was a good time. 8)
Yep still planning on being there around the 8th thru the weekend.

Burlkraft,  :-X

Roxie, Thanks for the kind compliments. :)

pasbuild

Are you tellin' us that if not for your Finnish friends you would spend hours in da sauna with a couple of nekkid Yoopers?     

Steve ya need ta get yer head outa da gutter  ::)

Patty

I'm gonna try to ignore the mental image of 2 naked yoopers..... :o

What a great adventure!  8) Your trees are about 3 weeks ahead of ours down here.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Are you saying that they would pale in comparison to non-Yoopers?

Thank You Sponsors!