iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello new here.. I have an Old Sears(Belsaw)

Started by firemanmarc, September 24, 2009, 01:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firemanmarc

Apparently my father in law received this mill from his father in law..  Anyway during the build of the saw his dad got sick and here it sets.   Does anyone have a manual for this beast..  I called Timberking and they say it is at best from the 30's, though my father-in-law says it is not that old..   I know these are not production units, etc...  I live on my in-laws dairy farm.   It has got to be faster than my chainsaw mill.   Any help is greatly appreciated..  Marc

apm

Hi Marc and welcome to the forum! You've understated it greatly when you said it'd be faster than your chainsaw mill. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised. There's a number of Belsaw users, here. I know it's probably the last thing you want to hear, but there is no substitute for pictures if you're looking for help.

Belsaws are relatively easy to set up and get running. What are your specific questions?

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

firemanmarc

Hello..  Well it is all in pieces and don't really have anything to go off of.  I appreciate any insight into the setup and put together of this thing..  Thank you, Marc

James P.

Hi Marc welcome , you will get the help you need here. Do a search of Belsaw while you wait. I am sure someone will come along and direct you in the right direction to manuals . All I can say from what I have seen of them is they are nice mills. Its up to you how nice a setup you want. Tripp has a great  setup . the envy of a few handset mill owners. Good luck
James P

apm

Try this link. There's an instruction sheet and parts list from a 1940 Belsaw. Also a lot of other good info.   http://www.owwm.com/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=86&tab=3

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

Greenskeeper

Welcome to the FF Marc.I have a Sears Belsaw that I play with,it is a 1936 brass tag model.Photos of it are in my gallery.Don't worry it will smoke your chainsaw mill.Not to hard to set one up,just put it on something solid.

fishpharmer

Welcome Marc.  This is THE place to learn about sawmills.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

tmroper

I have a belsaw and will be glad to help you anyway I can. 

Magicman

I can't answer your question, but I can say Welcome to FF..... 8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tripp

Welcome Marc,

I second APM's link to the owwm page. I downloaded a m14 setup manual from that site.
It covers most information needed. I have found it most helpful to look at other folks mills. In person or in pics. I learn something new almost every time I see a new one.

Is your feed works flat belt driven or v belt driven? I am not sure when the changeover ocoured but the flat belt ones are older.

Keep at it and you will be sawing soon.

Tripp

Thank You Sponsors!