iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Nailing in green wood

Started by stumpy, September 24, 2009, 06:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumpy

If I nail up some green wood, say pine or oak,  as the wood dries and shrinks, will it shrink tight around the nail or shrink away from the nail?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

beenthere

Across the grain, it will get tighter. Along the grain it will stay the same.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jasperfield

If it's a hardwood it will likely crack/split near the nail.  However, It might not.

The old barns & sheds here were built (from 1910-1945) with chestnut, poplar, hemlock, & pine. Where nails were used, they were much larger diameter nails than we'd use today.

Everything, I believe, was built with green wood; And about 15% of the nailed boards split somewhat. Most did not.

I don't know the season or moon of the felling, sawing, or building.

I'd expect some splitting, particularly with hardwoods.

Jasperfield

Banjo picker

An ole trick to keep wood from splitting from  a nail is to whack the point with a hammer before driving it up....dulling the point helps...you'll have to get someone else to tell you why...i only know it works....call it experience or what ever....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

kelLOGg

Blunting the nail point makes it act like a punch going thru hard wood fiber when it is driven. A sharp point will part the fiber as it passes thru making it prone to split. This is probably more true for hardwood than soft. This sounds reasonable to me - does anybody else buy it?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

beenthere

In addition to Stumpy's question, the wood will shrink between the nails across the grain. That may cause splitting as the wood shrinks, pulling tight on the nails. :)

Banjo  picker and kelLOGg
I buy it.  :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lmbeachy

Quote from: kelLOGg on September 24, 2009, 07:58:51 PM
Blunting the nail point makes it act like a punch going thru hard wood fiber when it is driven. A sharp point will part the fiber as it passes thru making it prone to split. This is probably more true for hardwood than soft. This sounds reasonable to me - does anybody else buy it?
Bob

I buy it, it does work, but I don't know why either. Lester
hotfoot

backwoods sawyer

I just came in from nailing up some old dry Doug-fir, (customer wanted to use old wood for the frame and new wood for sheeting) talk about being prone to splitting.
I have nailed up a lot of green wood with out any splitting issues, then or later as it dry's.
If you look at an old barn that has been around for 100+ years, you will see some split boards, but take a look at how the nail holes are wallered out. Then step back and think about all the wind that that barn has seen over that time. As far as nails holding in green wood as it dries, it will be many years before they start to loosen up if the barn is relatively solid.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Kcwoodbutcher

I've found that nailing uncoated nails in oak will lead to corrosion of the nail by the acid in the wood. A good galvanized nail helps.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

nas

Quote from: kelLOGg on September 24, 2009, 07:58:51 PM
Bob
That is correct Bob.  Square nails also work to prevent splitting if they are oriented to cut the grain rather than part it.(point cross grain)

Nick

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Toolman

8 yrs ago I built an addition to my saw shed using ash boards for siding. They were green and I pre- drilled holes and used ceramic coated deck screws to fasten them. I also used a counter-sink bit on each hole prior to driving screws. It has worked well. I hung boards vertically and added batten strips after about 6 months. I used a finishing nail gun to fasten them. The drilling and counter sinking bit were a little time consuming, but no boards are splitting either.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Chuck White

I agree with Bob!
What it boils down to is the difference between driving a wedge and driving a punch through the boards!
The wedge (pointed nail) will part fibers and the punch (dulled nail) will pretty-much just make a hole!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Brucer

Quote from: Chuck White on September 25, 2009, 06:43:38 AM
What it boils down to is the difference between driving a wedge and driving a punch through the boards!
The wedge (pointed nail) will part fibers and the punch (dulled nail) will pretty-much just make a hole!

Yep, that's exactly what happens. Softwoods like Douglas-Fir and Larch tend to split with pointed nails, too.

Now the downside of blunting the nails and nailing into green wood ... the wedging action of the pointed nail in dry wood provides the holding power. If you blunt the nail, you loose some of that holding power 'cause you're tearing the fibres. With green wood, the fibres crush as the nail pushes through; when the wood dries it doesn't apply as much pressure. Nailing through green wood into dry wood isn't a problem.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

stumpy

So, if I got this right, If I nail into a green 1x6, the drying action will shrink around the nail and hold it tighter rather than shrinking away from it.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Magicman

I'm very frequently asked to saw green oak to be used for roof lathing when folks are installing metal roofing.  They say that as the oak drys, it will hold the nail or screw better.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin

JJ

preventing cracking during nailing is why hardwood flooring nails have flat points.
my finish nailer uses flat pointed nails as well.

sdunston

If you are using an air nailer just take the clip of nails and run them across a belt sander to dull the points
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

LorenB

Quote from: stumpy on September 27, 2009, 07:59:30 AM
So, if I got this right, If I nail into a green 1x6, the drying action will shrink around the nail and hold it tighter rather than shrinking away from it.

Common wisdom to the contrary, studies have shown that a plain-shank nail driven into green wood will not hold as well, even after the wood dries, as a nail driven into dry wood.  This is not true for helically-threaded nails.  Those nails will hold better after the wood dries. 

See page 7-7 in "Wood Handbook".  It's available as a download at:
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/products/publications/several_pubs.php?grouping_id=100&header_id=p

Also see:
http://www.unitload.vt.edu/research/WOODBulletin-53.pdf

Also see the reference to Bacher's study in:
http://www.mdpi.org/ijms/papers/i9040626.pdf

Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

Thank You Sponsors!