iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 15 Single Phase 10 hp?

Started by luke, September 12, 2003, 08:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke

I have an oppurtunity to manage some timberland, and am thinking about getting a new LT 15 electric for this project. The management is on my own time, and there is no deadline, I am planning on sawing hemlock, poplar, white oak, red oak, beech and sycamore, with most diameters about 12" to 16" in diameter, 1 to 2 trees a day to cut down and saw up would be enough.

Is this a pretty good saw for the money?  :P
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Bibbyman

Lot of LT15 guys here on the Forum and they have posted a lot of good stuff about the mill - all with gas engines. But I don't know of anyone that has one in electric yet.

I seen one up at Indy and have posted some info about them and think the LT15 in electric would be an excellent idea where you can saw where you can plug it in.

Get one and let us know.  I think WM will give you 30 days to decide if it's the mill for you.  They're betting it will be. ;)

(Didn't you already ask this question?)

LT 15 Single Phase 10 hp
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

biziedizie

Luke why ya going with electric??? Is there a reason that you prefer electric over gas  :P
  If you're going to cut just a few trees a day can you justify spending the money on a WM when there's other mills out there that compare in quality that are lower in price???
  I think WM makes a good product but from the research that I did when I was looking for an affordable mill I found the LT15 to be exaggerated in price compared to other makes.
  I also found that nearly every make of mill has a 30 day money back deal happening and to tell you the truth by the time you get used to sawing with the mill the 30 days is up and you will still have alot to learn. So when does a guy have enough time to say that they don't like it and send it back???
  I found that even after I paid shipping and taxes it wouldn't be worth sending a mill back as a person would be into it for big money anyways.

Steve

pappy

Luke,
1 - 2 trees per day, I think any small portable band mill would be what you would need,  you could prepare the logs for a couple days -bring in the saw for a few hours, then toss the lumber in the truck and head her home then do it all over next week  ;D
sounds like a great hobby to me  :D :D

termite

P.S. don't forget slab removal, a bonfire on Friday night w/ beans and dorkers of course;  :D ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

biziedizie

Termite what's a dorker ??? ::) :P :D :D :D :D

Steve

pappy

biziedizie,
Weiner, tube steak, mystery meat, dogs, hot dogs, how many names does it have ?
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

biziedizie

Ahhhh yes now I know whatcha mean ;D

Steve

D._Frederick

Luke,
The 10hp motor on a manual mill will saw all the logs and lumber that you want to move around by your self in a days time. This size motor,with proper wiring, will work the pants off of  a 25 hp gas engine. As far as brands of manual mills, there are a lot of them out there. As far as the WM LT15, I don't think that the crank and rope carriage drive system is the most user friendly, your arm and shoulder  will let you know by the end of the day. WM has enough shows around the country, go watch and try running it yourself, then you can make up your mind if this is the saw you want. I would look at the mill manufactures that have a good track record of building bandsawmills, if you get tired of it, you can get most of you investment back,

Jason_WI

Hey Luke,

Take a look at www.norwoodindustries.com. I have a LM 2000 and an Edgemate. There are a few others on the forum that also have a LM 2000. The cost is less but you have to build your mill. Lots of bolts. I have had no problems with the bolt together bed and I have two, four foot extentions so I can saw to 21'.

It is perfect for your application of a few logs a day. 500 - 800 bf alone in a day is possible with this mill. Don't believe the ads when they say: "Saw 2000 bf in a day...", cause you'll be dead. Maybe with a crew and an edger but with just a manual mill and 1 man 500 - 800 bf a day is reasonable.

Get as much HP as you can afford. 20 HP honda is what is on my mill. Electric may not attract too many buyers if you decide to sell in the future. It limits it's ability to saw anywhere, unless you drag a generator set around.

I have sawn all day with a 3 man crew on 3 gallons of gas and have sawn as much as 900 bf of birch in 3 hours with the LM 2000. Again, I was not alone but it does have the capacity when you have the help.

I buy my blades from Wood-Mizer. I use their .045, 9 degree Double Hard blades. I also send the dull blades back to their RESHARP center. Resharp blades saw just as good as new. I could not justify spending $2000+ on DECENT sharpening and setting equipment and I barely have time to saw as it is let alone doing blade maintainance. I use the time saved towards sawing.

I have 30 blades and when 15 get dull I box them up and sent them in. Usually takes 10 or so business days before I see them back at my door.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

KiwiJake

The Peterson 8" 13hp ATS swing mill will do anything you need it to do, thinkerf , no ongoing blade cost, any sized diameter log abillity, conisistant straight cuts, fits in a trailer and can set up in 10 mins with one man. It's priced around the same price and I think Vermonter (petersonmills.com) has one in stock.

Click on the left red Peterson and click on the right ATS picture (thats the mill I'm talking about, live video).

Just something to get ya thinkin :)

KiwiJake

The gap is a bit more than I had first thought, ATS is $8300 to the LT15 $5500 (just had a look on the mizer site). The ATS will however give you more versatillity consistant true cuts and a much higher production when you need it.

The single phase option is a question in my mind aswell, you have so much more flexabillity with a petrol motor eg. misc jobs down the road that your neighbours been bugging you to come and do. You would have to bring the logs to the mill, rather than stacking the timber onto your trailer and leaving the left overs elswhere. But we all have our preference setup.
Goodluck with what ever you choose to go with I'm sure it will work out for you.

Norm

I don't mean this to be a electric versus combustion engine arguement but since we run an electric mill I give my 2 cents worth. Electric is the way to go if you have no intention of going on the road. There is no maintenance, fuel worries, fumes, it's quiet as heck, lots of power, starts everytime hot or cold, and I'll bet if you wanted to take it mobile there are lots of places that would have the power available to plug in to.
I have never seen the LT15 run so have no idea if it's a good mill for the money, but I sure like my electric one.

Rod

I think a 10 hp elet would be equal to a 25 hp gas. :P

biziedizie

Norm you're right about electric being quiet, it's very cool being able to think and not going home deaf ;D
  First time I heard an electric saw it was neat hearing just the blade zipping through the log :)

Steve

KiwiJake

I'm a bit suspect about the 10elect-25petrol, I know there is slight power difference as the ellectric is more consistant but that seems a bit high.

We some times put 3 phase on our mills and a 15kw motor seems around the same as our 24hp motors (maybe a little less power).

Ellectric IS nice, quiet, low overall running expence, but you lose all your portable flexabillity and must operate within it's  power outlet limits. You would have to have a heck of a generator.

Rod

I think a 10 hp elet motor would take a 50 amp breaker.About the same size breaker as an elet stove.You could make an extinction cord.

D._Frederick

A 10 hp, 1750 rpm has a full load torque output of 30 ft-lbs continuous. A 25hp gas engine has about a maximum torgue of 35-40 ft-lbs.  When used with a manual band mill, this motor is operating at full power no more than 50% of the time. When needed, this motor can put out double the torque for short periods of time, where as the 25hp aircooled gas engine will just choke down. Also most engines should be derated by 10-20% to increase the life of the engine. This how the smaller hp motor will "pull the pants" off of a engine that has a break hp 2 1/2 times larger.

Kevin

I can't comment on the electric but I do own an LT-15 and I'm very happy with the machine and the service.
An electric mill just wouldn't suit my present needs.
I don't want to bash the competition in all fairness to them but I won't hesitate in telling anyone that the LT-15 is a work horse and the crank system is very easy to operate all day long.
It is a manual mill and the loading and turning takes a little time and effort but it's all part of the adventure!  ;)

luke

Sounds like a pretty good saw for the money, and my project. The reason that I want the electric motor is, less maintenance for one, quiter and no gas fumes, less hassle of not buying gasoline and putting it into the machine. The woodmizer resharp program sounds good also. I see that woodmizer also offers in house financing and the option to buy over the internet with your credit card.
Checking into grade sawing, building a dry kiln and moulding machines.

Bibbyman

I've probably sawn a board or more on maybe a dozen LT15s and thought the cranking was no labor at all.  I've posted a number of people "in the act" cranking on one.

Here is one I've not published.

This big husky guy must weigh about 60 lbs.

He did have to "put his weight" into it on the return.

'Least he knows how to dress!  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bull

go for it!!! The LT 15 is a great starter mill and you won't have any regrets, they also maintain there value, I moved up to an LT 40 super and sold my lt 15 after owning it for 4 year for what i paid for it.... The crank is nothing and maintainance is a breeze on the 13 hp kohler gas and they have added many engine options..... I sold a friend on an LT 15 and he picked it up on Sunday 9/7 w/ 10 hp Yanmar Diesel.
Had the WM boys from NY Dave and Kyle come to our town Fair....9,5 - 9,7..... They delivered a mill before they arrived on Thursday, one was picked up on Saturday LT 40 super w/ Kubota 42 hp diesel and they were delivering another LT 40 with Nissan 36 hp gas on their way home Sunday night.
Go Woodmizer......

Thank You Sponsors!